Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

OK GM's, your LF addition for 2015 is...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Trade Trevor May, A.B. Walker, and Jason Wheeler to the Padres for RHSP Andrew Cashner.

I'd try and make a play for LF 'er Starling Marte of the Pirates......(they have McCuthcen, Polanco, Snider among others)  Maybe somthing like   Brian Duensing, Josmil Pinto and Trevor May or Tyler Duffey could suffice.

Why would those teams want those guys?Maybe May is enough but I doubt it.  I think you would have to give up a Buxton, Meyer, Berrios, Sano for those guys.

#42 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Why would those teams want those guys?Maybe May is enough but I doubt it.  I think you would have to give up a Buxton, Meyer, Berrios, Sano for those guys.

You might be able to swing it for players with high upside/low floor's like Lewis Thorpe or Eddie Rosario.Not just one but multiple guys.Not that I think it would happen.

But I agree, low upside/MLB serviceable-but-not-important pieces won't work.

#43 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

My guess is Shane Victorino is going to get dumped with the Red Sox picking up salary. I'd take him for a year.

#44 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

I think your LF is Chris Parmelee with Plouffe potentially sliding in there if he continues to improve and Sano is pushing him at 3rd. I suspect the Twins are more likely to sign a 1 year CF than an LF this offseason.

Out of the whole thread I think this is the most likely response.  Parm in LF, Santana in CF, Arcia in RF with Schaefer as your 4th and if Hicks continue to play well in AAA as a possible bench bat or starting CF.  If and when Buxton is ready you can slide Hicks to LF and Parm to the bench.

There are too many suggestions of just sliding random guys to the OF like there's no learning curve.  IE Mauer, Plouffe, Sano, Pinto, etc.

• Cris E and THE DFC like this

#45 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Parm in LF, Santana in CF, Arcia in RF with Schaefer as your 4th and if Hicks continue to play well in AAA as a possible bench bat or starting CF.

So the plan is another 90 losses and swelling the Pohlad bank accounts? This team has $40MM in payroll space for 2015. Buy a real LF.

• mike wants wins, Mr. Brooks and DocBauer like this

#46 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Out of the whole thread I think this is the most likely response.  Parm in LF, Santana in CF, Arcia in RF with Schaefer as your 4th and if Hicks continue to play well in AAA as a possible bench bat or starting CF.  If and when Buxton is ready you can slide Hicks to LF and Parm to the bench.

There are too many suggestions of just sliding random guys to the OF like there's no learning curve.  IE Mauer, Plouffe, Sano, Pinto, etc.

I don't think it's ideal to slide guys out there, but there's a long history of it in the organization, for better or worse.  I don't think Plouffe is totally random because he's been there before and will basically be Cuddyer 2.0 in some respects (RH power bat prospect struggling early in career, moved around infield as terrible defender, starts to learn defense later).  Mauer is definitely more random, but it's sure tempting to make room in the lineup for him, Vargas, Pinto, and Suzuki all at the same time (OF, 1B, DH, and C, respectively), though I'll admit it's probably like a 1% chance of happening.

I agree that Pinto and Sano are at 0% chance.  Pinto in LF would be worse than Bartlett in LF or Parms in CF.  That's saying something.

The darkhorse that I had been pulling for was Vargas's countryman, Ortiz, but it seems that his contact problems are haunting him pretty badly in AAA.  His line seems to be Walker-esque right now, so he's gotta be a super long shot now, even with improvement in spring.

I bet it's Hicks/Santana for CF/LF, at least to start.

#47 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

So the plan is another 90 losses and swelling the Pohlad bank accounts? This team has $40MM in payroll space for 2015. Buy a real LF.

Who are you buying?  What realistic 1-2 year LF are you going to buy that's going to put up much better numbers than Parmalee/Hicks in LF?  There will be no long term game changers in free agency this year, and after the outside chance of taking a shot at Tomas, who are they going to bring in?  With Buxton, Arcia, Rosario and Hicks all in the minors right now it's not reasonable to overpay an OF like Melky on a 4-5 year deal.

• Cris E and Oldgoat_MN like this

#48 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

What would it hurt to sign a guy that will actually play in the majors next year, and be good at it? I fail to see how that is an issue for this collection of talent.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#49 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

What would it hurt to sign a guy that will actually play in the majors next year, and be good at it? I fail to see how that is an issue for this collection of talent.

I'll ask again, who are you buying? Who are you bringing in?  Realistic players who they could bring in.  We have seen the list that should be available after the season.

#50 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Melky Cabrera is realistic for this budget. Tomas is realistic for this budget.

Nothing is unrealistic about either, unless you accept that the Twins should continue to pocket money, and not improve the team.

