Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Schafer!

speed defense jordan schafer
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,894 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

August - .333/.405/.427, .391 BABIP, 11 SB, 9/11 BB/K
September - .190/.261/.190, .267 BABIP, 1 SB, 2/6 BB/K

SSS! BA is now .241 for September. A homer and 2 SB today help everything and he is still doing a good job overall.

#62 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

September - .241/.313/.345, .3SB, 3/8 BB/KSmall Sample Size. 1 game makes a big difference.

#63 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I've seen enough. Shafe is a player, in the 1987-1991 Twins mold. Just win baby.

Hicks and Parmalee on the bases yesterday were worse than little leagers.

Cut em. 

Let Shafe play LF. Start Bux and Sano with the big club. Let Meyer and Berrios come North too. 

Lets get the kids in the game. If Joe is gonna hit 270, lets bat him 7th

Santana SS

Suze C

Bux CF

Vargas DH

Plouffe/Sano 3b

Arcia rf

Mauer 1b

Doze 2b

Shafe lf

Work Sano in on a platoon basis. DH him or play him in LF sometimes and spell Bux with Shafe

lose Parm and Cola and Nunez.

Escobar util guy

rotation.

Hughes, May, Meyer, Gibby, Barios

Nolasco to BP.

Burton and Swarzak, see ya.

Milone, see Burton and Swarzak

#64 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,681 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Schafer looks a lot like Clete Thomas to me,more speed, less power and one felony drug arrest more.

My litmus test for players is whether or not they belong in a championship team.And if yes, in what kind of a role.  

Does Schafer belong in a championship team?Maybe as a bench player/ pinch runner?So does Danny Santana and I'd take Santana over him because of fielding versatility.

Got to aim high sometimes...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#65 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

I confess, I know next to nothing about Schafer except what I've seen, read here, and a casual glance at his milb numbers. I don't know if he has a real attitude problem or not, only that I haven't heard of one with the Twins yet, but I LOVE the traditional, high stirrup socks, (gotta be a good sign right?), and his speed and aggressiveness on the base paths.

I am far from convinced he is our LF answer at this point, but absolutely love what he has done there since we got him and slotted him in the #9 spot. Were my crystal ball working and I could see him playing and producing like this in 2015, I'd be happy and so "go for it".

The safer side of me says spend some decent money on a FA OF this offseason and hold on to Schafer as a 4th OF type. Something I've been advocating for some time. Whether the Twins sign a temp CF option for 2015 or not, I've advocated a solid 4th OF AAAA type also. Schafer fits this perfectly and could be a potential steal, even as a bench player.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#66 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

September - .241/.313/.345, .3SB, 3/8 BB/KSmall Sample Size. 1 game makes a big difference.

Actually, it was two more games, per ben's previous September sample quote hadn't yet been updated w/ Saturday's stats.  (FWIW, your current September numbers line up more closely with Schafer's season numbers:  .245/.321/.325).

Edited by jokin, 15 September 2014 - 09:10 PM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speed defense, jordan schafer