Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Injuries Have Hurt Prospects' Development

byron buxton miguel sano kohl stewart alex meyer jose berrios
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,990 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Also, this kind of analysis does little without a comparison to all the other teams. It is possible that there are fan bases of 20 other teams that think their team is snake bit.

I don't really think there is much/any analysis in the article. It's updating on many of the injuries in the system throughout the year, pointing out there have been a lot. If anyone wants to compare to other organizations, that's fine. The point is that several Twins minor leaguers have missed time due to injuries at some point during the season, or recently enough that it still is noteworthy.

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

I think this is basically correct. Buxton especially. 

The Twins not necessarily not the unluckiest, and that is not the claim you are making. I think the top 3 minor league prospects all suffered some sort of horrid injury of late. So other teams are set back too. But if someone actually did some groundwork I'd bet we'd find the Twins were in the unluckiest 10 or 20 percent though. 

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#23 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

I've been reading a few old books, mostly interviews of great pitchers as I am putting together historic rosters for a PS3 game called MLB 14:The Show and so I am researching all the pitch types - what did Addie Joss through? What did Herb Score & Sam McDowell throw? How about Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax? Bill James & Roby Neyer's Guide to Pitchers has been incredible helpful - an interesting book/read if you want to know who had the best particular pitch over historical periods and all-time. 

All that to say, my research and study has led to many interviews where pitchers pretty much said they had 'this pitch' or 'that pitch' and the like...'from God' or 'the baseball Gods' or 'I was just meant to pitch'. And it would seem to fall in line with the number of injuries. Some just are blessed with the physical body to be a pitcher - arguably the hardest action on any professional athlete. 

The other thing I noticed was that most pitchers didn't throw a curveball or their screwballs or any thing with heavy wrist action but maybe 5-15 pitches a game. It was mostly a 'hop ball' (rising FB) or a 'heavy fastball' (sinker) or a what we know today as a cut fastball as well as lots of changeups to palmballs. We also saw a LOT of knuckleball pitchers. The curveballs, sliders, screwballs, etc were mostly used 'only as needed' type of scenarios - up until Sandy Koufax and Bert Blyleven types. JR Richard and others would throw slider, slider, slider, fastball, slider, slider, fastball, slider, slider....done at age 30. 

Then the 80's we see Roger Craig and others put a greater emphasis on splitters and forkballs and sliders and so forth. There were mostly rotator cuff injuries before, but not, the elbow injuries are becoming more and more prominent (more so than shoulder injuries even). 

That said - baseball is becoming a pitcher's game. How many arms will teams need though? Will a MLB team need 20-25 pitchers per year to get through a season, as injuries would take their toll each year with the idea of having to have pitchers with great sliders, curves, etc. (heavy wrist action pitches)

The trick, I guess, would be if we run out of arms - e.g. not enough pitchers to meet that 20-25 pitchers per club needed?

Versus having a team of 12-16 pitchers who have command, offspeed, cutters, fastballs, and another non heavy wrist action types of pitchers?

Does the former (heavy wrist action pitchers) have enough supply and provide lower ERA (or opponent run production) than the latter? Most likely. So it's probably not good for individual pitchers, but would still be advantageous as it gets a better result in the box score. 

Buster Olney wrote this article (sorry, it's Insider) that kind of goes along the same lines as the thought I had based on my research so far. In having 'specialty' pitchers who well, are amazing, but fade out faster - he mentions Johnny Venters, a lights out left-hander for the Braves - who was arguably overused. He's asking for MLB to make rules to limit the use and warmup of relief pitchers. They'll come and go often and quickly - only a few physical marvels, Mariano Rivera, etc will survive most likely. They'll be the equivalent of the NFL running back, which has the shortest career length of all players.

http://insider.espn....ey/post?id=7904

But pitching has really affected this game. Strikeouts are at all all-time high, batting averages are getting back to pre-mound change/Bob Gibson levels (1969 it changed).

I definitely don't want the steroid use back - but would like to see Batting averages back up. I suppose Sabermetrics has also influenced hitters to go for the 2B/HR/SO result as it has more value/less risk than choking up with 2 strikes and making contact (single not as valuable) and the risk of a double play.

Then there's shifts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, miguel sano, kohl stewart, alex meyer, jose berrios