Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

A Far-Fetched Trade

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

As per MLBTR, the Cubbies and Braves are in talks that would move Edwin Jackson to the Braves for Mike Minor & B.J. Upton.

http://www.mlbtrader...l#disqus_thread

I'm curious if the Twins could arrange this with Ricky Nolasco for the same two. 

What are your thoughts?

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,517 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Interesting concept, picking up money to get an upgrade in the rotation.

Upton is not good.

Papers...business papers.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

It is one way to get players, take on bad contracts and get a better prospect.......I don't recall the Twins doing that in the past, but I could be forgetting something.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,517 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

It is one way to get players, take on bad contracts and get a better prospect.......I don't recall the Twins doing that in the past, but I could be forgetting something.

I can't really remember this happening with other teams.

And, of course, it hasn't happened here either (yet).

Unique trade, smart for a bigger market rebuilding team with some extra money to burn.

#5 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

The bad player for bad player swap is an interesting one. Sometimes it works well (Jason Grilli to the Angels after struggling with Pittsburgh) sometimes it doesn't (Ernesto Frieri to the Pirates - AKA the other half of the aformentioned trade).

In this case, BJ Upton has been so utterly, disastrously bad in Atlanta that I'd still rather have Nolasco.

#6 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

The bad player for bad player swap is an interesting one. Sometimes it works well (Jason Grilli to the Angels after struggling with Pittsburgh) sometimes it doesn't (Ernesto Frieri to the Pirates - AKA the other half of the aformentioned trade).

In this case, BJ Upton has been so utterly, disastrously bad in Atlanta that I'd still rather have Nolasco.

Correct, but the Minor seems to be the major acquisition, which certainly sweetens the pot.

In no way has Nolasco been as bad as Upton, but conversly Nolasco has not been as good as Minor so...

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,517 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

A trade scenario that seems more likely for the Twins and Nolasco would be for one of the Dodgers OFs - Kemp or Ethier, with money or prospects changing hands to balance. It would be a bad contract for bad contract, but could fill the LF position. Then reinvest in another FA pitcher (or two). That would be my ideal offseason for the Twins.

• birdwatcher and Paul Pleiss like this

#8 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

i would take it but I believe Nolasco has a lot more length of a contract then Jackson

#9 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

A trade scenario that seems more likely for the Twins and Nolasco would be for one of the Dodgers OFs - Kemp or Ethier, with money or prospects changing hands to balance. It would be a bad contract for bad contract, but could fill the LF position. Then reinvest in another FA pitcher (or two). That would be my ideal offseason for the Twins.

Agreed! Bring me a catcher too, Santa.
  • Danchat and Sconnie like this

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

2 years and 22 mil for Jackson. 46 million left on Upton. Is Minor the pitcher he was in 2013 or the rest of the time. 24 million is a lot to pay to find out if you have a good pitcher or a mediocre one.

Nolasco for Upton and Minor, probably not.

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Minor has some shoulder problems.An underrated pitcher if healthy but that could quickly change and then you are left with Upton who is barely playable currently (negative WAR FWIW).

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#12 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

I actually kind of like this. I don't see it happening, but I could get behind it.

Doubt the Dodgers would trade Kemp, but think they could be in on Ethier. I'm no expert on Either, but I've heard some bad reports about his defense.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#13 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

I wouldn't touch B. J. Upton. I would wait until mid-2015 to see if Nolasco has rebounded or not, and if not, then I'd explore a trade like this.

• gunnarthor and Stan Zbornak like this

#14 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Only if Joe Mauer can be worked into the trade. Bad contract swap and maybe the Twins could get a better pitcher than Minor in return.

#15 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

I don't get why the Braves would want to make that trade unless they really really dislike having Upton on their team.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,455 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

I have to think Jackson's two remaining years is much, much more attractive than Nolasco's three remaining years.I'd be interested but hesitant, mostly because I'm not sure the club would be willing to make a guy earning $14 million+ per year a 4th OF, which is clearly what Upton should be at this point. 

Though getting out of his younger and richer brother's shadow may very well be what he needs to get a boost.

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Upton is so bad he might just be considered a sunk cost at this point.  Minor was good last year but he hasn't been great this year, for whatever reason.  fWAR actually has Nolasco higher than Minor this year and bWAR is pretty close.  Both have been bad ERA+-wise (71 and 75).  I think I actually trust Nolasco a bit more than Minor at this point, at least if Upton is involved.

#18 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Can we throw Pelfrey into any trade please? :)

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#19 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Upton + cash for Jackson makes more sense. Minor may not be of the same vintage as some of the classic Braves pitchers, but Jackson for Minor doesn't seem like an even trade, even though the main goal is dumping the Upton contract.

#20 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Can we throw Pelfrey into any trade please? :)

Pelfrey for Upton would be interesting... The Braves would possibly want to do that just to get rid of Upton, but it would mean a lot of bloat on the Twins Payroll (which they have been mostly able to cut out via trade the last two months).

I don't think the Braves would sweeten an Upton for Pelfrey deal with a 2nd player, but maaaaybe they would?

With only one year left on his contract, Pelfrey would be a bit more enticing than Jackson for cost reasons. The Twins might be able to get a second player back in that deal if they add someone marginally useful to the Braves. No opinion on who that might be.

Upton's contract is really awful. It would be hard to justify taking it on given his struggles this year.