Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: A Plan For Pinto

josmil pinto
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Do we know Vargas can't play first? Who would be a better overall player in LF than Mauer for the next two years or so (combination hitting and fielding)?

• glunn and Winston Smith like this
Used to be mike wants wins

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Do we want Pinto cutting into Mauer/Vargas at DH?

I don't reallly see another choice (unless some injury/ineffectiveness opens up another spot for him).Bottom line is that he needs to play.Besides, those guys will need an occasional day off.Pinto can cover for them in that situation. 

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 4,882 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Mauer is a plus at 1B

I'm not sure that's true.

• savvyspy, LaBombo and Winston Smith like this

2015-Over/Under Contest winner

#24 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Kurt Suzuki in August

.238/.294/.349/.643

The guy is too old to ride him this hard.

Suzuki's PEITTH (Pitchers' Enjoyment In Thowing To Him) is 1.000.

• WLFINN and Platoon like this

#25 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Suzuki's PEITTH (Pitchers' Enjoyment In Thowing To Him) is 1.000.

He also leads the AL in RGAI, really gets after it.The NL leader is Nick Punto.

To the comment about Mauer being plus at 1B. I don't think he is right now, but this is year 1. He could eventually be at least for a few years.

• glunn, LaBombo, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#26 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

It'd be convenient if Pinto could play the outfield, but I think there's basically no chance of that happening. He doesn't move well enough to play anywhere other than 1B, C or DH.

• glunn likes this

#27 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

It'd be convenient if Pinto could play the outfield, but I think there's basically no chance of that happening. He doesn't move well enough to play anywhere other than 1B, C or DH.

I agree. I don't think the Twins view him as a viable catcher option.So I think his future here could be an emergency catcher (3rd catcher) and backup DH.Please don't snicker, this could be an actual roster spot for us.

• glunn likes this

#28 RealTwinsFan357

RealTwinsFan357

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

I think the Twins need to take a "use it or lose it" approach to Pinto. Even if he's terrible defensively, I would expect many teams to have a substantial interest in acquiring a young, cost-controlled, offensively solid catcher. I'm not really sure where he fits in on the current Twins: definitely not left field, unless we want pitchers to have ERAs north of 6 we should not even consider having Arcia and Pinto play both corners. I'm interested to see if Herrmann has figured something out, at least enough to be a better backup than Fryer. I don't see DH/1B as a good option because the Twins won't move Mauer again (whether they should or not is a different issue, but it's just not going to happen), Vargas can't play anywhere else, and if Sano has issues playing third base after his surgery, that adds a third player to the mix. Pinto has become a talented player with no room for him to play and no desire from his organization to find him playing time, so unless something changes, they might as well flip him.

• glunn, birdwatcher and ericchri like this

#29 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

According to the SABR defensive ratings Mauer is an above average 1B. Vargas has not looked good at 1B and the scouting reports agree.

• glunn, birdwatcher and Dantes929 like this

#30 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I'd find a young catcher from outside the organization who is better defensively than Suzuki and who projects to have as good or better offensive output than Suzuki's career numbers. I'd most likely take the trade route to accomplish this. Think Travis D'Arnaud of the Mets. I'd quietly put Pinto on the market this winter and look for an overpay, likely in prospects, but not accept anything less than an overpay. If I failed to trade him, I'd plan on starting the 2015 season with Suzuki and my new guy and put Suzuki out there at the trade deadline in 2015 and again look for a slight overpay. I'm assuming Suzuki has only a minor regression, and that Pinto improves just a little behind the plate, enough so that I can tolerate him as my backup at least for half a season. Longer-term, I've concluded that Pinto is not part of a future contender here.

By this time, the geniuses at TD are calling for my scalp, and the consensus view is that Ryan would be the perfect replacement for me, partly because at least he would not be constantly shooing Jack Goin out of his office.

• glunn and Cris E like this

#31 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Do we know Vargas can't play first? Who would be a better overall player in LF than Mauer for the next two years or so (combination hitting and fielding)?

