Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Some Mauer numbers worth remembering/considering

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

It's interesting to note that national media articles about terrible contracts don't mention Mauer as a contender.  Cabrera's recent 10-year extension, Pujols' long deal, Prince Fielder all are much worse.  I'm glad we didn't sign Hamilton for what the Angels did.  Ooh, I know- Alex Rodriguez?  No thanks.  And those are just the position players- the pitchers have all sorts of bad deals, largely but not entirely because of injuries. 

It isn't as great a deal as we hoped back when we thought he'd be catching longer, but it's just not a horrible contract even now, compared to other long-term big money deals.  It's the price of signing a big name free agent, or keeping a big name away from free agency.  Which, by the way, is the thing we were told the Twins would do when they moved to Target Field.  They did it once, and now fans complain about it as if every other big contract worked out great.  Would people rather they had dropped $240 million on Robinson Cano for his age 32-41 years?  Seriously?

And let's remember, the Twins should still have money to spend.  Ask Ricky Nolasco's agent.  Maybe you don't like how they spend it (Mike Pelfrey...grrrr....), but they have it.  

• Stan Zbornak likes this

#22 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Why are some so obsessed with Mauer's salary?It is what it is. the anecdotal evidence seems to support his sever concussion as at least a factor in the sow start eh had this season. His recent play suggests eh may now be back to what he's always been. I hope so; we need him - very badly.

• big dog likes this

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

No, there is no concrete proof, or admission from Mauer or the Twins, that Mauer's struggles earlier this season were concussion related.

Except, of course, he had a severe concussion issue last season that sidelined him and brought about the switch to 1B. And there is a history with Twins players not named Mauer, and other players in baseball, suffering from post concussion difficulties for a time before returning to previous form...or not returning at all. And, of course, there is speculation from Joe's own grandfather, Joe's best friend, and a few vague and/or veiled references without admission from Gardenhire himself as to Mauer's struggles earlier this season and last season's concussion.

But of course, no proof of continuing post concussion symptoms that would appear to have abated themselves.

There is a decent chance that his early season struggles were concussion related, as mentioned and as you acknowledged, it's only speculation.However, I don't know that this "season-after-concussion-hangover" is league wide.From what I can tell, it is confinded to Mauer, Morneau, Span and Koskie.There may be other cases, but I don't recall any.Of course I do follow the Twins closer than other organizations.

#24 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm gonna choose not to cut down the tree that is Joe Mauer and instead water it, nurture it, hopefully watch it grow and enjoy it's shade on a hot summer day.

Even though Joe had a rough few months to start the season, it was less enjoyable to watch the games when he was on the DL. Since he has come off the DL, the games have been more enjoyable to watch even though we lose a fair share of them.

I am a tried and true pessimist, but I still have faith in Mauer.

I am trading in my glass half empty for a glass half full and sending a cheers to all of you!

• big dog likes this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#25 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

All this talk about Joe finally recovering from his concussion reads like fan fiction to me.Considering how long the effects can last, he may still not have recovered... or he may have recovered before the season started, and just had a *mediocre* (not terrible) couple of months.That happens to good players sometimes.

Until Joe says for certain that was the issue, I can't take anybody's word for it here.