Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Call-ups and 40-man Issues

oliveros meyer achter
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,318 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

September 1 is just over a week away and the Twins will be recalling a few players, I am sure.Basically, anyone on the 40-man roster is a candidate for recall and the Twins have two available spots on the 40-man roster.I am pretty sure that the Twins wouldn't add a player to the 40-man to recall him and then ship him off the roster at the conclusion of the season. 

Here's my take on what the team will do:Pitchers: Yohan Pino is on the roster today for the split doubleheader.He has been up and down a couple times already and I'm sure he will pitch for the Twins in September.Mike Tonkin has had a couple of brief stints with the big club and has been only okay at Rochester.I'm not sure he will be recalled.Stephen Pryor was acquired from the Mariners in the KMorales trade.He has pitched very well for the Red Wings.I think he is a lock to be recalled.Both Kris Johnson and Logan Darnell have had cameos with the Twins.With an already full rotation, I don't see any place for them, but perhaps one or both will be recalled for bullpen depth.Among non-roster pitchers, AJ Achter has put up a fine season, but has flattened out after being nearly unhittable for half a season.He probably deserves a look, but I don't think he will get the shot this September.My choice for adding a non-roster pitcher is Lester Oliveros, who is older (26), coming off TJ surgery and who has been dominant at two levels this season.The elephant in the room is top prospect Alex Meyer.He has shown obvious talent, but has been limited both for innings and pitches.I don't know if the Twins want to risk Meyer's arm so that he can throw a few meaningless innings late in 2014.

Position Players:Chris Colabello, Pedro Florimon, Chris Herrmann, Josmil Pinto, and Aaron Hicks have all spent considerable time with the Twins.The Twins will add a catcher or two--I fully expect both Pino and Herrmann to be recalled.Florimon has been given time at second and third, as well as shortstop to now be considered as a utility infielder.My opinion is, no thank you.Colabello has been decent in the minors, but after an All-Star April, he has not been able to solve major league pitching and it looks like he really doesn't figure as a bench player.It wouldn't stun me if he were recalled, but I don't think Chris is on the 40-man after the season ends.Hicks could be used in the Twins' outfield.I guess that decision depends on what the Twins think is best for the 24-year old fallen prospect.Several non-roster farmhands have had decent years.Doug Bernier got time with the Twins last year and had a good season in Rochester.James Beresford has also been very good at Rochester.I don't think either will be recalled because the Twins have a full allotment of utility guys.My best guess is that the Twins recall Herrmann and Pinto along with Hicks and don't add anyone from off the 40-man.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,566 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

Given Gardy's love for relief pitchers, I half expect Johnson, Darnell, and Tonkin to be called up. Meyer is a 40 man decision this offseason, so I suspect he gets added and called up as well once Rochester's season is over. I expect Pinto up too. Not sure on anyone else.

I think the real thread that needs to happen is on the 40 man decisions for the offseason. The Twins have a few guys who could be rule 5 casualties.

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Is there precedent for calling up a guy just to travel but not to play? (Referring to Meyer).
  • curt1965 likes this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

You always want to call up guys that will play. Otherwise, the extra expense is probably not worth it. It would be great if Achter and Meyer would get a call, but both have flattened out and WILL be added to the 40-man come November.

Here's what I would like to see by September 1.

I would like the Twin to part with Jared Burton to open up a roster spot. He's a free agent, and unless there is some under-the-table deal underway that he would pitch for the Twins again at a reduced rate of say $1.5 million or less, better to give someone else a shot. I don't want him back. (On a lesser note, I worry that Fien, who ahs market value today, might become Burton tomorrow and if he should definitely be traded).

I would welcome the Twins losing Deduno, Pino, Swarzak and Duensing on waivers, hopefully getting some low-level prospect in return. I really don't see Deduno or Pino as part of the 2015 team, and definitely not 2016. If no one wants them, they can come back as the minor league free agents they should be. The Twins have to make a decision now on Duensing and Swarzak. Are they worth longer-term contracts or higher-than-the-norm arbitration awards. If not, move them and see some other arms in September.

