Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

College Football thread

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Maxxxx Williams going pro.  That's too bad.

#162 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:59 AM

Maxxxx Williams going pro.  That's too bad.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, It'd be ok with me if the Gophs have 3 or 4 going to the NFL early every year.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#163 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, It'd be ok with me if the Gophs have 3 or 4 going to the NFL early every year.

From his perspective, there's not much else he can do in college on an individual level.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#164 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Very nice start for the Gophers.  Two picks and a key 3rd and long stop for the defense in the first three possessions and the offense is doing what Mizzou struggles with - going straight at the defense.

Contributor/Minor League Analyst for Tomahawktake.com and CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#165 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

Nice pass by Leidner!

#166 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

What a gutless way to end the first half.

#167 FattCrapps

FattCrapps

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Gonna miss that.

#168 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Jeez, cannot drop a pass like that, Edwards.  That could have been a TD.  Leidner threw a perfect pass there.

#169 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

I like Kill a lot, but he got badly out coached in this one. He told his team they were not good enough right before the half.

#170 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

I like Kill a lot, but he got badly out coached in this one. He told his team they were not good enough right before the half.

This is not an excuse whatsoever as there's no reason the Gophers could not have gotten the W today with some better decisions or different breaks (that Edwards missed pass was absolutely huge in swing of momentum), but there was a tremendously obvious difference in speed/size/skill in the two teams.  The Gophers have come a long ways in that regards, but today was a good reminder that there's a long ways to go.

#171 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

This is not an excuse whatsoever as there's no reason the Gophers could not have gotten the W today with some better decisions or different breaks (that Edwards missed pass was absolutely huge in swing of momentum), but there was a tremendously obvious difference in speed/size/skill in the two teams.  The Gophers have come a long ways in that regards, but today was a good reminder that there's a long ways to go.

If there's a tremendously obvious difference in speed/size/skill, then you're saying Kill can't recruit.

I don't buy that.  They were the underdog for a reason, but the differences in ability weren't that big.

They shot themselves in the foot some, but IMO the biggest problem was the coaching staff playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.  

#172 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

If there's a tremendously obvious difference in speed/size/skill, then you're saying Kill can't recruit.

I don't buy that.  They were the underdog for a reason, but the differences in ability weren't that big.

They shot themselves in the foot some, but IMO the biggest problem was the coaching staff playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.  

At the top end, no, there wasn't a difference, but the Gophers had one Maxx Williams.  Missouri had multiple guys coming off the bench that were as good or better than the guy they replaced, allowing them to keep guys fresh while also keeping the same level of talent on the field.  That's something Kill is building to, but it's not quite there yet.

#173 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 15,616 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

At the top end, no, there wasn't a difference, but the Gophers had one Maxx Williams.  Missouri had multiple guys coming off the bench that were as good or better than the guy they replaced, allowing them to keep guys fresh while also keeping the same level of talent on the field.  That's something Kill is building to, but it's not quite there yet.

All the more reason not to waste an offensive possession when behind, at your own 36 yard line, with a first down, 50 seconds left, and all three time outs.

If you are so badly outmatched talent wise, why waste a possession?  You need to maximize any possibility.  Play to win.

He got outcoached.  He told his team they weren't good enough.  Plain and simple.

Doesn't mean he's not the right guy, or that he can't do better in the future.

But that was gutless, and embarrassing, and IMO absolutely contributed to the loss.

#174 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,466 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I tend to agree with Chief on this one, although not quite so harshly. The message Kill sent, however unintentional was that he was satisfied with the score being that close, as if they were lucky for it to be that way.

#175 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

I don't disagree at all with the desire to go for it at the end of the half.  That part bugged me.  I'm just stating that there are other reasons as well.  I'm honestly quite happy with the Gophers season, especially in light of how the Big Ten has fared in their bowl games.  The conference may have been looked down on throughout the season, but the elite of the Big Ten is playing with and defeating the elite of other, more highly-regarded conferences this bowl season, and the Gophers finished in the top half of the conference, which says something for where Minnesota is as a program.  Yesterday's game was an unfortunate hiccup in the building, but you can't expect to run before you master walking, and the Gophers had to go back to complete redevelopment of the program to the crawling stage.

#176 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,466 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Agreed, the result doesn't change my opinion of where Kill has this program heading.

#177 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 18,324 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

Wasn't the first time Kill didn't try to score or move the ball, when you are worse than the other teams, you need to take more chances, not less, or you are just playing into the odds.

I'll reserve opinion on Kill for another year or so, but it would be nice to win more than 1 game against a legit team.....

• kab21 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?