Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Milone is terrible

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

How in the world did this guy pitch so well with Oakland? I expected him to be more mediocre than good.... but never expected him to be this bad. He looks like the next Duensing. 

Do or do not. There is no try.

#2 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

How in the world did this guy pitch so well with Oakland? I expected him to be more mediocre than good.... but never expected him to be this bad. He looks like the next Duensing. 

Yeah he does not look good at all.  Low velocity pitcher with little movement on his pitches.  Not a good combination.  

#3 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Agreed, I don't know who to blame really. Milone, Anderson, or the fact that his shirt says "Minnesota" now.

• Danchat likes this

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

I blame it on bad kismet. The Twins should hire a swami to flush the metaphysical pipes out. 

Too eerily familiar.

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Billy Beane knew.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 10,866 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

Agreed, I don't know who to blame really.

Scouting?

I shall not mention Caesar's avarice, nor his cunning, nor his morality. Oops.

#7 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

Like I said...

#8 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

I hated watching him pitch today.I remember when he pitched to Oakland. 

Either he is:

1) Hurt

B) Traumatized by his demotion to AAA through no fault of his own and he has not been able to get his head screwed back on straight.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:55 PM

Billy Beane knew.

So did Terry Ryan.Remember he was traded for Sam Fuld.

This kind of illustrates my point that you don't have to keep rotation spots open for guys like Milone.He should be more of a plan B.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, raindog and 3 others like this

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation?

#10 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

Reminds me of Scott Diamond.No margin for error because his stuff is below average. He was worth a shot but no one to plan on for next year.

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,815 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Milone has had some periods of good performance in the past.  I wish that Parker would do an article with videos comparing his past pitching with what we have seen recently.

• gil4 and big dog like this

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

He's a Diamond+ pitcher. I wouldn't end the discussion on him right now. It's a bad season all-around. He probably has a good start next time.

• Cris E likes this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

Not sure what people expected..........he was demoted to AAA and traded for a 4th OF. Though, I admit, he has been even worse than I expected.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#14 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'm really glad we're getting this out of the way now. One if these times the twins will strike gold (cough) with a Jamie Moyer.... right?

I don't really blame his lack of success on anyone. Only difference might be pitch selection, but he is the one throwing and can always shake signs. At the end of the day, he just shouldn't be factored into the future for this team.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 13,869 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'm really glad we're getting this out of the way now. One if these times the twins will strike gold (cough) with a Jamie Moyer.... right?

I don't really blame his lack of success on anyone. Only difference might be pitch selection, but he is the one throwing and can always shake signs. At the end of the day, he just shouldn't be factored into the future for this team.

100% agreed. This is what a losing season is for, seeing players. Like, when your starter only goes 3.2 innings, you get a chance to see the RP you brought up, like they did last night........

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#16 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

There's a reason the A's were willing to trade Milone, a starter who still has options left, for a guy they had already taken off their roster once this season.They saw that his relatively shiny ERA was not much more than a mirage.

Milone looks like another Scott Diamond to me, which is fine until things go bad and he falls off a cliff.

• Cris E likes this

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, he's been a lot worse than I thought.  I guess it's only 20 innings so it's probably too early to panic but man, it's ugly.  I'm not sure it's anyone's "fault" anymore than leaving the Colosseum.  His ERA at home was about a full run better than on the road and I suspect that Oakland's large foul ball territory really helps mediocre pitchers look better than they are.  

But I agree with the general consensus that he shouldn't be blocking Meyer or May out of ST next year.

• birdwatcher and Cris E like this

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, he's been a lot worse than I thought.  I guess it's only 20 innings so it's probably too early to panic but man, it's ugly.  I'm not sure it's anyone's "fault" anymore than leaving the Colosseum.  His ERA at home was about a full run better than on the road and I suspect that Oakland's large foul ball territory really helps mediocre pitchers look better than they are.  

But I agree with the general consensus that he shouldn't be blocking Meyer or May out of ST next year.

In addition to that the Twins shouldn't avoid the SP FA market because they have to have an opening day spot for 3 of Milone, Meyer, May and a possibly injured Nolasco.As far as I can tell Milone, May and Meyer will still have options (1 option for the first two I think).

• birdwatcher likes this

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation?

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

Milone was squeezed out of the Oakland rotation by trades, not poor performance. He wasn't pitching too bad this year. And then........ he comes here. :)

I grant that Milone had a favorable Home/Away split at the Coliseum, but even so he's performed like a decent mid rotation starter for two and a half seasons. That's closer to Phil Hughes than a one hit wonder like Scott Diamond. IMO
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

Milone was squeezed out of the Oakland rotation by trades, not poor performance. He wasn't pitching too bad this year. And then........ he comes here. :)

I grant that Milone had a favorable Home/Away split at the Coliseum, but even so he's performed like a decent mid rotation starter for two and a half seasons. That's closer to Phil Hughes than a one hit wonder like Scott Diamond. IMO

He has a 4.54 ERA away from the Coliseum.That's nothing like Hughes and Hughes has the magical stuff.If you don't like the Diamond comp then Worley would be better.He had pitched well for two seasons but he had marginal stuff and he fell apart.Perhaps Milone can be decent but the most optimistic prediction should be a 4.00 ERA.Most likely he's in the 4.25-4.50 range.