Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Promote Eight for September

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 9,917 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

When Bernier came into the game the score was already 10-3 and he came in to face a journeyman reliever having a bad season.Doug's going to play some innings, and these were not ones that would be terribly indicative of anything or particularly educational had Santana played them.Relative to the start Nunez is getting tonight, this one doesn't register, for me.

Gotta disagree, Ash.  If big league playing time and exposure is valuable (for May, or anyone else), it's valuable no matter the situation.

And giving it to Bernier just makes no sense to me.

I'm with ya on Nunez though.

Go Twins!

#82 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

you're jokin right ?Of course you are.:)

Nope, not on this one.  Seriously.  A team digging out of a 290+ loss deficit for 3 seasons- going on 4 years now at a similar pace- of miasmic ineptitude, really doesn't allow a team to indulge in rewarding all the playing time that's been allotted this year to guys who clearly won't be part of the solution, and many of whom are now out of baseball altogether, or should be soon. 

Edited by jokin, 04 September 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#83 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

Actually they do call up coaches for September but in this case, I think they called up the Red Wings hitting coach with plans t add Gene Glynn later.

http://www.1500espn....r_callups090114

I missed that news item, and/or didn't recall such things in the past.Good to hear.

With all the extra players, you need the extra babysitters too. :)

There are things so serious that you can only joke about them.-- Heisenberg

#84 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

A man on the 40-man is getting a decent salary. Yes, Polance should be sitting on the bench. He did what the Twins wanted him to do in an earlier call-up.

Bernier resigned with the twins, did solid at Rochester, and is someone the Twins may want to keep involved in the organization. In the distance past always give some guys some MLB time for pension and rewards of dollars for loyalty to an organization. In reality, he is not keeping anyone OFF the roster. he won't be kept on the roster later.

I always wondered why the Twins didn't give Toby Gardenhire a cup of September coffee a few years ago, especially when he was a third-string catcher. Yes, I know he was the manager's son, but we can overlook some nepotism in September.

• jokin likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#85 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,777 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

The only thing bringing up Polanco does is add service time, and that's not a good thing for the team.He's the fourth best shortstop and they sure don't need more than three.Let him master AA at least before he's promoted. 

#86 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

The only thing bringing up Polanco does is add service time, and that's not a good thing for the team.He's the fourth best shortstop and they sure don't need more than three.Let him master AA at least before he's promoted. 

27 days at most, that definitely shouldn't be the make or break decision on a team en route to another 90+ loss season. I'm not calling for Polanco's immediate promotion- just a continued developmental exercise, as he has clearly shown in his call-ups that he has the moxy to quickly adapt to the highest level, and the willingness to continue the learning process. The SSs on this team have proven to be highly interchangeable anyways, and as in the case of Santana, it might be necessary, maybe likely, to call on one or more of them to play another position.That brings up a potential scenario where Polanco possibly duplicates in 2015 what Santana did this year, and is called up around the ASG to fill in at another position should Santana claim the SS spot, prove useful as a replacement at 3rd Base should Plouffe sustain injury or become trade bait,and always, of course, the possibility of a continued train wreck with the other CF contenders/pretenders.  As we've seen the last three nights, there's no reason that Polanco couldn't have been inserted into late game situations, as others have, and benefited from the experience.

#87 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:36 AM

27 days at most, that definitely shouldn't be the make or break decision on a team en route to another 90+ loss season. 

Very true, so why the angst over Bernier not Polanco. Advanced baseball skills are not a skill that is learned by watching.. Sanatana should be getting the reps a ss, Hicks in the OF. Seth called it troling, I call it making a mountain out of nothing. 

#88 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:23 AM

Very true, so why the angst over Bernier not Polanco. Advanced baseball skills are not a skill that is learned by watching.. Sanatana should be getting the reps a ss, Hicks in the OF. Seth called it troling, I call it making a mountain out of nothing.

You call it a mountain out of nothing..... And I call it maximizing the 162 game schedule to continually try to accomplish something at improving the team for the long run, or why go through the pretense of calling anyone up in September?.... getting Polanco 27 days worth of major league atmosphere and a series of late-inning valuable reps at at least 3 different positions for someone whom the Twins regard as a prized prospect- over a minor league journeyman- seems pretty elementary to me. And don't get me wrong, Bernier earned his call-up, but with a reward paid off primarily by a comfortable seat in the dugout.Polanco, by stark contrast, has shown the aptitude to be a part of the long-term solution- and can directly benefit from continuing his Twins matriculation at the highest level available, and there's little doubt, he possibly could contribute as early as some time next season (and perhaps not at SS).
Santana and Vargas now look like they can be part of the solution, why not give Polanco every opportunity to continue his progression and join them as soon as possible?

#89 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,777 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

OK, I'm going there.Eight plate appearances.Those of you advocating Polanco's recall and competing for a position on the team next year are putting way too much emphasis on eight plate appearances.I believe Eric Fryer had three hits in his first eight plate appearances this year.Does that make him a legitimate prospect?No.Some guys, from Aaron Hicks to Willie Mays go 0-8, does that make them busts? Again, no.Eight plate appearances is simply too small a sample to matter.Polanco, at 20 years old, competed well in High A ball.He wasn't dominant, but he competed well.He hit .281, with a .780 OPS and got a deserved promotion to AA.At New Britain, he was satisfactory, no more, no less.The batting average was OK (.281), but he only had seven extra-base hits and nine walks in a quarter season.Defensively, he's probably not ready, if errors made are any gauge of defensive performance. 

If Polanco shows the same improvement in 2015, it will make considerably more sense for him to get a late-season look.He then might really be on the cusp of staying in the big leagues, even if he doesn't get a single AAA plate appearance.We know that at 23, Danny Santana was ready offensively.It looks like Kennys Vargas was ready from his 24th birthday on.We also know that at 23 and 24, first round draft choice Aaron Hicks wasn't ready. 

I certainly haven't seen enough of Polanco to make blanket statements, but I'm sure the Twins get reports from his managers and coaches.If he were truly ready for major league baseball, even a September audition, somebody would have made the case for him.I doubt that has happened.

Edited by stringer bell, 05 September 2014 - 04:20 AM.

• old nurse likes this