Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Orioles, 9/1 @ 12:35pm CT

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 30-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing out to right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 85.

TWINS:
SP, Hughes

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer DH
Vargas 1B
Plouffe 3B
Arcia RF
Suzuki C
Escobar SS
Schafer LF

ORIOLES:
SP, Gausman

Markakis RF
Young LF
Jones CF
Cruz DH
Davis 1B
Hardy SS
Paredes 3B
Hundley C
Schoop 2B

------------------------

I don't really want to think about this team anymore so I'm glad Brian is still able.

-------------------------

I'm thinking of 5 things and 5 things only. 

Things to Think About:

1. 2012 MLB Draft -- I normally don't throw around my opinions heavy handed when it comes to the MLB Draft. In all honestly... I don't know which players can play and I don't believe College or High School stats can tell me enough to grant me a strong enough opinion. I also don't totally trust what I read from the so called experts because they are often wrong and I have no idea where they are getting the information that they have. This is thought #1 today because I remember what my opinion was going into the 2012 Draft and today's starter for the Orioles was a big part of that draft. I remember that I wanted a starting pitcher out of College with the #2 pick. I didn't have a strong opinion on who that starting pitcher should be... I just remember wanting one because the Twins pitching staff was so terrible in 2011 and a College Arm was the quickest way to get someone to the majors in my opinion. I remember the top choices at the time were Appel, Gausman and Zimmer and they were the first 3 college pitchers chosen followed by Heaney and Wacha. Meanwhile... The Twins drafted some kid out of Georgia called Byron Buxton. Byron according to those who know such things is the best in all the minor leagues... So maybe I was wrong. Appel and Zimmer haven't worked out yet if they will at all... But Gausman, Heaney and Wacha sure look like wise choices right now. We get to see Mr. Gausman today. Just two years after the draft... 3 of the top 5 have already thrown a major league pitch and two of the 3 are looking like they may be here awhile.  

2. Kevin Gausman -- Kevin is 23 years old and he's from Centennial Colorado which is a suburb of Denver. I believe that all of Colorado is a suburb of Denver. Kevin has thrown a total of 142 innings in the minors so its possible to conclude that the Orioles have wasted no time getting him to the top level. He throws hard... Upper 90's hard and his change up is of similar speed as Tom Milone's fastball. He will also split it and slide it. Things were not great for Kevin in the Majors last year... He got knocked around. Things are better this year and things will probably be better again next year. Let's hope Trevor May can improve in like fashion.

3. Hicks and Others -- Aaron Hicks is back... It's September and the Rosters can expand and they have. Rochester has been eliminated from the playoffs so joining the club is Aaron Hicks, Josmil Pinto, Chris Herrmann, Stephen Pryor, Michael Tonkin, Lester Oliveros and Kris Johnson. It looks like the Twins have enough Catching and Bullpen Arms to get through September. I'm happy to see Pinto back because I think he can hit. He may need work working with pitchers but he can hit. I'm hopeful that Pryor will look like the Pryor I saw throw for Seattle. If it's that Pryor... He'll be a nice bullpen boost. I like Tonkin... He looked sharp when he was up for a cup of coffee. I'm also curious to see what the Delmon Young trade got us with Oliveros. Kris Johnson doesn't excite me but if the Twins let him pitch where Trevor May slots... I'm Ok with that. Chris Herrmanm... good luck to ya is what I got to say... I wish you well. That leaves Aaron Hicks... As always... I'm praying that his bugaboos are behind him. I'm not counting on him yet but I hope to count on him in the future.

4. Sweep? -- The Twins are in danger of getting swept in a 4 game series. The Twins are down to the 5th choice in the 2015 MLB Draft. The Orioles are up to a Playoff spot. I guess things are happening like they should happen.

5. Labor Day -- Or for North... It's Labour Day. It's a day that we get a break from work and we need a break because work can be hard. I've worked for an orange juice factory but I couldn't concentrate... I made calendars but those days were numbered...  I tried to be a tailor but I wasn't suited for it... I fixed Mufflers but that was exhausting... Professional Tennis wasn't my racket... I became a personal trainer but I wasn't fit for the job... I became a Historian but I saw no future in it... I was a fireman but It burned me out... I was a banker but I lacked Interest and Maturity... I became a professional fisherman but I couldn't live on my net income and I worked at Starbucks but that was just the same old grind.

Happy Labo(u)r day to all!!!   

• glunn, big dog, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,676 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

The last month of Twins baseball til 2015.

Makes me sad, no matter the results.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, glunn and 4 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yeah. At least I get to see the Miracle play this week. :)

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Yeah. At least I get to see the Miracle play this week. :)

Hope the flight improved as you went on.

#5 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hope the flight improved as you went on.

Arrived early. Of course this is the slowest time here for travel so flight was far from full. But am glad to be on the ground.

#6 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hughes best win out for the Twins to have a shot at 70 wins this year. 

he gone!

#7 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

When are the Sept. call ups eligible/in the dugout?

#8 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,802 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

When are the Sept. call ups eligible/in the dugout?

I believe I read they'd be turning up at Target Field tomorrow.

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#9 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:30 AM

I want the Twins to have a + .500 record in September.I am always hopeful when Hughes pitches.

These games against the Orioles have been like walking in a cold rain with no coat and feeling the water run down your back and knowing that its a long walk until you get home.

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,364 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

These games against the Orioles have been like walking in a cold rain with no coat and feeling the water run down your back and knowing that its a long walk until you get home.

... which you will find out has burned down (in spite of the rain).

Time for deck painting.See y'all in a few hours maybe.

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#11 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:38 AM

Brian: no mention of Pryor or Johnson in Seth's article about September call-ups...

#12 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hicks + fire in his eyes = success / doubt it * outsidelookingin

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 01 September 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#13 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,593 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

Astros fire manager today. 8 more wins already than all last year with a month to go. 1 less win than the Twins asof today.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Zuke regression continues.

#15 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Zuke regression continues.

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone, is it?

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,299 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Brian: no mention of Pryor or Johnson in Seth's article about September call-ups...

That's easy to explain... I got my information from the Trib and it turns out... They were guessing and posting before it... Umm... Actually happened.

The Twins out foxed the Trib and me as well.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,802 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

That's easy to explain... I got my information from the Trib and it turns out... They were guessing and posting before it... Umm... Actually happened.
The Twins out foxed the Trib and me as well.

Best to rely on the Onion.
  • glunn, Riverbrian and Circus Boy like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#18 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

5. Labor Day -- Or for North... It's Labour Day. It's a day that we get a break from work and we need a break because work can be hard. I've worked for an orange juice factory but I couldn't concentrate... I made calendars but those days were numbered...  I tried to be a tailor but I wasn't suited for it... I fixed Mufflers but that was exhausting... Professional Tennis wasn't my racket... I became a personal trainer but I wasn't fit for the job... I became a Historian but I saw no future in it... I was a fireman but It burned me out... I was a banker but I lacked Interest and Maturity... I became a professional fisherman but I couldn't live on my net income and I worked at Starbucks but that was just the same old grind.

Happy Labo(u)r day to all!!!   

Oooo, oooo, can I play? I repaired windows. What a pain! Ran a morgue. Didn't dig it. 

• glunn and Riverbrian like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#19 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,467 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Geez. I did not realize Chris Davis was having such a Mark Reynoldsian Season.

• glunn and Circus Boy like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#20 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

Oooo, oooo, can I play? I repaired windows. What a pain! Ran a morgue. Didn't dig it.

I was a doorbell repair person ... it didn't ring true.
  • glunn, Riverbrian and Circus Boy like this