Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

What would Phil Hughes get?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Right before Thanksgiving, the Minnesota Twins signed Phil Hughes to a 3 year, $21 million contract. 

At the time, risk was taken by both sides. Coming off of some disappointing seasons, the Twins took a risk in giving Hughes the money and the years. If he was bad, that could be a rough contract to deal with the next couple of years.

Hughes took some security, but he also gave up the situation that he finds himself in right now. Hughes has had a spectacular season and on Sunday won his 15th game. 

If he had signed a one year deal, he would be a free agent at the end of this season... as a 28-year-old. 

What kind of contract do you think Phil Hughes would get after this season if he were a free agent?

I think that 4-5 years is realistic. I also think he could be in the $12-15 million range. 

So, anywhere from 4 years, $48 million to 5 years, $75 million... 

What do you think?

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 10,376 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Naming $15M as the highest possible strikes me as low, particularly on a 4-year deal.$16, $17?You never know what some pitching-hungry high-revenue GM might decide.

Censor, n.:One who sticks his no's into other peoples business.

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hughes' chances for a huge payday might have been limited by the fact that the Yankees would not likely have been running up the bidding for him. Even after 1 great season, I'm not sure NY and/or their fans would be ready for a reunion. Still, he certainly would have been well compensated.

But for every Hughes, there's also a Nolasco.

• ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:44 PM

Probably Nolasco money (4/49), at best. Even with 2014, his record seems a rung below E. Santana, Garza, Jimenez from last winter. And there will be a couple "aces" drawing attention this winter too.

#5 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Before even reading most of the post I would have put it around Nolasco money also. 

#6 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:38 AM

Wasnt Hughes sgned for 24 million?
I would guess he would be near 5/75

#7 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

Depends on whether he costs a pick or not

#8 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:41 AM

I think a 28 year old would have gotten a bit more than Nolasco, both in years and dollars.  My guess would be that in this years FA group, we'd see a lot of articles about smart teams should pass on the "aces" and get the cheaper Hughes who is "thriving" outside of a ballpark that wasn't a good fit for him.  So I think something like 5/75ish.  

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

His numbers stand out especially considering the team he plays for. 

He surely would have had some crazy money thrown his way.

#10 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

I thought it was 3/24???At any rate I bet it would be at least 12/year like Ricky boy got...possibly in the 15/year range minimum of 5 years.So far it is looking like an excellent sign by Terry.

Edited by spanman2, 02 September 2014 - 08:10 AM.

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#11 clank2000

clank2000

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, Pennsylvania

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

We should quickly sign him to an 8-year, $200M extension.

Edited by clank2000, 02 September 2014 - 08:31 AM.

• Paul Pleiss likes this