Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

August Splits

arcia plouffe schafer power speed
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,600 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

With one game to go in the month, here are the Twins' hitting statistics for the month of August:

http://espn.go.com/m...minnesota-twins

Who is the player of the month? Arcia has the power numbers, but Plouffe has put up a very good overall month and has the better OPS.

The Twins have scored exactly as many runs as they have allowed. They've been outhomered by four, but have stolen more bases than they've allowed.

Schafer has had a really nice month, getting on at a .400 and of course stealing those 10 bases. Dozier hasn't hit for much power, but he's drawn 25 walks in the month and scored 23 runs.

Of the nine regulars, seven have an OPS over .800, then Escobar (.723) and finally Suzuki (.653).

Edit: This is after games of 8/31/14

Edited by stringer bell, 01 September 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

I vote plouffe... the offense has been pretty good this month.
  • Thrylos likes this

#3 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

I  was wondering if Dozier was suffering from a slump based on participating in the HR Derby- it often seems like guys leave the Derby and their HRs drop off.  He had 18 at the break.  He's had 2 since then.

He's also dropped off in other areas, with 16 steals before the break and just 4 afterward.  Slugging percentage has dropped from .436 before to .372 after.  Maybe he's just wearing down after a hard year.

Mauer's slugging is .086 higher since he got off the DL, an even bigger swing that Dozier (and in the opposite direction).  His OPS is .824, up from .695.  Nice to see.

Arcia has jumped from .683 since the break- I hope it's the New and Improved Oswaldo, here to stay.

Edited by big dog, 31 August 2014 - 07:29 AM.

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

Not mentioned above was Vargas, whose rate stats are close to Plouffe's and who actually scored more runs and drove in more runs than him by small margins.  I don't care so much for R and RBI for analysis, but for awards like player of the month I enjoy giving credit for the direct result of scoring runs.

Nevertheless I'd give it to Plouffe.  A month with several fine performances at bat - 7 players with significant playing time OPSing over .800 - but none that blow the doors off (as a month's worth of numbers sometimes can).

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:48 PM

Gammons just tweeted that the Twins lead mlb in runs in August. And have a -17 run differential.

Maybe the lineup is relatively close to set...
  • Badsmerf likes this
Papers...business papers.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,546 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Love this line: .241/.286/.367

Kurt Suzuki after he was extended.  Regressing to his career normal.  Figured then, figures now.

• rukavina likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

A stat is needed to evaluate when the hitting numbers were performed.  Things like:  score at the time said numbers were generated, the inning, etc.

But my vote is split between Vargas and Santana.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arcia, plouffe, schafer, power, speed