Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Final Two Days of Waiver Trades (Deduno)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Thompson's 10-season minor league odyssey and sketchy stat line seem to indicate he'll fit right in. Needing a "lefty who's getting lefties out" doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence for T-Bar and Deuce.

Not much subtlety with that quote.
  • USAFChief likes this
Papers...business papers.

#32 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Good Luck to ya Sam... I for one... appreciated what you contributed the past two years.

We didn't have much... It would have been worse without you.
  • glunn, Ben B, big dog and 2 others like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#33 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Thank You and Good Luck to Sam Deduno. I hope you gain Moore control of that Nasty stuff and prolong your career in the NL.

#34 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,608 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thank You and Good Luck to Sam Deduno. I hope you gain Moore control of that Nasty stuff and prolong your career in the NL.

Astros are in the AL.

#35 gbg

gbg

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Thompson's SO/9 in his MLB career is 1.2.

7.2 innings in MLB. You're seriously going to draw anything from that?

• Danchat and The Wise One like this

#36 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

Sammy Deduno, who embodied EFFECTIVELY WILD was as good at striking out guys as he was at walking them. Which doesn't play well as a starter, or out of the pen. But there was that World Baseball Classic magic...

Thanks for the memories Sammy D, have fun getting cut by the Astros this winter.

Deduno is average as a strikeout pitcher and below average in era, fip ad xfip. No complete games. How does one use effective as a description of Deduno's pitching with a straight face?

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

Thompson's 10-season minor league odyssey and sketchy stat line seem to indicate he'll fit right in.  Needing a "lefty who's getting lefties out" doesn't exactly sound like a vote of confidence for T-Bar and Deuce.

Yeah, this is an audition for Duensing's role... That said, if that's what they wanted, I'm a bit surprised O'rouke in AA didn't get the call. He's been lights out against lefties (not so much on the right side)

#38 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

There will be lots of 40 man decisions this off season and the Twins need to decide who will be exposed to the Rule V draft and who to protect. That also means they need to decide who they are cutting bait with. Deduno was the first of several DFA's/ non tenders to open up room IMO. Thompson just may be another one later this fall.

Edited by goulik, 31 August 2014 - 07:20 AM.

#39 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

I think this move is more a vote of confidence for Ryan Pressly then anything else. I believe Duensing will be non-tendered and that the Twins will try to re-sign him at what they believe he is worth. If he doesn't agree with them, they will bring up somebody else, bullpen arms aren't that hard to get an our system is stacked for bullpen arms.

#40 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

7.2 innings in MLB. You're seriously going to draw anything from that?

we're just havin' fun :)
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#41 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

we're just havin' fun :)

If 1 strikeout in 41 batters faced is your idea of fun, that is... :)

• snepp and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#42 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, this is an audition for Duensing's role... That said, if that's what they wanted, I'm a bit surprised O'rouke in AA didn't get the call. He's been lights out against lefties (not so much on the right side)

Good call.  Based on his promotion to AAA with Berrios to bolster Rochester's playoff hopes, I'm guessing he's held higher on the Twins hierarchical RP chain than Thompson.

#43 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Um.....hmmmm. That is unexpected. Not sure how to feel about the twins apparently caring more about Rochester's record than Minnesota's.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#44 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Um.....hmmmm. That is unexpected. Not sure how to feel about the twins apparently caring more about Rochester's record than Minnesota's.

One word:  "Affiliates!"

#45 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Another strange move by the front office - Deduno was actually better in relief than Swarzak and cost less.  We had open roster positions on the 40 man roster and rosters expanding tomorrow so no need to make the move.  Just like there was no reason to ship Worley away once he cleared waivers.  Hopefully this works out as well for Deduno.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Another strange move by the front office - Deduno was actually better in relief than Swarzak and cost less.

Yup.  Deduno isn't even arb-eligible next year.

I guess you can make the argument that both he and Swarzak should be gone, but it's not clear that Deduno should have gone first.

Interesting that one of the top priority teams claimed him.

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Just like there was no reason to ship Worley away once he cleared waivers.

Worley was a bigger head-scratcher, since it was in spring training, and we basically had his rights for the full season ahead to try to get him straightened out without taking up a 40-man roster spot.

If they were planning to cut Deduno in the offseason anyway, this just moves it up a month.  If they wanted to sneak him through waivers and sign him back, seems like the offseason would be a better time for it (even if he cleared waivers now, he'd be a minor league free agent after the season).

