Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

September Call-ups: 8 players

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

Phil Miller ‏@MillerStrib· 19m 
Twins announce 8 Sept callups: Hicks, Pinto, Herrmann, Bernier, Oliveros, Darnell, Tonkin, Achter.

http://www.startribu.../273450711.html

In addition to the players, the Twins will add an extra coach. Tim Dougherty, hitting coach for Class AAA Rochester, will spend the first two weeks of September with the Twins, and Red Wings manager Gene Glynn will replace him from Sept. 15-28.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

Beat me JB!The only surprise to me Bernier.I really wanted to see Oliveros and had mixed feeling about Achter (good story though) of the non-roster guys.Let's hope we see some promise from the callups!

Edited by stringer bell, 01 September 2014 - 09:17 AM.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Beat me JB!The only surprise to me Bernier.I really wanted to see Oliveros and had mixed feeling about Achter (good story though) of the non-roster guys.Let's hope we see some promise from the callups!

Just a nice way for Bernier to make some money after years of toiling in the minors and a nice reward for being Red Wings MVP this season.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Very exciting group! :banghead:

I really hope Hicks plays every day in center and Santana plays ever day at short.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#5 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

I don't get the Twins fascination with having journyman middle infielders and catchers proliferate the roster or the need to reward aging declining veterans that are fringe major league players like Bernier. Hopefully this will put an end to the at bats the Twins have been wasting on Eric Fryer.

They should DFA Florimon and Collebello after the Rochester season is over at least Collabello for sure.

It is obvious they are not going to bring Chris Collabello back after this season, not sure why they are bringing back Doug Bernier at age 34 to play out the string, this is silly I would rather see any at bats given

him to Jorge Polanco at least Polanco has a future in the big leagues. I don't even care if they do not fill Collabello's spot on the 40 man, just free the kid so he can get a chance to play somewhere else and continue his career. If they are going to reward Bernier for sticking it out at Rochester they should reward Collabello for the April he had with the Twins, at least they were relatively competitive back then which seems like an eternity ago. 18 games under500 and going no where ladies and gentleman your Minnesota Twins. I know a lot of people that are saying they are tuning out the Twins and are not going to watch or go to games anymore, these Twins have become worse than the Timberwolves when it comes to fan apathy, what other way is there to say it this Twins franchise is floundering. I get some of the other non-roster guys might still have potential, but Bernier what a complete waste of a 40 man spot. Yep the floundering and directionless Minnesota Twins, bet that is what Joe Mauer envisioned when he signed the deal, people may rip Joe but at least he has the talent to win at the highest of levels, you cannot say that about very many other players on the Twins roster.

Edited by jaimedude2, 01 September 2014 - 09:37 AM.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#6 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm very happy these eight are coming up. It's also telling that Florimon didn't get the call. Sorry P-Flo, but I'm happy about that. Do the Twins have enough open roster spots for Bernier, Oliveros, and Achter? (Or was a third spot opened after we removed Ibarra from the 40 man roster?)

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'm surprised they didn't call up Pryor and Achter doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Oliveros, Darnell and Tonkin are good call ups, I hope they get plenty of innings.

Pinto, Hicks and Herrmann were the obvious selections, Bernier was the charity guy over Colabello, and I'm fine with that.

This should mean no more Fryer this year, Duensing/Theilbar/Swarzak/Burton/Parmelee probably won't get much (if any) action the rest of the year either. Good.

Papers...business papers.

#8 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Very exciting group! :banghead:

I really hope Hicks plays every day in center and Santana plays ever day at short.

Did you have higher expectations for September call-ups?

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 8,319 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Do the Twins have enough open roster spots for Bernier, Oliveros, and Achter? (Or was a third spot opened after we removed Ibarra from the 40 man roster?)

Yup.We already had an open one, then Deduno and Ibarra were removed. (EDIT: stringer has a more accurate description below. Suffice to say, the Twins math is correct. :) )

Curious why Pino hasn't been removed yet -- I can't imagine they will need to protect him this winter, given his age, history, and injury.

Kris Johnson being omitted from call-ups does not bode well for him either.

Edited by spycake, 01 September 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

I'm very happy these eight are coming up. It's also telling that Florimon didn't get the call. Sorry P-Flo, but I'm happy about that. Do the Twins have enough open roster spots for Bernier, Oliveros, and Achter? (Or was a third spot opened after we removed Ibarra from the 40 man roster?)

They were at 38 before letting Deduno go, Thompson took his place. Ibarra taken off makes 37. This makes room to add Achter, Bernier, and Oliveros.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Yup.We already had an open one, then Deduno and Ibarra were removed.

Curious why Pino hasn't been removed yet -- I can't imagine they will need to protect him this winter, given his age, history, and injury.

Kris Johnson being omitted from call-ups does not bode well for him either.

I have a feeling they are going to clean house on some 40 man spots as soon as the season ends. Probably not much gained by doing it now instead of a month from now.

Good point on Johnson - I thought they were higher on him but he is probably gone. Also surprised on Pryor not coming up, maybe he'll get removed too.

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Pryor has been very good in Rochester. Johnson is pitching today for the Red Wings. Is it possible they will add both after the Red Wings game today?
  • big dog likes this

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

This should mean no more Fryer this year

Don't hold your breath.

#14 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

Pryor has been very good in Rochester. Johnson is pitching today for the Red Wings. Is it possible they will add both after the Red Wings game today?

Yeah, I don't see Pryor as someone to release right now.Hopefully he gets a chance.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,113 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Was really hoping Hicks wasn't coming up again until sometime in the middle of next season.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,242 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Rewarded for a nice season:Bernier, Herrmann, Achter.Upside:Hicks, Pinto (decent season), Tonkin.Oliveros has had a fine year and has some potential.Darnell had a good year and he's LH and breathing.

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Total System Failure

• Members
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

bypassing Kris Johnson and Jorge Polanco was a surprise to me

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,282 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

Please continue the discussion of call ups in the article thread here: http://twinsdaily.co...ember/?p=276078

Thanks.