Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Orioles, 8/30 @ 6:05pm CT

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 9,868 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing out to left field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 80.

TWINS:

SP, Gibson

Santana CF

Dozier 2B

Mauer DH

Vargas 1B

Arcia RF

Plouffe 3B

Suzuki C

Escobar SS

Schafer LF

ORIOLES:

SP, Tillman

Markakis RF

Young DH

Jones CF

Cruz LF

Davis 1B

Hardy SS

Paredes 3B

Hundley C

Schoop 2B

--------------------------------

Next up?  Brian!  Be prepared, be very prepared ...

-------------------------------

Here's what you need for your Preparation:  

A. Flashlight with Extra Batteries.

B. Cellphone fully charged.

C. Rotary Phone for when the Cellphone dies.

D. Sundial

E. Tow Rope

F. Jar of Butterflies

G. Road Maps of Vermont

H. Preperation H

I.  Change of Clothes

J. Toothpaste

K. Money for Bribes

L. Weapons... Lot of them because the Zombies are coming. 

Things to Think About:

1. Delmon Young -- I didn't have time to think about Ole' Delmon yesterday so today will have to suffice. I understand that this is my thing and it may not be other peoples thing... but... I've never liked Delmon as a ballplayer. I've never met him and he may be a fine human being... I just don't know... But... As a ballplayer... I didn't like him and I just didn't feel he deserved to have a major league job. He's a lolligagger and I don't lolligagger's. I truly believe that I am supportive of the players that play on my Twins team. Some players have frustrated me from time to time but I've pulled for them to pull it together. Delmon is the one guy that I can honestly say... that I gave up on him and I gave up on him very early and it got to the point where his presence on the Twins annoyed me. Even when he had that fantastic year in 2010... It wasn't working for me at all and I went to bed at night praying that Bill Smith would trade him since he just exhibited some value. It didn't happen and he continued to torture me with his presence until the Twins ended up trading him to the Tigers for basically nothing. He's playing with the Orioles now and he hit a home run last night... So Yeah... He's still bugging me.

2. Chris Tillman -- Chris Tillman is a 26 year old right-hander who grew up in Fountain Valley California. Fountain Valley is a valley in Orange County that is full statues of boys peeing. For this reason... Fountain Valley was chosen as the name because it sounds better then Pee Valley. Chris Tillman was a 2nd round selection of the Seattle Mariners in the 2006 draft. In February 2008... Baltimore Orioles officials broke into the Seattle Mariners locker rooms and stole Adam Jones and Chris Tillman and left Erik Bedard behind. For the Orioles... Chris Tillman was god awful for 3 years when all of sudden he became... not god awful in 2012. For all you Trevor May fans... don't despair... Take a look at Chris Tillman and feel better. Tillman was a highly thought of prospect who disappointed and then eventually stopped disappointing.  

3. Trevor May -- I don't want to be down on Trevor May... Patience is needed and I don't want others to be down on Trevor May and perhaps more importantly... I don't want Trevor May to be down on Trevor May... But with all that said... Something is clearly wrong and I don't want him to make a start when his turn in the rotation comes around again. I don't have a suggestion for who should start in his place but I think Trevor should be skipped over until he figures out how to keep the wheels from coming off. He was sharp for awhile and it was a pleasure to witness but then the wheels came off and when it happens... there is simply no way to put a smiley face on it. When Trevor ain't got it... He isn't close to major league capable... Not close by a mile... Nishioka or Bartlett in CF like. I don't know what to do with Trevor for the rest of this year... The rosters will expand in September... I guess the bullpen for now in light pressure situations. We should have a lot of those light pressure situations.  

4. Sam Deduno -- Goodbye to Sam... The Twins placed him on waivers and the Astro's claimed him. I've been a big supporter of Sam's and I make no apologies for that support. No... he hasn't been the Sam I think he could be in 2014 but he was the Sam I thought he could be in 2013 and that Sam is pretty good. As the year progressed it was clear that Sam was not going to make it in a Twins uniform and the news today is no surprise. In the end... his control issues did him in. I truly wish Sam well in Houston and I want to remind everybody... When Sam was pitching decently for us... We really needed him to pitch decently and he was about all we had pitching decently for us. For this reason... he deserves a pat on the back as he heads out the door.

5. 10,000 Home Runs -- Trevor Plouffe hit the 10,000th home run in the history of the Minnesota Twins last night. That's a lot of home runs and Chief has seen 9,764 of them. When this news broke... I realized that the Twins had more home runs then I have posts on Twins Daily. The odds are good that I will catch up before the year is out... However... not all of my posts will be home runs.  

• glunn, Bark's Lounge and snepp like this

Idiots will be idiots. Recognize it and don't be one yourself or engage in pointless dialog. Unless you are trying to entertain yourself.

#2 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm hoping for a Deduno Eulogy.

