Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Twins survey questions posted on Twitter by Darren Wolfson

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thought the survey topic that the Minnesota Twins sent Darren Wolfson and his responses on Twitter as a likely season ticket holder was interesting.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how committed to winning a World Series do you feel the Minnesota Twins are?

The responses on Twitter do not bode well for Twins fans loyalty or to how Twins fans are feeling about the franchise right now. I'm doubting the Twins really will do anything with this survey but you never know.

This is an intersting survey question, we as fans would like to think this answer would be a 9 to 10, with the last four years many of us would likely rate the Twins comittment to winning a World Series at about a .5 to a 2 on that 10 scale,

Objectively right now I would give them about a  6-7  In drafting and scouting talent they have improved quite a bit the last three years in the minor leagues. In Free agency I would give them about a4 so a D minus even with the Hughes signing as an outlier.  In player development of younger players at the major league level I would give them a 1 to 2. Only really two young players showing much the last few years in Santanna and Vargas in there first call ups to the big leagues.

On a comittment level you feel as a fan from the ownership group I would give them a -.5 They continue to cut payroll every year and have invested in some pretty bad contracts the last two years, in  Nolasco and Pelfrey and the fact that they continue to employ Rick Anderson as pitching coach and Ron Gardenhire as manager. This is almost like the Hughes signing is cancelled out by Nolasco and Pelfrey. Worst team ERA in baseball for two consecutive years does not lead to competitive winning baseball teams. Until the Twins fix the starting pitching not a lot of what they do otherwise is going to matter.

What is a fair evaluation of the Minnesota Twins comittment to winning a World Series?

How many posters feel like even if the Twins do not like the results from the Survey they will continue with the status quo and pay lip service to making real organizational change? On a scale of 1-10 I would rate the chance of the Twins ownership making any changes to there management at about a 0 to 1 chance.

Edited by jaimedude2, 02 September 2014 - 05:03 PM.

• Kwak likes this

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,989 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think that it is not a matter of commitment.It is a matter of goals and where you set them.

I don't think that this iteration of the Twins (post strike) has ever set the goal to winning a World Series. And if your goal is to have a winning record and win the division, these Twins have been pretty much successful.They achieved their goal.And the majority of the fans have been happy with that.Really.Rewind to 2010.Imagine that the last 4 seasons did not happen. How happy was the Twins' Territory? I think pretty spiffy happy.And no post season wins, much more World Series appearances. If everyone is happy with an effort level of 6 why go to 9 or 10?  

Simple.

Now that the Twins have been basement dwellers the last 4 years and have been resembling the early Ryan teams, the fans are not happy. This looks like 2000 all over again (minus the contraction threat.) I hope that people learned their lesson and set their expectations higher than "competing" or "winning the division" when the Twins will be good again...

• Kwak likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

I think that it is not a matter of commitment.It is a matter of goals and where you set them.

I don't think that this iteration of the Twins (post strike) has ever set the goal to winning a World Series. And if your goal is to have a winning record and win the division, these Twins have been pretty much successful.They achieved their goal.And the majority of the fans have been happy with that.Really.Rewind to 2010.Imagine that the last 4 seasons did not happen. How happy was the Twins' Territory? I think pretty spiffy happy.And no post season wins, much more World Series appearances. If everyone is happy with an effort level of 6 why go to 9 or 10?  

Simple.

Now that the Twins have been basement dwellers the last 4 years and have been resembling the early Ryan teams, the fans are not happy. This looks like 2000 all over again (minus the contraction threat.) I hope that people learned their lesson and set their expectations higher than "competing" or "winning the division" when the Twins will be good again...

+1,000

#4 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Having a goal of winning a World Series is a noble goal, when it is unachievable.I'd rather see the goal be to Win the World Series by 2016.Then every move between now and then an be judged based on that stated goal.:)

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

How many posters feel like even if the Twins do not like the results from the Survey they will continue with the status quo and pay lip service to making real organizational change?

I wouldn't think much of a business that changed its organization on the advice of a poll.

• Cris E likes this

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Begin!

• Members
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:31 PM

I believe that the Twins commitment to winning a World Series is 0 -- and I believe that is what it has been for many, many years.

Their commitment is to maximizing profits.  Spending just enough to put b*tts in the seats while minimizing risk.

They were very good at this for some time.  They had some nice surprises on the winning front but never enough to put them into playoff victories -- but that didn't matter because that wasn't their goal.

This team is a business first.  The fact that it is built on competitive sporting events is secondary.

• mike wants wins likes this

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,989 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

another example from tonight (and that has happened many many times the last several years) :

In a team whose goal was to win the World Series, Schafer would have been benched after the last inning

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

another example from tonight (and that has happened many many times the last several years) :

In a team whose goal was to win the World Series, Schafer would have been benched after the last inning

I don't think teams with good management bench (or give playing time to) players based on one play.

Shafer shouldn't be counted on because he has a history of not hitting well, rather than because he overran a bag.

• ChiTownTwinsFan and Cris E like this

Go Twins!

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 8,541 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

I believe that the Twins commitment to winning a World Series is 0 -- and I believe that is what it has been for many, many years.

Their commitment is to maximizing profits.  Spending just enough to put b*tts in the seats while minimizing risk.

They were very good at this for some time.  They had some nice surprises on the winning front but never enough to put them into playoff victories -- but that didn't matter because that wasn't their goal.

This team is a business first.  The fact that it is built on competitive sporting events is secondary.

I agree that "maximizing the chances to earn a profit, every year" is goal number one for the Twins organization.  But I don't think that means their commitment to winning a WS is zero...I just think it comes in somewhere below "maximizing the chances to earn a profit."  Every year.

I also think how one views that prioritization is something of a litmus test on how one views the organization overall.

Go Twins!

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Begin!

• Members
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

I agree that "maximizing the chances to earn a profit, every year" is goal number one for the Twins organization.  But I don't think that means their commitment to winning a WS is zero...I just think it comes in somewhere below "maximizing the chances to earn a profit."  Every year.

I also think how one views that prioritization is something of a litmus test on how one views the organization overall.

I'm not saying that they don't want to win a WS  .... but I don't see that as a "commitment".

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

I would give them 4 or 5. Pretty much middle of the road of a baseball franchise.

I don't think they are absolutely trying to maximize profits each year, but they do want a profitable enterprise.

The on field goal seems to be long term sustained success and that seems reasonable. Baseball playoffs are random enough that the goal should be to make the playoffs as often as possible and take your chances.
  • Halsey Hall likes this
Papers...business papers.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

I don't think teams with good management bench (or give playing time to) players based on one play.

Shafer shouldn't be counted on because he has a history of not hitting well, rather than because he overran a bag.

Which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of their commitment to winning a WS. :)

• USAFChief likes this

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,910 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'd say that making money takes a huge precedence over winning the WS for this team. I keep reading how TR couldn't put any pieces on the roster in his last tenure here because ownership wouldn't give him the money. Given that I keep reading that over and over, not sure how that can be argued. Money first, winning a WS if they get lucky.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#14 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

I think their commitment to winning a division or a playoff spot is higher than their commitment to winning a World Series.My perception is that the Twins believe the playoffs are a complete crap-shoot and their postseason futility is the result of colossally bad luck and investment in better players would have only been a waste of money.

I'll also echo the sentiment that turning a profit is a higher priority than winning a World Series.

This survey is all about fan perception, so really there's no wrong answer.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

My perception is that the Twins believe the playoffs are a complete crap-shoot

Early adopters of Sabrmetrics?