Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Sickels: Twins Top 20 Prospects in Review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,933 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Minor League Ball's John Sickels reviewed how his Top 20 Twins prospects have fared in 2014. 

Pretty interesting look.

#2 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

It is pretty interesting but nothing new for the typical TD reader.It is a mixed bag of results.:)

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

This one really jumps out:

19) Stephen Gonsalves, LHP, Grade C+: Stock is up, could be in top 10 now.

While it's a bit disconcerting that Sickels seems more concerned about Stewart's shoulder than the average Twins fan, if Sickels proves correct, and Gonsalves turns out to be the real deal, the Twins would still have 4 high-upside guys in their Top 10 going into next year:  Meyer, Thorpe, Berrios and now, Gonsalves.  A gutsy call on draft day by the Twins could turn out to be the steal of last year's draft.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#4 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

it looks like some of the lower level prospects had greater success than top prospects this year. If\when the top prospects shake off the injuries things are looking up for this team. Also there is a lot of depth beyond the top 20.  Guys with potential to be very good MLB players. Hopefully next year we graduate several of our top prospects to the Majors and keep the farm stocked.

#5 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

This one really jumps out:

While it's a bit disconcerting that Sickels seems more concerned about Stewart's shoulder than the average Twins fan, if Sickels proves correct, and Gonsalves turns out to be the real deal, the Twins would still have 4 high-upside guys in their Top 10 going into next year:  Meyer, Thorpe, Berrios and now, Gonsalves.  A gutsy call on draft day by the Twins could turn out to be the steal of last year's draft.

I saw this comment by Sickels, too. While I like Gosalves a lot, the thing is, in order for him to crack he Top 10, someone has to come off that list and there aren't many guys I woud drop. Sano and Meyer (and maybe even Buxton) could have graduated from prospect status this offseason and make room for guys like Gonsalves and a couple others. But none of the Top 10 graduate (unless perhaps Pinto would).

It's going to be tough for guys to move up in the rankings simply because few lose their prospect status and, fortunately, few top guys are having disappointing seasons that warrant significant drops.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

Always fun to read Sickels.On that list, I think May, Pinto, Santana and Vargas will meet rookie minimums and be off of it for next season.Gordon and Burdi are locks to be added. Guys like Hu will be added.Still a strong system although health was a bit issue this year.

#7 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

I don't really see it with Gonsalves - he's a solid enough prospect, but pitchers with good command have a big advantage against undisciplined hitters in the low minors. I'm not sure he has the stuff to keep it up at higher levels.

Twins fans certainly should be concerned over Stewart's shoulder. Pitchers get hurt constantly. It's not like some kind of improbable event.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.