Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Nick Gordon broke his thumb

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

Wow, yeah another injury is a bad thing but I surprised by the doom and gloom tone here. It's a finger injury. It's not major and it came at the end of the season, rather than the beginning. Bummer for Nick but that's all this really is - a bit of bum luck.

#22 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Which hand is it on? It also depends where he broke it. I broke my pinky on my right hand (I'm right handed) at the middle joint and they said that is the worst finger and place to have a break. I had surgery and was in a cast for close to 4 weeks and then had a removable cast for around another 2 weeks. Physical therapy was hard and it took a couple months before it was close to being back to normal.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,634 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

I think the lost time in instructionals is primarily and potentially important on the defensive side. Instructionals is where prospects get to focus on learning nuances of their positions and whether that's refining his SS skills or getting some work in at another position, it's unfortunate if Gordon misses that time this fall, even if it is not a major hurdle in his path to the big leagues.

I would agree with this. He'll get plenty of time to make it up, so it's not devastating, but it is lost time. It's unfortunate. 

#24 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Wow, yeah another injury is a bad thing but I surprised by the doom and gloom tone here. It's a finger injury. It's not major and it came at the end of the season, rather than the beginning. Bummer for Nick but that's all this really is - a bit of bum luck.

Yeah, agreed, but it's just one more stick on the enormous flaming bonfire of lost time for our top prospects.By itself, this is not a huge deal, but in combination with Sano/Buxton/Meyer/everyone else, it's just starting to get really, really old.

#25 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, agreed, but it's just one more stick on the enormous flaming bonfire of lost time for our top prospects.By itself, this is not a huge deal, but in combination with Sano/Buxton/Meyer/everyone else, it's just starting to get really, really old.

I get that it's yet another injury, but I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. Sano / Buxton / Meyer were bigger blows because all of them had a very good shot at making their big league debuts this season. The future faces of the franchise all having rough injury years can certainly get old (I'm with everybody on that front) and I agree, in aggregate, it could seem overwhelming / frustrating.  

This injury didn't cost Gordon a season like Buxton's did and it shouldn't set him back on his development, be a reocccuring problem or otherwise delay his path to the big leagues (which is still several years away).  

I'm just saying those throwing up their arms and declaring "Oh another injury disaster!" might be overreacting a bit. That's all.

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Ready To Smell Baseball

• Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

I get that it's yet another injury, but I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. 

Why should this be any different than anything else on TD?  We've got more mountains than the Rockies (and I don't mean the baseball team).

• iTwins likes this

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

That damn Rick Anderson.

• Thrylos, mike wants wins and Mike Frasier Law like this