Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Call-ups and 40-man Issues

oliveros meyer achter
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,721 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

I think Pinto and Hicks are givens, Herrmann is probable, and Colabello will come up if the Twins are feeling generous.

Pryor is a given, Meyer has a decent shot, and they probably call up Johnson or Darnell or possibly both.

I think there is a still a chance Burton and/or Duensing don't make it past September 1. If they get rid of them might open up a spot for Oliveros.

Papers...business papers.

#22 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I agree with Hicks, Pinto, Hermann, Tonkin and Oliveros. Probably Florimon just because he's on the roster and he is a better defender than anyone they have. Beresford and Bernier don't do anything that they can't do already so they are quite unlikely. Colabello is unlikely as all he would do is RH pinch hit about 5 times max. Johnson and Darnell are less likely than Pino who is probably a lock.

"Rob Antony said that generally six is the targeted number... A catcher, an infielder, an outfielder and three pitchers. My sense is they'll be closer to eight."

Edited by DJL44, 25 August 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#23 BMCACCAL

BMCACCAL

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'm curious - why Colabello?He's not in the team's plans for next year.He'll be somewhere else.

Other than that, I agree on everyone else. I also agree that Pinto, Hicks,Pryor, Oliveros and Tonkin need to see some real action for evaluation. the same should go for Romero and Mayer fio they come up.

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,500 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

The elephant in the room is top prospect Alex Meyer.He has shown obvious talent, but has been limited both for innings and pitches.I don't know if the Twins want to risk Meyer's arm so that he can throw a few meaningless innings late in 2014.

I hear this a lot from fans and from the organization but I just don't get it.Why is it OK for Meyer to "risk" pitching in meaningless games at Rochester but not at the MLB level?I'd think if there was truely any worry about his arm and his workload, everyone should want him to pitch his meaningless games getting acclimated to the MLB level, unless for some reason the MLB level is more dangerous.I don't think it is, it's not like Bill Veeck is around anymore putting up strange publicity hungry promotions like Grizzly Bear-Pitching Coach Day.

Edited by nicksaviking, 25 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

• tobi0040 likes this

#25 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I would totally buy a ticket to see that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oliveros, meyer, achter