Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 30-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing out to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 85.
I don't really want to think about this team anymore so I'm glad Brian is still able.
I'm thinking of 5 things and 5 things only.
Things to Think About:
1. 2012 MLB Draft -- I normally don't throw around my opinions heavy handed when it comes to the MLB Draft. In all honestly... I don't know which players can play and I don't believe College or High School stats can tell me enough to grant me a strong enough opinion. I also don't totally trust what I read from the so called experts because they are often wrong and I have no idea where they are getting the information that they have. This is thought #1 today because I remember what my opinion was going into the 2012 Draft and today's starter for the Orioles was a big part of that draft. I remember that I wanted a starting pitcher out of College with the #2 pick. I didn't have a strong opinion on who that starting pitcher should be... I just remember wanting one because the Twins pitching staff was so terrible in 2011 and a College Arm was the quickest way to get someone to the majors in my opinion. I remember the top choices at the time were Appel, Gausman and Zimmer and they were the first 3 college pitchers chosen followed by Heaney and Wacha. Meanwhile... The Twins drafted some kid out of Georgia called Byron Buxton. Byron according to those who know such things is the best in all the minor leagues... So maybe I was wrong. Appel and Zimmer haven't worked out yet if they will at all... But Gausman, Heaney and Wacha sure look like wise choices right now. We get to see Mr. Gausman today. Just two years after the draft... 3 of the top 5 have already thrown a major league pitch and two of the 3 are looking like they may be here awhile.
2. Kevin Gausman -- Kevin is 23 years old and he's from Centennial Colorado which is a suburb of Denver. I believe that all of Colorado is a suburb of Denver. Kevin has thrown a total of 142 innings in the minors so its possible to conclude that the Orioles have wasted no time getting him to the top level. He throws hard... Upper 90's hard and his change up is of similar speed as Tom Milone's fastball. He will also split it and slide it. Things were not great for Kevin in the Majors last year... He got knocked around. Things are better this year and things will probably be better again next year. Let's hope Trevor May can improve in like fashion.
3. Hicks and Others -- Aaron Hicks is back... It's September and the Rosters can expand and they have. Rochester has been eliminated from the playoffs so joining the club is Aaron Hicks, Josmil Pinto, Chris Herrmann, Stephen Pryor, Michael Tonkin, Lester Oliveros and Kris Johnson. It looks like the Twins have enough Catching and Bullpen Arms to get through September. I'm happy to see Pinto back because I think he can hit. He may need work working with pitchers but he can hit. I'm hopeful that Pryor will look like the Pryor I saw throw for Seattle. If it's that Pryor... He'll be a nice bullpen boost. I like Tonkin... He looked sharp when he was up for a cup of coffee. I'm also curious to see what the Delmon Young trade got us with Oliveros. Kris Johnson doesn't excite me but if the Twins let him pitch where Trevor May slots... I'm Ok with that. Chris Herrmanm... good luck to ya is what I got to say... I wish you well. That leaves Aaron Hicks... As always... I'm praying that his bugaboos are behind him. I'm not counting on him yet but I hope to count on him in the future.
4. Sweep? -- The Twins are in danger of getting swept in a 4 game series. The Twins are down to the 5th choice in the 2015 MLB Draft. The Orioles are up to a Playoff spot. I guess things are happening like they should happen.
5. Labor Day -- Or for North... It's Labour Day. It's a day that we get a break from work and we need a break because work can be hard. I've worked for an orange juice factory but I couldn't concentrate... I made calendars but those days were numbered... I tried to be a tailor but I wasn't suited for it... I fixed Mufflers but that was exhausting... Professional Tennis wasn't my racket... I became a personal trainer but I wasn't fit for the job... I became a Historian but I saw no future in it... I was a fireman but It burned me out... I was a banker but I lacked Interest and Maturity... I became a professional fisherman but I couldn't live on my net income and I worked at Starbucks but that was just the same old grind.
Happy Labo(u)r day to all!!!