#48 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Ibarra just got taken of the 40 man.

Burton, Duensing, Swarzak (at least) will join him soon enough.

#49 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Why is Burton still around?

Doesn't anyone want Duensing and Swarzak?

Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#50 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Why is Burton still around?
Doesn't anyone want Duensing and Swarzak?

Why would another team want them?

#51 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Another strange move by the front office - Deduno was actually better in relief than Swarzak and cost less.  We had open roster positions on the 40 man roster and rosters expanding tomorrow so no need to make the move.  Just like there was no reason to ship Worley away once he cleared waivers.  Hopefully this works out as well for Deduno.

This team has plenty of 'long man' types in the pen. I liked Deduno, but I'm not crying over him going. Ryan gave him away which basically meant that his options were to give him away or pull him back because if Houston would have given a bag of balls for him, Ryan would have taken it.

#52 andy4butler

andy4butler

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

I live in Louisville (transplanted native Minnesotan and die hard Twins fan).  Rochester recently went through Louisville on a four game trip and I had the good fortune of watching some of the future.

Aaron Thompson impressed me greatly.  He was called in all sorts of situations and attacked the hitters.  I thought he was the most impressive member of the bullpen that I saw.  I sat right behind home plant and was also very impressed with Guerra.  I could not tell when he was throwing the fast ball and when he was throwing the change up except when I looked up at the radar gun.  Guerra was hit decently and couldn't get a called strike to save his life on his change up (Ump had a tight zone).  Tonkin was decent and Oliveros basically saved them one game that went five hours long before C/1B Rohlfing finished up with a save!  :-)  I was much more impressed with them than the highly touted starting pitchers.  

May didn't have control problems when I saw him pitch, but Meyer certainly did.  He didn't walk to many people, but he couldn't spot any pitch other than the fastball.  He definitely has a lot to work on before being called up.  If they don't call him up until late May next year ... I will be happy.  He has room to grow and it will save them millions when they need it.  Don't get me wrong ... he certainly looked to have #1 or #2 starter stuff ... but you must do more than just throw your fastball.  

I am glad Thompson is getting a shot and I do hope he makes the team out of Spring Training next year.   :jump:

Andy

• glunn, JB_Iowa, big dog and 1 other like this

#53 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Aaron Thompson is not making the team next year out of spring training.

#54 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Is it unreasonable to think that the baseball analysts on the team see something to like in Thompson so check it out.

That or the same analysts figure next Junes draft s 4 players deep and ....i

#55 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Aaron Thompson is not making the team next year out of spring training.

He might. Duensing surely isn't and things are trending downwards for Thielbar.

He is not the first guy I would have called up but don't have a huge problem. Another example of failed former first round pick they should be taking a chance on.

#56 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:15 AM

I agree no one should cry over the move - it's just would make more sense if they had:

1 - dropped the worst or most expense long relief pitcher or

2 - brought up a young pitcher and began a youth movement in the staff.  I think some of our pitchers will get AARP calls before getting a call to the majors or

3 - we didn't have to see nightly example of resent mistakes - Worley was another one we probably were not crying about when we gave him away or watching Liam Hendrick shut down the Twins offense or watching Mays get lite up while Revere battles for the NL batting crown.  The list seems to be getting longer.

#57 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ryan gave him away which basically meant that his options were to give him away or pull him back because if Houston would have given a bag of balls for him, Ryan would have taken it.

Reports say that Deduno was claimed on irrevocable waivers -- so no, TR could not pull him back.  This wasn't a trade waiver scenario -- this was trying to send Deduno to AAA and get him off the roster for someone else (presumably the non-roster September callups).

Not a big deal at the moment, but if Swarzak survives the winter on the 40-man (and/or Johnson/Pino), it will look like a very questionable decision.

#58 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

I don't understand why there's so much energy around retaining fringe roster players when the consensus also seems to be that we have too many of them.  :confused:

Good luck, Sam.

• stringer bell likes this

#59 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

I don't understand why there's so much energy around retaining fringe roster players when the consensus also seems to be that we have too many of them.  :confused:

Good luck, Sam.

Like Vance Worley? The point people are making, I believe, is that there was no reason to do this. Why do it? And, I'd hardly call 1.5 pages a lot of energy around here.

• jokin likes this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)