Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Dorsey: Miracle Add 2 100mph Pitchers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

David Dorsey covers the Ft. Myers Miracle. Today, he wrote this article about the two flamethrowers that have recently been added to their roster, in time for their playoff run. Nick Burdi was recently promoted from Cedar Rapids, and Zack Jones has been activate from the DL after missing all season after suffering an aneurysm in his right shoulder followed by blood clots. Both are capable of hitting 100 mph. 

good quotes from each.

#2 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Looking forward to the Twins having a bullpen with that kind of arm in it. Thanks for posting the article.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

The Twins bull pen will be absolutely stacked in teh coming years. Burdi and Larson are certainly 2 back end guys, but the system is littered with guys who have been flat out dominant in relief roles (though not with 100 MPH stuff).

I really hope that the Twins jettison a few relievers this offseason to start making room. There are serveral guys in AAA with very little to prove.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:10 AM

Burton's option won't be picked up.

Swarzak may or may not be tendered a contract. 

Burdi could be up by midseason. Jones will take a little longer. Oliveros is ready to get back to the big leagues.  Curious if Deolis Guerra gets a shot in September.

• glunn likes this

#5 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Get rid of the soft tossers and bring in the power arms in the bullpen.  This in my opinion has been a key to Kansas City's success, being able to go to Herrera, Davis and Holland in the late innings.  No way Burton or Deduno are kept around, I think even Duensing and Swarzak may not be back either.  Is the league figuring Casey Fien out?  

#6 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I, for one, am almost giddy with the thought of a staff full of power arms in the not-too-distant future.  While a power arm obviously doesn't guarantee major league success for an individual pitcher or the team, it's a good weapon to have for both.

#7 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Burton's option won't be picked up.

Swarzak may or may not be tendered a contract. 

Burdi could be up by midseason. Jones will take a little longer. Oliveros is ready to get back to the big leagues.  Curious if Deolis Guerra gets a shot in September.

Basically by reading this we will need some of our current relievers for at least the first half next year. Our bullpen is solid now so don't be too upset if we keep most of our pen from this year into next.  And start changing them out throughout the season like we did with our offense this season.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

How was Jones' blod clots remedied?  Was it through surgery or medication?  Just wondering if anything invasive was done to his shoulder.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,434 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

If there is a stadium radar gun to hit 100, that is Hammond's (seen Duensing hit 97 there.)   Unfortunately they are playing at Jet Blue right now...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

How was Jones' blod clots remedied?  Was it through surgery or medication?  Just wondering if anything invasive was done to his shoulder.

I know it was surgery on the aneurysm... it was blood thinners for the blood clots, at least that's what the story says. He told me that at the time in March, and based on his timeline coming back, I assume that worked.