Or, how about trading the future that might not ever come (remember when people didn't want to deal Hicks for Cliff Lee?), and trade for guys? If you have the deepest system EVAR, you can actually trade some guys to get better.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#51 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Would it kill to put Mauer in LF, I really think he could handle it, and it would solve a lot of issues with the Twins roster.I give him a decent shot of being pretty good at it too.Obviously only if he could actually do it well.

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 22 August 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#52 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Well, they would have to nicely ask Joe first.....

• SgtSchmidt11 likes this

#53 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Well, they would have to nicely ask Joe first.....

Of course.It's an idea and probably a bad one, but it's a talking point.

#54 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Basically it would put the roster at:

C: Suzuki

1B:Vargas? Plouffe? Sano?Options here anyways.

2B: Dozier

SS: Escobar

3B: Plouffe or Sano

LF: Mauer

CF: Santana

RF: Arcia

Then again I really want Santana at short...

#55 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Melky Cabrera is realistic for this budget. Tomas is realistic for this budget.

Nothing is unrealistic about either, unless you accept that the Twins should continue to pocket money, and not improve the team.

Or, how about trading the future that might not ever come (remember when people didn't want to deal Hicks for Cliff Lee?), and trade for guys? If you have the deepest system EVAR, you can actually trade some guys to get better.

Melky coming off successful season, in which he made $8M btw, will be the cream of the crop for your corner OF being FA's next season.  He turned 30 earlier this month.  Are the Twins going to offer him a 4-5 year contract worth upwards of $10M a season to bring him in?  

I would be all for taking a seriously look at Tomas, but he is a guy with no ML experience and after what we saw the Sox dish out for a Cuban OF today, what's his price tag going to be? 

Who do you want to trade? Buxton? Sano? I understand that people want to win, but the lack of patience and the "what have you done for me lately" attitude is just mind boggling to me.

BTW, you do know what Cliff Lee's contract has been over the last 4 years or so right?  While his career could be over very soon, Hick's place as a starter might not even be here yet.  Going forward who do you want, 36 year old Cliff Lee or 25 year old Aaron Hicks?

#56 BMCACCAL

BMCACCAL

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Ethier for Nolasco would be a great move for the Twins, but the Dodgers will keep Eithier through this year since their outfield starters are fragile and they have a realistic WS shot. Might be worth looking at Scott Van Slyke.He's a RH hitter, can play CF in a pinch, although is better in LF, and is hitting .258/374/.497 (.871 OPS) in spot duty with 9 HRs in 163 at bats.He just turned 28 and should be cost controlled for the next 3-4 years. Might be able to get him and a prospect for Nolasco. Would open up another SP spot and maybe get us the RH hitter we need.

Speaking of the LA teams, the Angels desperately need a starting pitcher NOW with Richards going down.Nolasco would be good bait for them, assuming you can or already have gotten him through waivers. JB Shuck hit .293/.331/.366 playing full time last year (although he isn't much of an outfielder) and Collin Cowgill is hitting.274/.351/.393 in 200 at-bats this year. They just picked up Gordon Beckham (lord knows why) from the White Sox  and have Grant Green coming off the DL so they're overstocked and may need to make a move. Maybe get one or those two and a prospect.

Overall, I like the idea of moving Nolasco for an OF.He's probably worth more now than in the off season. 

#57 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

I would be all for taking a seriously look at Tomas, but he is a guy with no ML experience and after what we saw the Sox dish out for a Cuban OF today, what's his price tag going to be?

I really think that's going to bite the Sox in the kiester.I keep seeing these Cuban players sign for big money, one of them has to fail pretty soon.There can't really be a market inefficiency there for much longer...

#58 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

I really think that's going to bite the Sox in the kiester.I keep seeing these Cuban players sign for big money, one of them has to fail pretty soon.There can't really be a market inefficiency there for much longer...

Rumors on the contract will pay him a pro-rated salary this year, 500K or so, and is heavily back loaded ending in 2020 the year he will turn 33.  So basically a 6-year deal worth $72M.  With it being heavily loaded, you could assume that as much as $35M would be coming in the last 2 seasons.  Imagine trying to move that contract if he flops or even is just an average major league player.

#59 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

Rumors on the contract will pay him a pro-rated salary this year, 500K or so, and is heavily back loaded ending in 2020 the year he will turn 33.  So basically a 6-year deal worth $72M.  With it being heavily loaded, you could assume that as much as $35M would be coming in the last 2 seasons.  Imagine trying to move that contract if he flops or even is just an average major league player.

Pretty much.It would be a great deal if this was football!

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

The Sox are back-loading a contract? That makes... no sense whatsoever. If anything, they should be trying to front-load a contract because they're a looooooong way from contention.

Honestly, they should be blowing up the team and starting over but that's another discussion entirely.