Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: A Plan For Pinto

josmil pinto
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Final offer - Mauer to LF, Pinto to 1B, Vargas to DH. Defensive improvement in LF, 1B, while getting around the backup catcher / DH problem.

• glunn likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#42 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,288 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

I like the idea of solving LF by putting Mauer there.I think he'd be a pretty good one.I don't mind Pinto getting some 1B time, perhaps to spell Parmelee in your situation, though I still think Pinto should be catching. 

• glunn likes this

#43 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

I wouldn't advocate Pinto to DH, Mauer to LF, Vargas to 1B full time, but I think it is perfectly acceptable for 50 games a season or whatever, until/unless we get a better LF option.

Yeah, I buy that for sure. Still hoping for an overpay for Pinto this winter.

#44 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

Mauer has A LOT of work to do to become an average first baseman. He is not even close to a plus defensively. With his arm he may have a better chance of being better defensively in the OF than he ever will be at 1B.

I would use Pinto as a C/DH, Vargas as a DH/1B and Mauer as a 1B/OF. Suzuki is likely to revert back to his mean and shouldn't be catching as much as he has. Eric Fryer is a AAAA option at best.

• LaBombo and Physics Guy like this

#45 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Has Pinto ever played 1B?

#46 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Has Pinto ever played 1B?

14 games way back in 2006

• LaBombo likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#47 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

Which would be easier, or which would Pinto be less of a liability, LF or 1B?Or is that hard to determine?

#48 James Richter

James Richter

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

A big reason why the Twins have been so terrible the past 4 seasons is that their bench and AAA depth has been sub-replacement level. Starters get hurt, and even when healthy need regular days off. Even assuming he plays every game for the remainder of the season, Mauer will have averaged just 123 games played over the past 6 seasons. It is not a smart bet that his durability will significantly improve as he gets deeper into his 30's. It is also not a smart bet that Suzuki will be a productive player for more than 100 starts behind the plate. Remember what happened to Parmelee after his terrific 1st month of MLB experience when he came straight up from AA? That could happen to Vargas, too.

Between C & DH there should be at least 90 starts available for Pinto in 2015, and he'd be a great PH option in the other games when they bring the LOOGY in to face Arcia. Next year's team is better with him on it.

• birdwatcher, LaBombo and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#49 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

Mauer has A LOT of work to do to become an average first baseman. He is not even close to a plus defensively. With his arm he may have a better chance of being better defensively in the OF than he ever will be at 1B.

I would use Pinto as a C/DH, Vargas as a DH/1B and Mauer as a 1B/OF. Suzuki is likely to revert back to his mean and shouldn't be catching as much as he has. Eric Fryer is a AAAA option at best.

Can you elaborate on that? He makes ALL of the routine plays. As I pointed out before he has the best fielding % in all of baseball for 1st basemen. I have seen him stretched out making nice plays. His throws to 2nd have been great and his height makes him a great target. He is easily at least average defensively so I will disregard that comment. Where is he lacking in your opinion that is keeping him from being considered elite?

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#50 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

I like the idea of solving LF by putting Mauer there.I think he'd be a pretty good one.I don't mind Pinto getting some 1B time, perhaps to spell Parmelee in your situation, though I still think Pinto should be catching. 

Agreed. Athletic and good arm.The Twins will laugh that off, then roll with Willingham, Arcia types.

#51 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Mauer was rather rough at first base for a while.I think he had to adjust to the instincts of the position - I saw him many times go after ground balls that he needs to let the 2nd baseman get, among other things.He's been much better recently.

I do think it's kind of a waste to keep an athlete of Mauer's caliber at first base.

#52 Eagle Eyes

Eagle Eyes

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

I'm not sure what games you've been watching all year, but all I've seen is Mauer making many diving plays to his left and right, scooping most every throw in the dirt, and being in the right cut-off positions all year. And he's made just one error all year! And being the good athlete that he is, he'll get nothing but better in the future. So I'd love to know what your definition of "an average defensive 1st baseman" is?!? And the Twins will NOT ask him to make another position switch, even if he might be the best athlete they could put out in left field (that has any clue with a bat in his hands.)

• birdwatcher likes this

#53 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

It is also not a smart bet that Suzuki will be a productive player for more than 100 starts behind the plate.

Yup.Dealing Pinto would drop our 2015 catcher depth to 2011 levels (with an older/worse projected MLB starter, to boot), and we all remember how that went.

• LaBombo likes this

#54 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Pinto will get some reps behind the plate as Suzucki rests, but I wouldn't put it past the Twins to even start Pinto at Rochester next season. He is the man if Suz gets injured and needs to be prepared for that role and possibly to take over behind-the-plate 3/4 time in 2016. Duz can still be traded out of his contract next year, or for sure the year after that, even as a waiver wire claim. Is Pinto ready, no. Not to be the main guy. Is anyone in the system going to be fulltime ready by 2017 or 2018...doubt that, too.

Vargas has worked himself into the DH jibm switching out with Mauer hopefully in 2016 getting reps at first. And Parmelee is still a 2015 bench/PF/1B option, so Pinto would sit and play 30% of the time.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Pinto will get some reps behind the plate as Suzucki rests, but I wouldn't put it past the Twins to even start Pinto at Rochester next season.

I actually wouldn't mind that, I suppose, if Pinto was actually playing a lot of catcher in AAA and could honestly expect to assume a good share of MLB catching duties in the near future.Does not appear to have been the case this year...

#56 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

I don't know, Winston, but my gut tells me we've just established mediocrity or much worse at three positions, which seems like the perfect recipe for another year of [bad] baseball.

Edited by glunn to replace "c" word with "bad".

I can't believe you threw down the "c" word for that. That's out of control;)It really doesn't make sense though. 

As far as Pinto goes, I don't know what I'd do with him. With where his defense is he can only be a back up catcher and bench bat. Gardy doesn't like to play him that way though. The only option is to trade him or get a new manager.

• LaBombo and jokin like this

#57 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

I've always thought that the one position begging for a Platoon is C.It's a position that mandates giving up PA's to rest anyways...

I realize finding a solid lefty catcher is difficult but they are out there.

• birdwatcher, LaBombo and Platoon like this

#58 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,602 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

The best plan for Pinto at this point is to let him just be the backup. I've seen zero from Fryer. However it seems to me like native spanish speaking catchers fall out of favor when they reach the Twins big club. Morales, Ramos, now Pinto. That's the best explanation I got.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#59 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Your pitching has died of dysentery."

• Members
  • 6,689 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Wait.Which "C word"?Scrapbooking profanity both alphabetically and with Dewey decimal system, so it's important to know.

Edited by LaBombo, 25 August 2014 - 06:36 PM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#60 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Your pitching has died of dysentery."

• Members
  • 6,689 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I've always thought that the one position begging for a Platoon is C.It's a position that mandates giving up PA's to rest anyways...

I realize finding a solid lefty catcher is difficult but they are out there.

Good point, and it doesn't need to be a conventional left/right platoon.If you have a solid 'everyday' catcher who hits right-handed, a right-handed platoon partner who mashes lefties or has a laser arm can situationally maximize the days off depending on the opponent.

At any rate, 'backup' catcher is setting at least a semantic, if not philosophical, low bar for a player who is guaranteed 40 starts right out of the gate, with injury subbing and pinch hitting probably pushing that aggregate game total north of a third of a season."Part-time starter" is a more accurate title.

• birdwatcher and SgtSchmidt11 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: josmil pinto