Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Things worse than the NBA

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

A list:

1. Moving to Wisconsin.

2. Being attacked by a swarm of bees

3. Lutefisk

That's about it.

Which means I'd rather have my sex organs smashed in a vice, drink a glass of a homeless man's urine, or spend a day with Miley Cirus than watch a single game of NBA basketball.

• James and LaBombo like this

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Your opinion is duly noted.  Thanks for sharing.

• FattCrapps likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#3 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,912 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

I wouldn't even put lutefisk on that list. Enough melted butter drowns the lutefisk effectively.
  • diehardtwinsfan and Paul Pleiss like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Tell the truth, you're still bitter about the Sonics leaving, aren't you?

• Paul Pleiss likes this

#5 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Frankly, when I hear someone make a comment like this, especially if they tell me how much more they prefer the college game, I know that this person has actually not watched NBA basketball recently.  The NBA product right now is as good as it has been since Magic/Bird/Isaiah days.  The league has very good teams all over, and the style of basketball is drastically better than the early 2000s.  The local squad hasn't been winning in bunches, but anyone who would say that even the Timberwolves haven't been an exciting product to watch recently is simply not paying attention.

Now if you're not a basketball fan, that's another issue completely, but if we're going anywhere to discuss basketball, this is incredibly better than the cesspools of Rube Chat or STrib comment sections for TWolves fans.  I'm not a fan of soccer or hockey in spite of many attempts to get into both, but I have no desire to go put down either sport, especially in a way that singles out the highest talent and competition of the sport.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#6 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

I think some prefer the college game to the pros because NBA officiating is a joke. Teams can have titles taken from them (2002 Kings, 2007 Suns) because of ridiculous calls.  

I watched a Heat vs Wolves game a few years back, and Dwayne Wade purposefully bumped into the immovable Luke Ridnour..  When they made "contact" Wade flew back like he had just landed on a bomb.  Of course he got the call...

I also love how the superstars complain after every call they don't get.  Durant, Lebron, Wade, CP3....ugh.  

• TheLeviathan likes this

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have started watching basketball again.It's a different game than 25+ years ago but it's pretty good right now imo.I have been impressed at how much better the shooting has improved.This is good and bad.Jumpers have almost become automatic and teams are relying on them (and especially 3's).Much better than the sloppy mess from 10 years ago.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#8 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

I prefer the college game but I wouldn't disparage the NBA, those guys are supremely talented. Personally I find the NBA just a bit plodding at times, it's much more of a half court game for the most part, I like how the college kids race around everywhere despite them not being anywhere near as good.

#9 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

My main issue with the NBA is way too many games. Second issue is way too coached, becomes too plodding and grind it out.

Papers...business papers.

#10 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

...and the fact that the last 3 minutes of the game takes about an hour and a half, and consists of 25 free throws.

• twinsnorth49 and TheLeviathan like this

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,081 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

The officiating and pace to this game are atrocious. The college game needs a shorter shot clock.
  • FattCrapps likes this

#12 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,539 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

The college game needs a shorter shot clock.

Fully agree and they need to move the 3 point line back, even Canadian University is further out. That line is a simple jump shot for a lot of guys.

• FattCrapps likes this

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,081 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

Fully agree and they need to move the 3 point line back, even Canadian University is further out. That line is a simple jump shot for a lot of guys.

I'm just tired of watching college players stand around for 30 seconds every position before finally starting their play.  It's obnoxious.

#14 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

I just like ragging on the NBA, and basketball in general, it's like a fans who enjoy booing Joe Mauer. It doesn't make sense, but hey, if you're in the entertainment business you should beable to handle some ribbing.

I'm not saying that basektball players aren't talented, they are. And they are probably the best athletes in the country.

I'm not a fan of college basketball either. Basketball is fun to play, but to watch at the highest levels isn't enjoyable to me. It's painful. And so instead of watching i like to complain about it late at night on baseball-centric websites.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

I just like ragging on the NBA, and basketball in general, it's like a fans who enjoy booing Joe Mauer. It doesn't make sense, but hey, if you're in the entertainment business you should beable to handle some ribbing.

I'm not saying that basektball players aren't talented, they are. And they are probably the best athletes in the country.

I'm not a fan of college basketball either. Basketball is fun to play, but to watch at the highest levels isn't enjoyable to me. It's painful. And so instead of watching i like to complain about it late at night on baseball-centric websites.

Yet God forbid someone post anything about another sport in the Twins section.  It seems from an outsider point of view a post intended to provoke, and such posts have generally been frowned upon with Twins Daily.  If anyone comes and does "drive by posting" intended to just irk people, that poster tends to go down the respect meter in the community a ton.  At least you came back and attempted to explain your irrational dislike, but it's still confusing why you'd start a thread with a drive-by post.  I will never understand the enjoyment of the DH rule, but you won't see me starting threads on it with a simple "the DH sucks" and walk away.  The discussion gets framed when someone intentionally intends to provoke response.  There aren't typically going to be well-thought-out posts following that sort of beginning to a thread, hence why I tried to steer the conversation into something more interesting and with some sort of depth rather than having it simply turn into a flame war.

That said, it's pretty clear what the intent was, and I'll bow out of further responses to troll-like behavior on this thread now that I've said my piece.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I'm just tired of watching college players stand around for 30 seconds every position before finally starting their play.  It's obnoxious.

Add in the massive talent disparity of the average college game and it turns painful.

I used to love college basketball. Not really sure what was wrong with me but at some point I came to my senses.

Speed it up and make college players push the ball (like the most entertaining college teams already do) and I'd start watching games again.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think the primary problem with the NBA is that I live in Minnesota near this fiasco of a franchise.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Add in the massive talent disparity of the average college game and it turns painful.

I used to love college basketball. Not really sure what was wrong with me but at some point I came to my senses.

Speed it up and make college players push the ball (like the most entertaining college teams already do) and I'd start watching games again.

The eternal optimist in me hopes the Gophers can get to this sooner rather than later.

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think the primary problem with the NBA is that I live in Minnesota near this fiasco of a franchise.

Thank you, David Kahn.

Already the return for Love far outpaces Garnett's return, and Garnett is an easy top-50 player of my lifetime, while Love might make the top 100...maybe.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

That's my biggest issue.

I moved from Los Angeles five years ago. I love basketball, as do most people in that city.

Now imagine moving from watching the Lakers to watching the Timberwolves. It's a pretty hard move to stomach.