Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Things worse than the NBA

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

You listed a bunch of things that I completely agree with but have nothing to do with the KG trade.  Value this is not nearly as bad of a trade as people make it out to be.  If Wiggins is just a little disappointing then it will be hard for the Love trade to match.  FWIW though I love the Love trade considering the place the Wolves were in.  It could easily have ended like the Johan trade. 

I think the Rubio pick was from Washington and the Wolves got back their Flynn pick back from Boston.  And it looks like the other pick in the trade was Ellington.  Just awful drafting and trading (not the KG trade) for over a decade.  Imagine not taking Flynn and instead keeping Lawson from that draft.

I look forward to the day that a pitching prospect is truly blocked by good pitchers.

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

You listed a bunch of things that I completely agree with but have nothing to do with the KG trade.  Value this is not nearly as bad of a trade as people make it out to be.  If Wiggins is just a little disappointing then it will be hard for the Love trade to match.  FWIW though I love the Love trade considering the place the Wolves were in.  It could easily have ended like the Johan trade. 

I think the Rubio pick was from Washington and the Wolves got back their Flynn pick back from Boston.  And it looks like the other pick in the trade was Ellington.  Just awful drafting and trading (not the KG trade) for over a decade.  Imagine not taking Flynn and instead keeping Lawson from that draft.

Or taking DeRozen and keeping Lawson.  That was the assumption where they would go with the second pick.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#33 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yeah Kab, I was just ranting (not related to the KG trade)  

However, I still feel the haul for KG was pretty weak (if the Celts weren't willing to give up Rondo, they should've found a better suitor)

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,819 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

I love college BKB. It would be ok with me if they lengthened the shot clock,or eliminated it. Other than that, it's fantastic.

I can't watch an NBA game because to me, while they may be very good at what they do, they are not playing basketball.

Go Twins!

#35 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

Eliminate the clock Chief? Really? I think the return of the 4 corners offense and teams passing the ball 950 times before attempting the winning shot in a 13-12 game just might kill college hoops.

I'm a big fan of college bkb but I think the shot clock and the 3 pointer have overwhelmingly contributed to the growth in the games popularity. I think we'll see a 30 second clock before too long.

#36 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,819 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:40 PM

Eliminate the clock Chief? Really? I think the return of the 4 corners offense and teams passing the ball 950 times before attempting the winning shot in a 13-12 game just might kill college hoops.
I'm a big fan of college bkb but I think the shot clock and the 3 pointer have overwhelmingly contributed to the growth in the games popularity. I think we'll see a 30 second clock before too long.

I'm weird, what can I say? I grew up with no college or HS shot clock (or three point line). It's weird you say 13-12...One of the most memorable HS games I ever saw ended up something like that. A hopelessly outmanned team played keep away against an aggressive man to man defense the entire game, and when they got the ball would only shoot an uncontested layup or with a couple seconds left until the end of the quarter ( no halves in those days, four quarters.). They were good enough, and well coached enough, that they could do so without turning the ball over, but were giving up too much height and talent to win playing straight up. They ended up losing anyway, but to me it was pretty cool they had a chance to win in the end.

I get that's not most people's idea of a good BKB game. Maybe I wouldn't want to watch it all the time either...don't actually know. But I hope they don't shorten the college shot clock...the rich will get richer and you'll see fewer upsets.

Go Twins!

#37 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

Frankly, when I hear someone make a comment like this, especially if they tell me how much more they prefer the college game, I know that this person has actually not watched NBA basketball recently.  The NBA product right now is as good as it has been since Magic/Bird/Isaiah days.  The league has very good teams all over, and the style of basketball is drastically better than the early 2000s. .

Spot. Freaking. On.

We are in a golden era of NBA basketball.  There are so many good teams/franchises right now.  The NBA playoffs have been incredible over the last 5-7 years.  The west is just ridiculous right now.  People like to look back at the 80s as this golden era of basketball (and as a Celtics fan I'm guilty of this), but most of those people are just remembering the really big playoff matchups.  There were a ton of garbage franchises back then.  for a good chunk of the 80s the Lakers never had a serious test in the playoffs until they got to the finals.  

BYTO R.I.P.

#38 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

Yet God forbid someone post anything about another sport in the Twins section.  It seems from an outsider point of view a post intended to provoke, and such posts have generally been frowned upon with Twins Daily.  If anyone comes and does "drive by posting" intended to just irk people, that poster tends to go down the respect meter in the community a ton.  At least you came back and attempted to explain your irrational dislike, but it's still confusing why you'd start a thread with a drive-by post.  I will never understand the enjoyment of the DH rule, but you won't see me starting threads on it with a simple "the DH sucks" and walk away.  The discussion gets framed when someone intentionally intends to provoke response.  There aren't typically going to be well-thought-out posts following that sort of beginning to a thread, hence why I tried to steer the conversation into something more interesting and with some sort of depth rather than having it simply turn into a flame war.

That said, it's pretty clear what the intent was, and I'll bow out of further responses to troll-like behavior on this thread now that I've said my piece.

I don't understand your irk for my post. Late at night, looking to have some fun on the interwebs within a community I enjoy... If you don't like the DH you should absolutely start a discussion about it. I imagine that a post that simply says the DH sucks will generate some awesome content, and people with well thought out responses will come bring all sorts of awesomeness to the topic.

I was just trying to have some fun at the NBA's expense.

#39 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Spot. Freaking. On.

We are in a golden era of NBA basketball.  There are so many good teams/franchises right now.  The NBA playoffs have been incredible over the last 5-7 years.  The west is just ridiculous right now.  People like to look back at the 80s as this golden era of basketball (and as a Celtics fan I'm guilty of this), but most of those people are just remembering the really big playoff matchups.  There were a ton of garbage franchises back then.  for a good chunk of the 80s the Lakers never had a serious test in the playoffs until they got to the finals.  

The interesting part there is that the West at that time was like the East is now - one or two teams that seem to always be favorites from preseason to Finals (only the Lakers and Rockets represented the West in the entire decade), and then the East was tremendous with the Bulls, Knicks, Celtics, Pistons, 76ers, Hawks, Bullets, and Bucks all having multiple years going deep in the playoffs during the 1980s.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#40 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Those Bucks teams from the mid 80s were tough.  It's just too bad they had to be in the same conference as the Celtics and 76ers, who were both loaded for bear at the time.  

And as you said earlier, the early 00s were a pretty rough time in NBA history.  The East was in complete shambles.  Between the Jordan Bulls and Rasheed/Billups/Hamilton Pistons, basically every team that made it out the East was a sacrificial lamb to whoever one the west.  And even then there were some very good teams.  The Spurs, Lakers, and Kings were all playing championship-quality basketball in that era.  The Nets were a step below at that time, but they were a lot of fun to watch.  

BYTO R.I.P.