Under no cicumstances would I give Pedro Florimon any innings or a call up. You want Santana at short. No to Florimon. You have Escobar and Nunez on the roster already. Cut him loose. If no one wants him on the waiver wire, rest assured that you can resign him as a minor league free agent if you truly want him.

Call-ups? Darnell, Johnson, Pryor and Tonkin for sure. Yes, I would like to see Lester Oliveros added to the roster and given a September look. If you can jettison some arms already in the bullpen, I would take a look at Delois Guerra, Aaron Thompson and Mark Hamburger, in that order. All three of those guys could be designated off the roster come November.

Pinto gets the call for sure. I would almost like to see Rohlfing changed out for Herrmann. Not sure if Chris does have longterm value, now that Suzucki has been signed, and would be nice to see Rohlfing get a few at bats and a taste. He would be our Herrmann of the future. Come November, we lose Fryer from the 40-man.

We bring up Hicks and get him some licks in center or left or somewhere. I'm torn on Colabello. Just because we are nice in Minnesota, let him ride the bench, but don't see him remaining on the 40-man. I would spend more time and energy on seeing Parmelee (and maybe Vargas) at 1st base with Mauer DHing. Colabello would not be on the 40-man come November.

The other three that I would like to see over here in September are Debinson Romero, James Beresford and Doug Bernier. I'm not sure if Romero is Plouffe light. Beresford could challenge Nunez for a roster spot (or both moved off the 40-man come November). Bernier resigned with the Twins and did good numbers at Rochester and should be rewarded with some major league money and a few at bats. But he wouldn't stay on the 40-man. 

Used to be in the old days a player or two would make the September roster because they needed a little more time towards their pension plan. Or, in the case above, we want to see if some long-time minor league guys have some value before making a decision on whether to keep them in the organization.

Yes, I would like to see Rosario, Meyer, even Kepler come up and get some at bats (hell, I would bring up Kepler as the guy to sit in the dugout and see major league ball - remember, this is a kid who came from a foreign country...get him some show seats). But I also see the need to shut some players down if they haven't been outstanding and starting their clock in November rather than August 31. 

Anyone that comes up does need to play, at the expense of someone else on the roster. Our bullpen is strong, yet the guys have pitched enough that they could be rotated down for the final 30 games. We are solid in the infield, but would like to see someone, anyone, challenge Plouffe, and we need to prepare for a Mauer backup, be it off-and-on or someone who can play everyday if he goes down with one of his now many ailments.

Our outfield i s a mess. Would rather see Santana still get the licks in center with Hicks playing left and Schafer and Parmelee on the outside. That would mean more playing time in the infield for any callups. And poor Escobar, running a chance of being left at the altar after a decent hard-woned season at short. 

Again, I see no reason to give Burton any more innings if he's a free agent. I would rather have Johnson or Darnell take lumps than Pino. Deduno has an arm, but if someone wants him, Let them take him. If no one wants him, let's look at other alternatives ourselves. I'll be pissed if we cut or let walk Duensing and Swarzak, especially Duensing who ahs to have some value. 

Herrmann and Fryer out. Florimon and Colabello out. Ibarra out. Nunez and Herrmann questionable (we'll have Santana, Escobar, Palenco at short or backup next year). Pretty much all of the callups I mentioned would be out with a couple (Rohlfing, Oliveros, Romero being palcesetters for a free agent signing). 

• Cris E likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.thingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Ibarra went from being blocked by over 30 bullpen pitchers to scrap heap this season.

#6 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

I would like to see Meyer, Oliveras, Pryor, Darnell (for bullpen) Hicks and Pinto

I don't think there is that much playing time available. Need to let Nolasco and Milone keep starting but would like to see Meyer get the nerves out of the way. We need Hicks just in case Schafer or Santana gets hurt. Pinto should catch some in games versus non-contenders. Suzuki has his extension doesn't need to catch those games except if Meyer or May is starting. May throwing better tonight with Suzuki. The bullpen is starting to wear down IMHO - bring up some reinforcements

First time looking forward to September in four years.

