Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

C'est la vie, Yohan?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,793 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Pino has been diagnosed with a strained UCL, and has been shelved for the season, per Rhett Bollinger/Dustin Morse.  I'm wondering how often this inevitably leads to TJ surgery, in which case, we may have seen our last ever appearance from Yohan Pino.  The floor is now open for discussion on a swing starter replacement in the remainder of August and September, as well as implications for Alex Meyer and his ongoing innings limitations.

Rhett Bollinger
‏@RhettBollinger
Yohan Pino was diagnosed with a minor strain in his UCL. He'll be shut down for 2-4 weeks. Likely to miss rest of the season.

Edited by jokin, 24 August 2014 - 12:37 PM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Total System Failure

• Members
  • 6,808 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Kinda hate to say this, but this injury has more implications on the Rochester post-season run than on the Twins...

Edited by Thrylos, 24 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,737 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Kinda hate to say this, but this injury has more implications on the Rochester post-season run than on the Twins...

Yup.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,319 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

I don't think the Red Wings are going to make the playoffs. They have to pass two teams to make the Wild Card. Tough to do in the last week.

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Could finally see Meyer. Gilmartin is another possibility. 

Do or do not. There is no try.

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Kris Johnson would be an easy replacement because he's on the 40-man roster. I would like to say I want Meyer to start, but at this point he should pitch in the bullpen due to his innings limit.

I'm wondering if he'll be healthy for 2015. This kinda reminds me of Deduno's injury last year. Deduno was able to play the whole season but wasn't quite as good. I'll guess that Pino might not be back.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,793 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Kris Johnson would be an easy replacement because he's on the 40-man roster. I would like to say I want Meyer to start, but at this point he should pitch in the bullpen due to his innings limit.

I'm wondering if he'll be healthy for 2015. This kinda reminds me of Deduno's injury last year. Deduno was able to play the whole season but wasn't quite as good. I'll guess that Pino might not be back.

Sadly, this is my likely conclusion, as well.  How many of these UCL injuries, even strains,  get progressively better, don't they usually get progressively worse?

And it's unfortunate, as Pino seems like a great guy, and could fit well into the Swarzak/Deduno role, plus something more, all at a rock bottom price.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#8 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

There's no use crying over spilled milk.

Pino was/is a great story. He was/is not a great pitcher. Very good yes, but not MLB servicale. I've stated that the Pino experiment should have ended long ago, but was hoping it didn't have to end with an injury. I wish the not-so-young-man success wherever he goes, but I hope if he's healthy he's not pitching for the twins next season.

nick%2Bpunto%2Bshirtless.jpg