Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ Royals, 8/27 @ 7:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,683 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

TWINS:
SP, Hughes

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Vargas DH
Arcia RF
Plouffe 3B
Suzuki C
Escobar SS
Schafer LF

ROYALS:
SP, Hendriks

Aoki RF
Escobar SS
Gordon LF
Butler 1B
Perez C
Ibanez DH
Moustakas 3B
Colon 2B
Dyson CF

-------------------------------

It's kinda quiet in here... I suppose I should just dive in and make some noise. 

Things to Thinks About:

1. Quick and Easy -- It felt a little shocking the way last night's game ended. We had a 1-0 lead in the 9th and Perkins on the mound... That's supposed to be a done deal. With one swing of the bat... Alex Gordon hit a 2 run homer and the Royals walked off with a win. There were no more pitches to be thrown. Like snapping your fingers... it was done... just like that. It didn't feel good but oddly I felt Ok... We got a decent pitching performance from someone who had not been pitching decently. The Royals are closer to knocking off the Tigers... It's gonna be alright. 

2. Ricky Nolasco -- I missed the first half of the game and was surprised to see the score Nil-Nil with Nolasco on the mound. He Lowered his ERA from 5.96 to 5.62. He's got some lowering to go but it was heartening to see him produce in one game at least. This way we know that he can actually do it. Now he just has to keep doing it for awhile and get that ERA down to 5.14 or something.

3. Liam Hendriks -- OK... We've seen this guy before. Here's the recent timeline. In December he was DFA'd by the Twins and the Blue Jays claimed him. He made a couple of MLB Spot Starts for the Jays this year... Some successful and one that was a complete disaster... All in all... He has had a decent year in AAA in Buffalo. The Jays traded him to the Royals in July for Danny Valencia and that's another guy that we have seen before. You know the Twins have hit the big time when ex-players are being traded for ex-players. Liam is only 25 years old and he's from Perth Australia. Perth is on the extreme Western side of Australia while all the action happens on the Eastern Side. To get to Perth from Sydney or Melbourne... You have to strap Roo Bars on your car just so you can collide with the 20 or so Kangaroos out of the millions that will be littering the highways on the 12 day trip across the entire large island. I suppose that Liam is looking forward to facing the Twins tonight... perhaps with a chip on his shoulder. At least I think that's a chip on his shoulder... It could be a Tasmanian Devil.

4. 1 Run -- You'd think I'd be thinking about the 1 run scored by the Twins last night but I'm not thinking about that when I think of 1 run. I'm thinking about Phil Hughes. Phil has allowed 1 run in each of his last 4 starts. I'd be Ok with him making it 5. 30 K's over that time... His ERA sits at 3.65... For the Twins... That's our Ace. 

5. Pancreas -- Today at work... someone was lifting a table and swung himself into the door frame and he said "Uff... My Pancreas" and then he moved on with the table. That got me thinking... You never hear the word Pancreas in a positive tone. 

• glunn, Bark's Lounge, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

After so many years, it feels good to keep sending out the same lineup night after night, and it's not a bad one. There is hope. :)

• ChiTownTwinsFan, stringer bell and Danchat like this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#3 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,540 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hopefully they have a good scouting report on this Hendriks kid. ;)
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, James and 2 others like this

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--  G.B. Shaw

#4 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hopefully this Hendricks kid pitches like he used to in the majors.

• glunn likes this

#5 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 14,488 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

"At least I think it's a chip on his shoulder...it could be a Tasmanian devil."

It could be kangaroo doo, too.
  • glunn, Bark's Lounge, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#6 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Liam Hendriks' start tonight = Crocodile Dundee 3 (That movie really did happen).

• USAFChief and Riverbrian like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,683 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

5. Pancreas -- Today at work... someone was lifting a table and swung himself into the door frame and he said "Uff... My Pancreas" and then he moved on with the table. That got me thinking... You never hear the word Pancreas in a positive tone.

He just said 'Uff'? Not Uff da?
  • USAFChief, glunn, Bark's Lounge and 1 other like this

#8 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

I can't wait for dinner tonight- braised pancreas with sauteed mushrooms.Mmmmm, that's good pancreas!

• USAFChief, glunn, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#9 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Liam Hendriks' start tonight = Crocodile Dundee 3 (That movie really did happen).

That makes sense, there was so much left unexplored in the first two movies and I am guessing the third movie focused on the strengths of the first two and built on that.  If my memory is correct, most 1980 movie franchisees that had a 3 at the end were top notch and fresh (and often in a primitive 3-D technology).  Hopefully Liam's pitching will have a similar quality as this movie.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief, glunn and 2 others like this

#10 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

rhinophant

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

I can't wait for dinner tonight- braised pancreas with sauteed mushrooms.Mmmmm, that's good pancreas!

Isn't it better panfried? 

• glunn and Riverbrian like this

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,315 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Lost a tough one last night.Go get 'em tonight!I'm not that broken up over the loss last night.To contrast it with another loss, I "boycotted" Twins baseball for two days after they blew the 5-0 to Cleveland.Last night was a sharply played game by both teams, with lots of good pitching.Contenders find a way to win those games, while non-contenders find a way to lose.Perkins is a good closer and he'll save the Twins next close win, I'll wager, but he got bit last night. 

The next two games should be better for the Twins offense.The KC bully is tough, so they had better rough up the starters.

#12 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,540 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Crocodile Dundee 4; Crocnado.
  • Bark's Lounge and Riverbrian like this

"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."

--  G.B. Shaw

#13 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

rhinophant

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

3. Liam Hendriks -- OK... You have to strap Roo Bars on your car just so you can collide with the 20 or so Kangaroos out of the millions that will be littering the highways on the 12 day trip across the entire large island.

Are roo bars a real thing?Can we get some rally roo bars in honor of Liam?

I hope Mr. Hendriks pitches well.Though i think i also hope we hit him better...

• Riverbrian likes this

#14 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,540 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Perk's Pizza Party!

Ok, if I actually had those kinds of discretionary funds, I'd bid on lunch with Sir Rodney and Tony O.

--  G.B. Shaw

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:12 PM

I wish it would rain here.

Still in the low 70's but all of a sudden about 5:30, it just got oppressive.  Humidity must be about as high as can get without actually raining.

Ick.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Perk's Pizza Party!

Ok, if I actually had those kinds of discretionary funds, I'd bid on lunch with Sir Rodney and Tony O.

They have fun things to auction.

We're doing a benefit auction for our town swimming pool in a couple of weeks.  Somehow loads of gravel or bags of seed corn don't seem nearly as exciting as lunch with Sir Rodney and Tony O!!

Edited by JB_Iowa, 27 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#17 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

OK the loss last night tied us for the 5th pick right now. With a few extra wins we can drop to 8 or 9th. Witha few less wins we have a chance to jump as high as 3rd.

Does winning extra games mean enough to possibly drop out of the best prospects?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#18 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,540 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

They have fun things to auction.

We're doing a benefit auction for our town swimming pool in a couple of weeks.  Somehow loads of gravel or bags of seed corn don't seem nearly as exciting as lunch with Sir Rodney and Tony O!!

I have use for a load of gravel. Can't afford that either.

--  G.B. Shaw

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,315 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

"Base hit", where's Chief?

#20 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have use for a load of gravel. Can't afford that either.

You'd be better off just buying it.  Stuff at our benefit auctions always goes above market price.