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,318 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

Based on his numbers in Rochester, Herrmann has probably earned another trip to the Big Leagues.I don't know if the Twins want him up if they already have three catchers, but Herrmann has hit well for the Red Wings. 

Hicks has been OK, but I wouldn't say he's been "killing it" at Rochester (.263 BA w/ a .691 OPS).What is best for him is open for debate. 

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Herrmann has been mashing at AAA since his demotion.

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hermann needs to break the string of Twins hitters mashing in AAA after a demotion only to fizzle at the mlb level

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,766 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

I would feel worse about Herrmann's chances if he had hit very well in AAA and then was that bad in MLB. Since he never hit like this there, I think there might be a chance that he has gotten better. I bet the Twins had Johnson or Darnell, Tonkin, Pinto, Herrmann, and Hicks.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

Personal Opinion:

Givens: Josmil Pinto, Aaron Hicks, Logan Darnell, Kris Johnson, Michael Tonkin

Probables: Chris Colabello, Chris Herrmann, Stephen Pryor

Possibles: Pedro Florimon

Non-40-man Probables: One of James Beresford OR Doug Bernier, Lester Oliveros

Deserve a Shot: Deibinson Romero, Reynaldo Rodriguez

Probably Not (from all indications): Alex Meyer 

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,318 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

Personal Opinion:

Seth, I don't follow the minors like you do, but from what I've seen Tonkin has been OKish and I wonder if they might not send him a message that OKish isn't good enough. Also, you listed a lot of names. Wouldn't you think that since the kids and Mauer are already playing, they wouldn't bring too many position players up?

#13 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

I really want to see Oliveros and Hicks back.  Oliveros needs to be seen, and I think showing Hicks a little love would help his frame of mind.  Plus, you know, our outfield.

Pinto should come up if he's going to catch, but I don't think he should come up to sit, or to make Vargas sit.  If Pinto isn't going to catch, then I want to see Herrman catching.

I don't see any point to having Colabello take away at-bats from people who might be part of the longer-term future.

I would also like to reward Romero for soldiering on, plus I think there's some chance he might have a role to play.

Bullpen?  Other than Oliveros, pick a few and let them get some innings in.

#14 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Personal Opinion:

I am holidng out hope for Meyer, but I also doubt it. He can't match the upside of guys like Pino and Darnell, or the consistency of Milone, Nolasco, Pelfrey, etc.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#15 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Rochester is 1.5 games out of the Wild Card hunt.  Hopefully they will make it in and this would delay most of the call ups

#16 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think Twins fans will be waiting until some time in 2015 to see Alex Meyer pitching at Target Field again.

The guys that have been shuttled back and forth all season are more than likely going to be back up once Rochester's season is over.

I'm looking forward to seeing Josmil Pinto playing again, and it will be interesting to see if the Twins decide to recall Hicks for the last month or if they hold him out.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

Seth, I don't follow the minors like you do, but from what I've seen Tonkin has been OKish and I wonder if they might not send him a message that OKish isn't good enough. Also, you listed a lot of names. Wouldn't you think that since the kids and Mauer are already playing, they wouldn't bring too many position players up?

I don't think sending a message is good, but he definitely hasn't been great.

Rob Antony said that generally six is the targeted number... A catcher, an infielder, an outfielder and three pitchers. My sense is they'll be closer to eight. 

If I had to pick, Id say Hicks, Pinto, Colabello, Herrmann, Darnell, Johnson, Tonkin and Oliveros... and then one of these three Florimon, Bernier or Beresford (I prefer Beresford, but assume it would be Florimon).

#18 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,750 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Rochester is 1.5 games out of the Wild Card hunt.  Hopefully they will make it in and this would delay most of the call ups

I agree... I think they may add an arm and maybe a catcher on Sept 1, but otherwise the rest of them should just continue to play every day (or on regular pitching schedule) until they're done with the playoffs. Only makes sense.

• WLFINN likes this

#19 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

I am holidng out hope for Meyer, but I also doubt it. He can't match the upside of guys like Pino and Darnell, or the consistency of Milone, Nolasco, Pelfrey, etc.

This is getting old....

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

This is getting old....

You don't say.

Papers...business papers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oliveros, meyer, achter