Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Did Trevor May forget how to pitch out of the stretch?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,289 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

There was a graphic on yesterday's game showing opponent batting average against Trevor May with bases empty vs. runners on base.

With no one on base: .261
With men on base: .500 (it was actually higher than .500 before last night)

Small sample size noise? Check out his splits from this season in Rochester

Empty: .206/.266/.294 (305 PA)
Men on:.297/.409/.443 (193 PA)

To make it more confusing, compare to his AA numbers

Empty: .254/.342/.433
Men on:.258/.340/.396

Empty: .245/.354/.427
Men on:.253/.344/.389

Did Trevor May forget to pitch out of the stretch or just get really good at pitching out of the windup? Both?
  • glunn likes this

2015-Over/Under Contest winner

EWieoxJ.jpg

#2 Platoon

Platoon

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Maybe he forgot more than that? There was a report that he was using the slide step, with the bases loaded before the Davis bomb! I did not notice that, but I did wonder at the time why he was pitching from the stretch, bases loaded, and a non bunting situation? The numbers shown above make it even more difficult to understand. Is it against major league protocol to yell out of the dugout......
WHY DONT YOU USE THE WINDUP??
  • glunn and Sweetwater like this

#3 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

That was my first thought last night as again with men on he just looked like a different pitcher.There's a problem from the stretch for sure. 

he's gotta go

#4 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Too many pointers from Ricky Nolasco in spring training.

• Riverbrian likes this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,199 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Rick Anderson's "coaching" takes effect really fast maybe?

*Ducks*

• Riverbrian, snepp and Danchat like this

#6 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

I think that he doesn't handle pressure well [yet?].His demeanor on the mound and facial expression changes noticeably when there are base-runners.

• glunn, maxisagod, big dog and 1 other like this

#7 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

I think that he doesn't handle pressure well [yet?].His demeanor on the mound and facial expression changes noticeably when there are base-runners.

I think he has some nerves to get over. This situation reminds me of Kyle Gibson last year. He got really nervous and got hit up all last season. The solution for Trevor May is similar to Kyle Gibson's... just keep giving him starts and experience this September and hope he has a good spring training and wins a spot in the rotation.

However, if he doesn't turn out, I expect him to be a good bullpen pitcher. That's actually what I predicted him to do last season when he was struggling.

• glunn likes this

#8 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm glad someone took the time to write an article on this.  I've been thinking the same thing during May's last three or four outings.  Looks reasonably effective with no one on and pitching out of the wind-up.  When a runner gets on though all heck breaks lose.  Don't know if it's mental or mechanical but someone needs to get on top of this.  Not sure if Andy is the guy to do it though.

• glunn likes this

#9 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

However, if he doesn't turn out, I expect him to be a good bullpen pitcher. That's actually what I predicted him to do last season when he was struggling.

Unfortunately, a relief pitcher often comes in with men on base!

• Halsey Hall and WLFINN like this

#10 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

I think he has some nerves to get over. This situation reminds me of Kyle Gibson last year. He got really nervous and got hit up all last season. The solution for Trevor May is similar to Kyle Gibson's... just keep giving him starts and experience this September and hope he has a good spring training and wins a spot in the rotation.

I hope the Twins are smart enough to do this with him (and Milone) and just let them keep taking their lumps. The time is now to find out if they're part of the future. 

• glunn likes this

#11 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 4,618 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

I hope the Twins are smart enough to do this with him (and Milone) and just let them keep taking their lumps. The time is now to find out if they're part of the future.

Could not agree more.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. - Harlan Ellison

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins Mods
  • 7,009 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Isn't Milone's situation much, much different from May?He's older and had established himself as a member of the A's rotation until they super-sized it.Further, if Milone fails, there is really no option of putting him in the bullpen, while there have been comments about May becoming a bullpen arm since his acquistion . 

#13 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Isn't Milone's situation much, much different from May?He's older and had established himself as a member of the A's rotation until they super-sized it.Further, if Milone fails, there is really no option of putting him in the bullpen, while there have been comments about May becoming a bullpen arm since his acquistion . 

They're different in that May has more upside and can go to the bullpen if needed. But they're similar in that the Twins just need to see what they have with both of them and let them finish out the year in the rotation. 

#14 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

All of baseball has seen what the Twins have in Milone and May and it sure is not much, is it?

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Not sure I'd write either off yet.

#16 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

All of baseball has seen what the Twins have in Milone and May and it sure is not much, is it?

Yup, May and his 19 major league innings are all anybody possibly needs to ever see, his book has been written.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, GCTF and 1 other like this

#17 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Nonsense, write them both off now, forever, it's a done deal.

• ChiTownTwinsFan and diehardtwinsfan like this

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'm ok more or less writing Milone off. Still was a worthwhile gamble.
Papers...business papers.

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,154 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

His (x)FIP numbers in the mid-5's suggest chilling out over a rookie taking some lumps. 

The situational stats noted in this thread offer things to work on; the swings and misses on his breaking ball looked good to me, maybe he's having trouble disguising those pitches from the stretch.I'd put him in the bullpen and use him frequently in long-relief scenarios for the rest of the season.

Lord, give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money.

#20 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 12,918 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Lets compromise and just write off the 19 innings.
  • glunn likes this

"Trying is the first step toward failure."  -H. Simpson