Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Promote Eight for September

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,251 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

I don't care much one way or the other whether assessing Aaron Hicks in September is meaningful.I care more about giving him additional experience with major league competition - even with Sept callups it's more representative than AAA.Another month of experience can hardly be a bad thing, can it?What else is he to do with his September, play videogames in his mancave? :)

/ disclaimer - I know nothing about the gentleman's home situation or his recreational preferences, it's just a metaphor

Given that there is a confidence concern there is a chance that a months worth of MLB experience could undermine any positives of the last two months. That's my concern at least.

#22 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 858 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'd prefer to see the Twins trot out the same lineup they've been playing in August.

Santana CF

Dozier 2B

Mauer 1B/DH

Vargas 1B/DH

Arcia RF

Plouffe 3B

Suzuki C

E. Escobar SS

Schafer LF

Let the call-ups rot on the bench.  

I want to see if this line-up can play plus 500 ball for a month.

• goulik likes this

#23 James Richter

James Richter

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Bernier is a bit of a head-scratcher, but I like the other 7. They earned their promotions with their play in the minors, and they have a chance to contribute something in 2015. Plus, they might take some innings and ABs away from some players who have been struggling recently (Nunez, Fryer, half the bullpen). I wish a few of the really exciting prospects had been fit enough to come up, but it could still be a productive September.

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:54 PM

Pinto and Herrmann were hitting very well. Bernier is getting rewarded, though one would think that Romero should be rewarded as well/instead. The pitching additions make perfect sense.

Bernier's reward should be a decent seat in the Twins dugout.  Not sure that every pitching option was explored fully.  Unless something's physically wrong, why isn't Pryor up?.... and Polanco should have been included.. no question that he's earned, and would benefit from another call-up. Even with a crowded infield, he could have subbed in, in late inning situations, at multiple positions.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:04 PM

Bernier's reward should be a decent seat in the Twins dugout.  Not sure that every pitching option was explored fully.  Unless something's physically wrong, why isn't Pryor up?.... and Polanco should have been included.. no question that he's earned, and would benefit from another call-up. Even with a crowded infield, he could have subbed in, in late inning situations, at multiple positions.

Ryan was quoted as saying he wanted to shut down Pryor after coming back from labrum surgery. Apparently his velo was down the last game or two. Still likes his future, so there's that.

Papers...business papers.

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

I actually thought we were going to see Polanco get called up, but it's okay that he hasn't. I also thought Vargas would be a Sept. call up but now it looks like he's cemented his spot in the lineup before September even started (at least for now. It's a bit early to be drawing conclusions.)

#27 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,434 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

I consider Polanco to be quite a ways from ready.He got his few days in because he was on the 40-man roster.He's only just 21 and had <200 PAs at AA, .281 BA, but only .665 OPS, but he did finish strong.

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,434 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Bernier is a bit of a head-scratcher, but I like the other 7. They earned their promotions with their play in the minors, and they have a chance to contribute something in 2015. Plus, they might take some innings and ABs away from some players who have been struggling recently (Nunez, Fryer, half the bullpen). I wish a few of the really exciting prospects had been fit enough to come up, but it could still be a productive September.

I can't say that Hicks or Tonkin earned their promotions, but they displayed enough upside to get a chance to play in the majors in September.Achter was awesome in the first half, pedestrian in the second, but overall his numbers were good and his is a pretty good story.Darnell will probably be used in Deduno's role, and with the starting pitching as bad as it has been, there is a need for that.I really want to see Pinto a lot behind the plate the rest of the way.I would rather see Escobar play than Hicks, but the Twins need to see if there is improvement from a former top prospect and draft pick. 

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

I consider Polanco to be quite a ways from ready.He got his few days in because he was on the 40-man roster.He's only just 21 and had <200 PAs at AA, .281 BA, but only .665 OPS, but he did finish strong.

Maybe next August. Made no sense to call him up this year. Dozier is playing almost every day and it is time to give Santana some run at SS.

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

I just hope the Twins focus on winning games. I'd like to see them have a plus 500 record in September. I hope these call-ups don'tkeep our best players on the bench.

I just don't see how that is possible that the best players will lose time. Pinto replaces Fryer and some Suzuki, Hicks replaces some Escobar and some Schafer, and the other 2 everyday guys won't play very much, especially not at the expense of anyone you are thinking of.

The pitchers could get some innings, but that is probably a good thing considering the current state of the bullpen.

• Cris E and James Richter like this

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,106 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

I'm sure Bernier's is a nice guy, and perhaps giving him a month's MLB salary is nice and all, but...it seems to me a team in the Twins position, with a "top rated minor league system" and all, could find better ways to invest in the future.

