Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

OK GM's, your LF addition for 2015 is...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,517 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

But Seriously, if I'm the Twins i re-sign Dozier long term now, that he will be a little cheaper, i Trade Trevor May, A.B. Walker, and Jason Wheeler to the Padres for RHSP Andrew Cashner.

I'd try and make a play for LF 'er Starling Marte of the Pirates......(they have McCuthcen, Polanco, Snider among others)  Maybe somthing like   Brian Duensing, Josmil Pinto and Trevor May or Tyler Duffey could suffice.

In more seriousness, Marte starts with Meyer or Berrios, includes Rosario and probably one other piece (Thorpe or Polanco?).

• gunnarthor likes this
Papers...business papers.

#22 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Miguel Sano

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,110 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Melky Cabrera, Aaron Hicks at backup. Or maybe sign the Cuban, Thomas. I am baffled people are mentioning Cuddeyer, he cannot field, stay healthy, or hit.
  • Cris E likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

The only players listed here that are difference makers are not going to be moved for the players listed, Duffey, May, Duensing, etc.

I guess I am in favor of rolling with what we have instead of bringing in veterans that are a slight upgrade.if we want to make a huge splash I would welcome that.

Ideally the last two years would have been about seeing what we have.....but we brought in too many veterans and have kept Meyer down.

#25 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Melky Cabrera, 3 years, $13M per with a clause that pays $1M if traded

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,192 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Getting Melky would be quite a haul. Outside of him, there aren't many interesting names out there.

#27 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Tomas baby

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#28 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

If the Twins make an offer to Melky, I would be happy. He's really the only FA that should be a starting LF

Edit: or yes, sign Yasmani Tomas or be that mystery team that swoops in on Rusney Castillo.

Edited by Kirby_waved_at_me, 21 August 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#29 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I like trading Ricky Nolasco for Andre Ethier. The Dodgers are loaded in the outfield but their pitching staff will have holes. Ricky wants to be a Dodger anyway.

#30 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

I like trading Ricky Nolasco for Andre Ethier. The Dodgers are loaded in the outfield but their pitching staff will have holes. Ricky wants to be a Dodger anyway.

Well I like it too, but, the problems is, would the Dodgers like it? I know, they gave us something for Drew, but their generosity may have a limit..

• birdwatcher likes this

#31 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

I say, let's get on with the future or at least the near future.Let Plouffe move out there in spring training so he has time to adjust.It would be reasonable to expect Sano to be up at some point in the season so why not let Plouffe have a good adjustment period.He's athletic enough to be an improvement over Willingham in left and he probably will continue to improve, at least a little, with the bat.You could platoon with Parms against really tough right handers.3rd base could D. Romero for a few months, or go pirahna with Escobar at 3rd and Santana at short.

#32 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

I am still going to go with Cuddyer or Hunter.I think I prefer Hunter slightly over Cuddyer on a 1 year deal.Cuddyer would probably get a 2 year deal.I would be ok with a platoon player like Gomes as we do have in house options that play too Parmelee, Nunez, Escobar, Hicks (if Santana is in CF) and Schaefer.that can be adequate where Cuddyer and Hunter is a slight upgrade and more entertaining.

#33 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

We would likely have to throw in Pelfrey.

• USAFChief, Cris E, TheDean and 1 other like this

#34 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

I say put Mauer out there. Need to audition Vargas, Collabello or Parmalee at first base and see which one of those sticks there. That or move Plouffe there once Sano is on the scene. If not Mauer to left field, then move Arcia to left and Mauer to right. Mauer is a good enough athlete that he would be able to play left or right field. Get's him moving his legs more Mauer

out there and running more. Joe has length and good enough wheels that he can cover a decent amount of ground, now it is just teaching him the nuances of judging the ball off the bat. It's not like Joe hasn't ever been out there.

Edited by jaimedude2, 21 August 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#35 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

We should actually only look at guys that can play the outfield at a major league level. We've had enough troglodytes playing out there. Actual guys that can field would make the pitching better as well.

Nolasco for Ethier isn't a bad deal. Nolasco at best is mediocre and Ethier at his best is very good. Cost us a few more bucks but the possible upside could likely be worth that.

Edited by Winston Smith, 21 August 2014 - 09:46 AM.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#36 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,517 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

I actually think Nolasco for a Dodgers OF is realistic. Works for both teams, would need to work out money and perhaps a second tier prospect that might need to be included.

Papers...business papers.

#37 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

I do think the Twins should be on the Cuban defectors more heavily than they are.  Tomas would be a nice start.  

• adjacent likes this

#38 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Miguel Sano

I'm not totally sure if you are serious or not, but I'm willing to discuss this for a second. 

Why not?

If Kennys Vargas has shown us anything, it's that if you are young, even if you have a larger build, you can probably still move pretty well. Sano is smaller than Vargas (not that I would play Vargas in LF). I promise you that if Sano played LF for the next 3 years, he wouldn't be any worse at it than Willingham has for the last 3.

After that? Well, that's a while from now and a lot of things could change, but Mauer's contract will be up, so that opens up 1B/DH, and who knows, he might be half way decent at it. 

#39 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

The only remotely intriguing FA's are Torii and Ichiro. Neither should play every day anymore, though Hunter probably can. There may be some trade options. They should gladly take a bloated contract if that's what it takes.

#40 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,796 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

I think your LF is Chris Parmelee with Plouffe potentially sliding in there if he continues to improve and Sano is pushing him at 3rd. I suspect the Twins are more likely to sign a 1 year CF than an LF this offseason.
  • Cris E likes this