Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Love Trade

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

With the Love trade due to be announced sometime in the next week, what are everyone's thoughts?

As of now here is the deal:

T-Wolves trade:  Kevin Love, Alexy Shved, and Luc Mbah a Moute

T-Wolves get:  Thaddeus Young, Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett.

In my opinion, Flip got quite a bit more back than I expected.  It's excellent quality and upside for spare parts and a guy that was bound to leave here.  I like it quite a bit.

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

The TWolves roster is really a weird arrangement right now.  There's really not 5 guys who are all best suited for one style of play unless you choose to do a fast-paced game and go really small.

A lot of the team's success current and future will hinge on LaVine and Bennett.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,440 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

I didn't think the Wolves had a shot at getting a decent return for Love. If the trade is as advertised, it looks like they did just that. Kudos to them.

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

I didn't think the Wolves had a shot at getting a decent return for Love. If the trade is as advertised, it looks like they did just that. Kudos to them.

Exactly. They now have a bunch of desirable pieces if they choose to blow it up because they don't work together.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Contributor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#5 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Flip deserves an A+ for this trade. I liked Love, but he was gone. Wiggins is a potential stud, Young is a very solid PF and Bennett is sorta a wild card who has a ton of potential.

Good for flip.

• Danchat likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Flip deserves an A+ for this trade. I liked Love, but he was gone. Wiggins is a potential stud, Young is a very solid PF and Bennett is sorta a wild card who has a ton of potential.

Good for flip.

For seemingly being over the barrel by Love's trade demands, Flip should get a huge amount of credit for the return in this deal.  He did give up Shved as well, so the Timberwolves will face competition this season for the whitest team in the NBA.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

It's the best of a bad situation.Kind of like the complete opposite of the Johan trade.

The important thing is that the Wolves took the best talent and will worry about where to play people later.A sure way to lose a trade is to focus on needs.The Wolves are bad and almost certainly not a playoff contender (in the west).It's much better to have talent in that case. 

The trade looks particularly good since Philly gifted them Young in their pursuit of tanking.I'm not a big fan of Bennett's potential but he could be solid. 

It will be interesting to see if there is any wheeling and dealing before the season opens.There are a lot of players and only so many minutes to go around.Holy crap there are a lot of mediocre veterans on this team.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

So what combinations of players can work for the Wolves since they have to jettison several players before the season starts.

Can Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Young, Pekovic work together?Is Pekovic a big clodder that just doesn't work despite being a really good player or is it something else (like the backcourt).Can the Wolves mix other youngsters like Dieng, Robinson or Bennett into this somehow?Are any of the veterans (Martin, Barea, Brewer, Budinger) decent fits even if they aren't longterm pieces?Or are most of these getting sent elsewhere?

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Pekovic does well passing for a post guy, so he could work well with guys who cut well to the hoop.  Of the vets, Martin actually fits with this group best in playing style, but having Barea around with Rubio's injury history would be very wise.  Bennett runs extremely well for a 4, so I could see some instances where they pull Pekovic for him, go small, and run the opposition to exhaustion, but the rest of Bennet's skillset is very raw.  I like the gambles on the roster that could either blow up huge or burn out fast, letting the decision be pretty easy where they go from here with these guys.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

I think Pek/Young and Bennett/Dieng make nice front-court combinations.  Wiggins/Levine/Brewer/Martin should be able to man the wings.  That leaves Rubio and Williams at point.  

I think the roster should work out ok - it'll be an interesting and entertaining group.

#11 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Glen Taylor is a moron.

• biggentleben and FattCrapps like this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Glen Taylor is a moron.

But at least it seems like Flip can "control" him some.  Kahn was basically a puppet, and as we saw with McHale, if Taylor likes the person, no amount of poor performance will dissuade him from that loyalty.  Loyalty can be a good thing, as long as it betters your team, not inhibits it.

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

I'm talking about his public comments about Love.He has to take the high road and not say anything or just mention some general BS about how what he did for the org.

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm talking about his public comments about Love.He has to take the high road and not say anything or just mention some general BS about how what he did for the org.

Well, yeah, but there are few owners who sound smart when they talk about the teams they own.

#15 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

So what combinations of players can work for the Wolves since they have to jettison several players before the season starts.

Can Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Young, Pekovic work together?Is Pekovic a big clodder that just doesn't work despite being a really good player or is it something else (like the backcourt).Can the Wolves mix other youngsters like Dieng, Robinson or Bennett into this somehow?Are any of the veterans (Martin, Barea, Brewer, Budinger) decent fits even if they aren't longterm pieces?Or are most of these getting sent elsewhere?

I doubt Lavine gets many minutes at first. He's too raw to throw to the proverbial Wolves right now. My two cents is you want a healthy split of the SG/SF minutes between Wiggins, Martin and Brewer with Wiggins and Brewer emphasizing a defensive lineup , Martin and Wiggins giving you better offense and Martin and Brewer working when you want Wiggins to sit and learn. You want Dieng to steal some of Pekovic's minutes to hopefully keep Pek healthy and because Dieng has a chance to be the great interior defender the team hasn't had since Garnett left town. With that said, you still need Pek around to score because the last T-Wolves team that was this weak offensively was coached by Bill Mussleman.

Outside of that, you have guys like Bennett and Budinger trying to play their way into the rotation. Mo Williams gets the backup PG minutes with Lavine getting the scraps at PG and SG. You have to get rid of Barea to open up a roster spot for the Little Big Dog though, and I'm not opposed to that thought.

• kab21 likes this

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Even with Bledsoe (if they get him) the TWolves can't make the playoffs but as a fan I applaud them for not outright tanking even if it means that they get stuck in the back half of the lottery.It will be interesting to see what they would have to give up.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

That is an interesting step - hard not to see it as a "no confidence" vote in Rubio.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

It turns out that there was no real substance to the rumors.The TWolves would need to do a sign and trade and they have nothing substantial to trade.Lavine, Rubio or future picks is about it.Other than that it's Wiggins (not going anywhere) or a pile of salary dumps. 

I think it was nothing more than a negotiating ploy with Rubio to get him to lower his demands for an extension.It also puts them on the map with Bledsoe next offseason.

the suns are certainly in a pickle with Bledsoe.I think bridges have been burned.

#19 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

Kind of an interesting preseason so far, where Little Big Dog has looked pretty solid, Budinger healthy, Bennett improved and Lavine like he's going to spend an awful lot of time in the D-League.

#20 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Kind of an interesting preseason so far, where Little Big Dog has looked pretty solid, Budinger healthy, Bennett improved and Lavine like he's going to spend an awful lot of time in the D-League.

Should be interesting to see who the final cut will be.Still rumblings that Budinger will be moved, but even at his salary I'd like to see how he can contribute now that he is finally healthy.

If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.