Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

A Far-Fetched Trade

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Why on earth would we trade a 5M sunk cost for a 45M sunk cost?I'm not a fan of Schafer but I would rather have him than a 15M/yr BJ Upton.That's how bad Upton is.

• gunnarthor likes this

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#22 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

I agree - the Twins should not be interested in acquiring Upton at all. Just speaking hypothetically about what the Braves and Twins would be willing to trade in bad contracts.

The Twins would not do it straight up, Pelf for Upton.

Would either team want to do Pelfrey and Pinto for Upton and Gattis? Apparently the Braves are soured on Gattis' defense... I'm guessing it's really more about $$

If I were the Twins, I would consider Pelfrey and Pinto for Upton, Gattis, and a young arm.

If I were the Braves, I don't know if I would be willing to add a third player, but I'd have to consider it to get rid of Upton's contract.

But really, I wouldn't want Upton's contract for anything. The Braves are going to have add some cash to pretty much any deal involving him.

#23 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Bad contracts from bad teams that maybe the Twins should consider among players who have cleared waivers?

Shin-Soo Choo

Curtis Granderson

Trevor Cahill

Alex Rios

These four could probably be had for very little in return, 

If the Dodgers were desperate enough to get Correia, they could possibly jump at the chance to move Kemp for Nolasco.

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

I think Nolasco has had a pretty good career and was hurt this year.His next three years should be better than his last year, IMO.It would be a silly time to trade him.He can be a #3-4 starter in this league still.BJ Upton looks like a very high K, very low BA, and a poor attitude.So roughly owed the same amount of money with an extra year, I would rather have Nolasco. 

Minor is slightly appealing, but he is not better than Meyer, Gibson, or Hughes IMO. 

Edited by tobi0040, 27 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

As per MLBTR, the Cubbies and Braves are in talks that would move Edwin Jackson to the Braves for Mike Minor & B.J. Upton.

http://www.mlbtrader...l#disqus_thread

I'm curious if the Twins could arrange this with Ricky Nolasco for the same two. 

What are your thoughts?

There were never "talks" regarding Minor that got anywhere.  The Cubs asked for Minor PLUS over half of Upton's salary to be paid.  The Braves have reportedly confirmed that they'd have done the deal at the deadline (not now, as Minor's been one of the best pitchers in baseball in August), but it would have been BJ + a max of $10M for Jackson or BJ + Minor for Jackson + cash.  The Cubs wanted significantly more than $10M.

I don't see any possibility of Nolasco as the Braves are very familiar with Nolasco, and they were offered a deal before he was moved to Los Angeles for a prospect in the 30-40 range on their top prospects with the rest of the season paid by the Marlins, and they passed it up.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

Bad contracts from bad teams that maybe the Twins should consider among players who have cleared waivers?

Shin-Soo Choo

Curtis Granderson

Trevor Cahill

Alex Rios

These four could probably be had for very little in return, 

If the Dodgers were desperate enough to get Correia, they could possibly jump at the chance to move Kemp for Nolasco.

Choo is done for the season at this point, and he has an incredibly nasty contract for the next 6 years that is extremely backloaded with $14M per this season and in 2015, then $20M each 2016-2018, and then $21M in 2019 and 2020.  One of the worst contracts of the offseason.

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

I agree - the Twins should not be interested in acquiring Upton at all. Just speaking hypothetically about what the Braves and Twins would be willing to trade in bad contracts.

The Twins would not do it straight up, Pelf for Upton.

Would either team want to do Pelfrey and Pinto for Upton and Gattis? Apparently the Braves are soured on Gattis' defense... I'm guessing it's really more about $$

If I were the Twins, I would consider Pelfrey and Pinto for Upton, Gattis, and a young arm.

If I were the Braves, I don't know if I would be willing to add a third player, but I'd have to consider it to get rid of Upton's contract.

But really, I wouldn't want Upton's contract for anything. The Braves are going to have add some cash to pretty much any deal involving him.

Yeah, what you said here...not a chance of happening.

Gattis has received high marks from the Braves staff in his defense this season.  The reason he's being considered for a move is that they have possibly the best defensive catcher since Yadi ready for the majors and Gattis is still cheap and could fetch a huge trade return.  If the Twins opened talks with Kohl Stewart or J.O. Berrios, then Gattis may be a discussion, but that's really the only way the Braves will move him this offseason is if they're blown away.

#28 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

I don't get why the Braves would want to make that trade unless they really really dislike having Upton on their team.

Upton has been that terrible.  He's being replaced by a guy who was released during spring training currently in the Braves lineup.  They also have room for a guy whose contract will be off the books after 2016, when the extensions signed this offseason start to get expensive. Nolasco is more expensive and has one more year than they'd like, so he's not a good fit for what they'd like to do in moving BJ.

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Upton is so bad he might just be considered a sunk cost at this point.  Minor was good last year but he hasn't been great this year, for whatever reason.  fWAR actually has Nolasco higher than Minor this year and bWAR is pretty close.  Both have been bad ERA+-wise (71 and 75).  I think I actually trust Nolasco a bit more than Minor at this point, at least if Upton is involved.

Oh goodness.