Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sliding into First

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 biscuit

biscuit

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I have always been under the impression that sliding is done to avoid a tag, avoid overrunning a base, or break up a throw.  Knowing little about the physics of motion, I still think that sliding slows the runner down.  Yet, on several occasions I have seen Twins runners sliding into first base: tag not required, overrunning first is OK, and generally the runner does not need to break up a throw from first. Today, Brian Dozier slud into first and was out on a very close call.  The play could have been crucial to the game; fortunately, it was not.  The thing is, if he had run through the bag, he likely would have been safe.  After seeing that today, I'm having nightmares of Punto.  It isn't hustle; it's stupid.

• Paul Pleiss likes this

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:45 PM

I have always been under the impression that sliding is done to avoid a tag, avoid overrunning a base, or break up a throw.  Knowing little about the physics of motion, I still think that sliding slows the runner down.  Yet, on several occasions I have seen Twins runners sliding into first base: tag not required, overrunning first is OK, and generally the runner does not need to break up a throw from first. Today, Brian Dozier slud into first and was out on a very close call.  The play could have been crucial to the game; fortunately, it was not.  The thing is, if he had run through the bag, he likely would have been safe.  After seeing that today, I'm having nightmares of Punto.  It isn't hustle; it's stupid.

I feel your pain. The runner doesn't get there any faster or slower, but you almost never see an umpire rule the guy safe. I think it's probably a combination of reasons why guys do it, but mostly just reflex. Here's Eric Byrnes making the final out of the 2007 NLCS. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

sliding slows you down. It's physics. The instant you stop propelling yoursel forward wit strides you begin to lose speed. Gravity and friction work against you and youg get there slower. Run through first. Little Nick Punto (get money, get paid) is the MVP of my heart, but sliding into first is so dumb.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,142 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

If only there was a role called "coach" allowed in MLB, they could actually coach the players on how to do their job better......

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?