Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.
It's kinda quiet in here... I suppose I should just dive in and make some noise.
Things to Thinks About:
1. Quick and Easy -- It felt a little shocking the way last night's game ended. We had a 1-0 lead in the 9th and Perkins on the mound... That's supposed to be a done deal. With one swing of the bat... Alex Gordon hit a 2 run homer and the Royals walked off with a win. There were no more pitches to be thrown. Like snapping your fingers... it was done... just like that. It didn't feel good but oddly I felt Ok... We got a decent pitching performance from someone who had not been pitching decently. The Royals are closer to knocking off the Tigers... It's gonna be alright.
2. Ricky Nolasco -- I missed the first half of the game and was surprised to see the score Nil-Nil with Nolasco on the mound. He Lowered his ERA from 5.96 to 5.62. He's got some lowering to go but it was heartening to see him produce in one game at least. This way we know that he can actually do it. Now he just has to keep doing it for awhile and get that ERA down to 5.14 or something.
3. Liam Hendriks -- OK... We've seen this guy before. Here's the recent timeline. In December he was DFA'd by the Twins and the Blue Jays claimed him. He made a couple of MLB Spot Starts for the Jays this year... Some successful and one that was a complete disaster... All in all... He has had a decent year in AAA in Buffalo. The Jays traded him to the Royals in July for Danny Valencia and that's another guy that we have seen before. You know the Twins have hit the big time when ex-players are being traded for ex-players. Liam is only 25 years old and he's from Perth Australia. Perth is on the extreme Western side of Australia while all the action happens on the Eastern Side. To get to Perth from Sydney or Melbourne... You have to strap Roo Bars on your car just so you can collide with the 20 or so Kangaroos out of the millions that will be littering the highways on the 12 day trip across the entire large island. I suppose that Liam is looking forward to facing the Twins tonight... perhaps with a chip on his shoulder. At least I think that's a chip on his shoulder... It could be a Tasmanian Devil.
4. 1 Run -- You'd think I'd be thinking about the 1 run scored by the Twins last night but I'm not thinking about that when I think of 1 run. I'm thinking about Phil Hughes. Phil has allowed 1 run in each of his last 4 starts. I'd be Ok with him making it 5. 30 K's over that time... His ERA sits at 3.65... For the Twins... That's our Ace.
5. Pancreas -- Today at work... someone was lifting a table and swung himself into the door frame and he said "Uff... My Pancreas" and then he moved on with the table. That got me thinking... You never hear the word Pancreas in a positive tone.