Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: A Plan For Pinto

josmil pinto
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

I said this elsewhere.This is the same age that Willingham was when he switched from catcher to LF. I don't see Pinto as any less coordinated than the Hammer.Let him play some outfield in winter ball and see if he's good enough (and maybe some 1B as well).If you can give him time at C, LF, 1B and DH next year, it would be worth it and he would spell Vargas, Mauer, Suzuki and whoever our regular LF will be and get his bat in on a regular basis.

Edited by ScottyB, 25 August 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#62 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,103 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

FWIW, when Pinto was playing a lot early in the season, he had reverse platoon splits (better against right handers) and Suzuki was very good against LH pitching.Drawing up a 100 to 60 split for next year would seem like a good plan if Pinto's defense qualifies as sufficient.

#63 GoGonzoJournal

GoGonzoJournal

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

I like the idea of Pinto playing a corner outfield position. Parmelee won't stick and Buxton is probably a year away now, so it's either Jordan Schafer or Aaron Hicks, because Santana's going to get a lot of starts at short. 

#64 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I would try and find a team with two good defensive catchers that is looking to trade.I would trade Pinto for a catcher that could catch. No to Mauer or Pinto moving to LF. We need outfielders that have some range and can defend. We have too many DH's already. Arcia plays OF like a DH. Santana has no position. Pinto seems to me to not have a role on this team.I think a trade is in everyone's best interest.  

• birdwatcher and stringer bell like this

#65 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,103 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

I pretty much agree with OTwins.I would disagree with Arcia's OF defense.IMHO, Arcia has made substantial improvements in all facets.He's got a nice arm, enough range to play most small RFs and is taking better routes.He's still a work in progress (really unsure of himself close to the wall), but I've been pleasantly surprised by his progress on defense. 

• birdwatcher and Platoon like this

#66 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Drew Butera's Fastball

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

Beans (aka Pinto) seems like the perfect guy to have on your 25-man roster as a back-up catcher/bench bat and random DH guy. He hits the ball and can catch when needed. So he's not great, no big deal, he's not there for his bat. He isn't so bad that he's costing the team games, even if Glen Perkins doesn't like throwing to him.

I mean seriously, Eric Fry-cook Fryer (whose only saving grace is that he is manly and doesn't wear batting gloves) or Beans? I'll take Beans over the Fry-cook everyday.

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Mike Pelfrey is a Sasquatch

#67 Platoon

Platoon

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

I pretty much agree with OTwins.I would disagree with Arcia's OF defense.IMHO, Arcia has made substantial improvements in all facets.He's got a nice arm, enough range to play most small RFs and is taking better routes.He's still a work in progress (really unsure of himself close to the wall), but I've been pleasantly surprised by his progress on defense.

I agree, Arcia is better than advertised, there is definitely an upside there. He will never be Tori Hunter, because he will be a better hitter, and poorer fielder. BUT, he has a strong accurate arm, he plays hard, and he already goes fairly decent to his left. His most glaring weakness is going back to his right in the gap. Some of that will get better, and some of that Buxton will cure. Nothing is ever a sure thing, but trading Arcia, as some advocate would end up being an organizational mistake of epic proportions!

#68 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

Wait.Which "C word"?Scrapbooking profanity both alphabetically and with Dewey decimal system, so it's important to know.

crappy crappy crappy crappy crappy

#69 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

But we're finally in a position where we don't heve to settle for bad outfield play at 2-3 OF positions. And since it appears that the rotation is going to be the last piece to get fixed, we simply HAVE to have better outfield play in CF and LF, and if Arcia isn't an absolute beast offensively, he's an inadequate solution for RF, IMO. We gotta go outside the system and forget trying to jam all these round pegs into square holes. It's time.

#70 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

I agree, Arcia is better than advertised, there is definitely an upside there. He will never be Tori Hunter, because he will be a better hitter, and poorer fielder. BUT, he has a strong accurate arm, he plays hard, and he already goes fairly decent to his left. His most glaring weakness is going back to his right in the gap. Some of that will get better, and some of that Buxton will cure. Nothing is ever a sure thing, but trading Arcia, as some advocate would end up being an organizational mistake of epic proportions!

I agree he has improved and a year from now we could have two CF types in the OF with him.Buxton could shade towards him with Rosario/Hicks in the other corner.You probably can't rule out Santana being in that mix too.

• birdwatcher likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: josmil pinto