As to the rest...pretty underwhelming, as well.

BTW, this is a comment more about the actual status of the Twins minor league system than the individuals themselves. The system will look better if, and I repeat if, Buxton and Sano return to something like they looked a year ago, but that's no given. And without them, things don't look nearly as rosy.
  • Mike Sixel and GCTF like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#32 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Bernier hit .280 with a .740 OPS, Florimon hit .257 with an OPS of .717 and is seven years younger.I am not a Florimon fan, but beyond this year, I'd rather have him than Bernier.

Not to nit pick, but hasn't Florimon convinced everyone he can only play short? Why do I remember reading that he isn't even considered for a backup role because he can't/won't/doesn't play elsewhere?

#33 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,434 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Not to nit pick, but hasn't Florimon convinced everyone he can only play short? Why do I remember reading that he isn't even considered for a backup role because he can't/won't/doesn't play elsewhere?

Florimon played all three infield spots in Rochester after he was sent down. He made a lot of errors, but that seems to go with playing on minor league fields.

#34 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:04 PM

I'm sure Bernier's is a nice guy, and perhaps giving him a month's MLB salary is nice and all, but...it seems to me a team in the Twins position, with a "top rated minor league system" and all, could find better ways to invest in the future.

As to the rest...pretty underwhelming, as well.

BTW, this is a comment more about the actual status of the Twins minor league system than the individuals themselves. The system will look better if, and I repeat if, Buxton and Sano return to something like they looked a year ago, but that's no given. And without them, things don't look nearly as rosy.

I wouldn't look at promoting Bernier as investing in the future but more as....he has played well enough to earn a promotion, he is 34, the Twins are going nowhere and more of a nice thing to do for a guy who is probably getting near the end of his career.  I'm going to guess he isn't going to see the field much this month, really no harm promoting him and letting him live the life for a few weeks.  At least how I see it.  It would be different if they promoted him and played him over a younger player with a real future with the team.

#35 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

I agree swainzag with the added "as long as he isn't in the way oof any other promotions" which he isn't. If there were others to promote, they would DFA florimon or Colabello now...
  • SwainZag likes this

#36 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,106 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

I agree swainzag with the added "as long as he isn't in the way oof any other promotions" which he isn't. If there were others to promote, they would DFA florimon or Colabello now...

That's my point...shouldn't a system as deep, and as ready to cure what ails the Twins, have others to promote?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#37 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

Maybe next August. Made no sense to call him up this year. Dozier is playing almost every day and it is time to give Santana some run at SS.

I disagree about Polanco.  The guy is absorbing baseball acumen like a sponge and appears major league savvy well beyond his youthful age.  They should have kept him playing part-time with the big club,  getting a few reps at 2nd, 3rd and SS, while serving notice and challenging the current lineup to not get too complacent about their spots, as Polanco continues assembling the building blocks towards his very bright future.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,434 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

That's my point...shouldn't a system as deep, and as ready to cure what ails the Twins, have others to promote?

During the season, they have established youngsters Santana and Vargas. Regulars certain for next year are Mauer, Dozier, Plouffe, Arcia, and Suzuki. They are returning both Pinto and Hicks. I think that is almost all of the position players that will be heading north from Fort Myers in late March/early April. Within a year from now, we may see Buxton, Rosario, Sano and maybe Polanco.

To me, the pitching side is much less defined and predictable. I'm almost certain that, if healthy, Meyer will be promoted before midseason. We'll also see much turnover in the bullpen. There really isn't much to promote right now.

#39 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Yep, the cupboard is pretty barren of anything but very marginal major league quality, at both AA and AAA, The exceptions, a couple sure-fire starter prospects (Meyer and Berrios), a few relievers and maybe a starter or two that show some promise, and very little else, if anything, with the exception of Polanco, and probably still Rosario, if he gets his act together in the AFL, but they now look like 2016 debuts, at best. Meanwhile, AAAA-ness abounds at both levels.  A total of 15 players between the two levels that are age 28 or older. (7 of 13 Roc. position players age 28 or more, for a total of 10 in all-  by comparison, the Twins major league 25-man roster has 12 players over age 28). 

Hopefully the wave coming up from Ft Myers in 2015, plus Sano and Buxton, clears away much of the roster detritus at the upper levels.

#40 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:53 PM

Bernier isn't going to be good. I don't understand not promoting Romero instead. As far as Polanco is concerned, he will definitely need more time defensively, at the least. He is destined to start 2015 at New Britain. That's quite good.

The September Twins INF thing is changed. Now Santana must get some time at SS, so the Twins also don't want to promote.