We may not know, but I think the Twins certainly know he can't play an adequate 1B over the course of a season. And they can fairly easily go outside the organization for a better overall solution than Mauer for a corner OF. Hell, maybe they could find a cheap Cuban. :)

#32 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Vargas plays first, Pinto is the DH and backup catcher and Joe moves to LF. Joe certainly can play out there as well as Willy or Delmon  did.

I don't know, Winston, but my gut tells me we've just established mediocrity or much worse at three positions, which seems like the perfect recipe for another year of [bad] baseball.

Edited by glunn to replace "c" word with "bad".

• Cris E likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I admit to liking the watcher of bird's posts the last couple of days......

I have no idea if Vargas can field. I am pretty sure Mauer could play LF as well as any LFer they are likely to have on the roster next year (that can actually hit). Unless Hicks can learn to hit, and they play him in LF (which is what I would do if they don't sign a good player).

Used to be mike wants wins

#34 Jaykay

Jaykay

Proven Poster

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Kurt Suzuki in August

.238/.294/.349/.643

The guy is too old to ride him this hard.

Some of it may be them riding him too hard, but most of it is him not being nearly as good offensively as he showed in the first half. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#35 Platoon

Platoon

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

Since the question was what would "you" do with Pinto, this could be considered a moot point...... But since TR has more or less nixed 3 catchers, and RG won't DH a catcher, the part time catcher and DH idea are not gonna happen. They should but won't. And if Twins pitchers love to pitch to Kurt, they should show that love by staying out there with him past the 5th inning! Or does sitting next to him in the dugout count? Lastly, will Perkins opinion of Josmil define his entire career? That's a lot of blame for someone who did not block a slider in the dirt!

#36 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

How bad is Pinto's defense?  All I am aware of is that Perkins did not like pitching to him.  How can it be so bad that he would not be considered for a b/u spot for next year?  History has shown what too many games in one season can do to Suzuki; he is human.  If they catch him more that 100 games I think they are asking for trouble.  Keep Pinto as #2 and a RH pinch hitter.  I don't understand if it is between somebody like Friar or Hermann and Pinto, how does Pinto not get the nod?  

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#37 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm not sure that's true.

Mauer has one error on the year and has shown pretty good range helped by his size. I know a lot more is involved than just errors. Range and also number of bad throws that are scooped or flagged down enter into it. Let me rephrase though. Joe has a fielding % of .999 which is as good or better than every gold glover in the history of the award except for Youkalis in 2007. For example, last year's Gold Glove winner had 8 errors and 6 or 7 errors is common for GG winners. Mauer has one. It is the best fielding % of all 1st basemen in all of baseball that have played more than 30 games. Not bad for his 1st year.
  • glunn and birdwatcher like this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#38 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Because it is a defensive downgrade at two positions. Mauer would be a minus at LF and Vargas a minus at 1B. Mauer is a plus at 1B and Vargas is best suited to DH.

That is true, but the gains/losses from defense at 1B are pretty minor. I think the positional/roster flexibilty gains more than cancel it out if you're only doing it 60 games a season or so.

#39 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Not impressed by Escobar's glove at all this last series so am still thinking Santana will have that spot for the future but if Hicks, Rosario or Kepler don't develop I would want Santana out there for his speed and arm. Either way I would not want Mauer and Arcia out there at the same time so Mauer sticks at 1st. If Pinto is a better hitter than Vargas then DH, pinch hitter, backup catcher makes sense. If he is not a better hitter than Vargas then pinch hitter, backup catcher still makes sense. Don't we want a strong bench? I would never platoon Arcia and Pinto but a platoon of Arcia and Hicks would make sense.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 6,427 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

I don't know, Winston, but my gut tells me we've just established mediocrity or much worse at three positions, which seems like the perfect recipe for another year of crappy baseball.

I wouldn't advocate Pinto to DH, Mauer to LF, Vargas to 1B full time, but I think it is perfectly acceptable for 50 games a season or whatever, until/unless we get a better LF option.
  • birdwatcher likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: josmil pinto