Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ough-the-Minors

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Ouch, looks like everyone has been losing quite a bit recently. Well, except the big league Twins.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hermsen met some good hitters and the ball flew around on him. He seems to give up a lot of base runners. He needs to get on the 40 man, earn some more more money and start eating steak so he can get some extra mph on that fastball

#4 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hermsen met some good hitters and the ball flew around on him. He seems to give up a lot of base runners. He needs to get on the 40 man, earn some more more money and start eating steak so he can get some extra mph on that fastball

Hermsen actually leads all Twins minor league starters in WHIP (1.02). He doesn't walk anybody though (only 5 BB in 48.2 IP with New Britain), so that basically means he's giving up 1 hit per inning. I keep thinking he's going to hit a wall because of his velocity, but he hasn't yet. Maybe he just understands how to get people out a lot better than most.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#5 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hermsen actually leads all Twins minor league starters in WHIP (1.02). He doesn't walk anybody though (only 5 BB in 48.2 IP with New Britain), so that basically means he's giving up 1 hit per inning. I keep thinking he's going to hit a wall because of his velocity, but he hasn't yet. Maybe he just understands how to get people out a lot better than most.

Yea, he's definitely a control guy. Guys like that can go far if they can minimize the hits in a row. I'm not sure what his fastball tops out at -- 87 or so??
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

When I've seen him with a gun trained on him he sat 82-84, topping out at 86. But I'd guess he's a tick or two better than that as a season wears on. I think Seth has written before that he sits 88-90, and can touch 92, so who knows, but I think that's being generous.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

That's likely with the 4-seamer. With the 2-seamer, the ball moves and sinks like crazy, but that one tops out at like 87.

#8 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

I have to believe when I've seen him he wasn't throwing strictly 2-seamers, but I can confirm the movement he's got. At ST this year he actually walked about 5 guys in one outing I watched. It was like he was getting too much movement (if that's possible), and couldn't locate because of it. That was all mixed in with a bunch of weak contact so he didn't really get rocked though.