You're perfect, yes, it's true
But without me you're only you
Your menstruating heart
It ain't bleedin' enough for two
It's a midlife crisis

#3 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 425b or bust

• Members
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm hoping for Good Gibson.

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 6,241 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Mauer the DH two days in a row, after a day off?Hmmm, I smell injury and at this point maybe shutdown.

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 6,241 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

BTW, I just read the Twins website's account of Plouffe's historic homer.The Twins are the sixteenth club to hit 10,000 home runs.Now think about that.How many clubs were there in each league before 1961?That's right, eight in each league, so I guess the Twins are the last of the original 16 franchises to get to 10,000 long balls. 

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 10,867 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

BTW, I just read the Twins website's account of Plouffe's historic homer.The Twins are the sixteenth club to hit 10,000 home runs.Now think about that.How many clubs were there in each league before 1961?That's right, eight in each league, so I guess the Twins are the last of the original 16 franchises to get to 10,000 long balls.

The other 15 franchises got to hit against the Washington pitching staff.
  • ScrapTheNickname and Riverbrian like this

Go Twins!

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 6,241 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Only seven of 'em. Seven got to face the Cubs.
  • USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 6,241 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

I know you were making light of the woebegone Senators, but another factor IIRC was that their home park, Griffith Stadium, had deep dimensions, especially to left field. Harmon managed to win one HR championship despite a stadium where it was something like 350' feet to the fence down the left field line.

I found a site that talks about ballparks and Griffith Stadium had "unique" configurations in it's history. For most of it's existence it was over 400 feet down the line in left field. At one point, it was only 320' to the right field wall. When Killebrew led the league in homers, the fence was at 350' down the line.

Edited by stringer bell, 30 August 2014 - 05:24 PM.

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

In response to Brian's take on Delmon:

From the get go as a Twin he was uninspiring and sloppy and it became apparent by June 2008 that the trade was a pretty big failure.

Me and a good friend of mine nicknamed him "Clunky". Watching him run is like taking a handful of nuts and bolts and throwing them across a carpeted living room floor... it's a mess, they don't go where you predict and it is a waste of time to watch.

• Riverbrian likes this

You're perfect, yes, it's true
But without me you're only you
Your menstruating heart
It ain't bleedin' enough for two
It's a midlife crisis

#10 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Mauer really needed to move 'em over there. 

Which Gibson will show up tonight. 

And, of course there was one guy I didn't want to hit the 10,000th, so I turned the game off when he came up to bat.And that's the last i want to hear and read about it. 

he's gotta go

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,974 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Someone mentioned marketing in the "What's wrong with baseball thread?"

Today I saw some of the worst marketing ever --

I was watching the Hawkeyes eke out their win on the Big Ten Network.  At least twice I saw an All-State commercial that said something about you may not always be a Razorback or a (can't remember the second one) or a Tiger (LSU) but you will always (something positive about All-State).

The 2nd team was also SEC , I think.

WHY in the world would All-State show a SEC-focused commercial on BTN?

They have to have a bigger ad budget than that.  I couldn't believe it.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#12 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have a big deadline on a work project.  Last night I turned the game off as Davis' home run was landing.  I wonder how long I'll go tonight?

I have zero respect for Delmon Young.  No matter what he does in the majors I am glad the Twins got rid of him.  If Oliveros does well that's just a bonus.  The Tigers and Phillies both gave him away as well, even though he was decent for them.  And now he gets a hit against us.  I just don't care.

I am starting to think Trevor May should have been left in AAA until the end of their season...of course, we had to have someone.

Gibson- keep me engaged. Please.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,603 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I'm hoping for Good Gibson.

I'm hoping for good bratwurst on our grill, shortly.

• USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.-- Frank Zappa

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,974 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

A bad look in left field for the O's -- and it wasn't Delmon.

#15 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

A bad look in left field for the O's -- and it wasn't Delmon.

Yeah, Schafer would have caught that ball (though Willi wouldn't have gotten there).

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Gulp

RT @DanJGlickman: @MikeBerardino The trainer is out to check Alex Meyer and he's leaving game.

Edited by jokin, 30 August 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 6,241 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Gulp

RT @DanJGlickman: @MikeBerardino The trainer is out to check Alex Meyer and he's leaving game.

Just noticed that he got pulled when I checked the minor league scoreboard. A thread is started in Minor League Talk.

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,974 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino· 4m 
RHP Alex Meyer wasn't even hitting 90 mph on the Rochester stadium radar gun, according to those on-site. #MNTwins

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino· 1m 
I'm told Alex Meyer's velocity was down in his last start, too, though nothing as alarming as what happened tonight. Typically 95-99

#19 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 10,867 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Another great AB from Mauer.

Go Twins!

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,603 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Gulp

nice-things.jpg

• Riverbrian likes this

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.-- Frank Zappa