Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

OK GM's, your LF addition for 2015 is...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that LF is the one spot where we can make a nice to big impact for 2015's lineup with no blocking of imminent young talent.

The Twins can make a fair to major trade for said player, but doubt this is the time to want to part with upcoming young talent. The other option, and the on I expect, is the FA route. Could be someone with a year or two left, or someone younger, with a larger expense involved in regard to dollars and terms. I originally felt said signee should definitely be a RH hitter to replace Willingham, who basically replaced Cuddyer. But with unexpected power from Dozier, potential power from Vargas when he hits RH, Pinto as well, and some from Plouffe until the RH Sano is ready, I'm not sure we need to be restricted to RHers alone.

Markakis has been mentioned lately in threads, (Thrylos or Leviathan?), and I've been mulling this as an option. I believe there is an option tied to him for 2015, but I don't know if it is player or team controlled.

He's only 30, and sports a career slash line of .301/ .380/ .411/ .770 coming in to this season. He's averaged 36 doubles and 16 homers per year to go along with an average of 76 RBI. Twice he has exceeded 100 RBI, once hit 87. Could he be an ideal option to fill this hole if available?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Has Markakis done anything to alienate himself from Orioles fans? I think the Twins should stay in house and even try a Plouffe or someone else outside the box. For better or worse, Schafer has made a couple of pretty good catches out in left tonight.

#3 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Schafer is not a long term option, more like a 4th outfielder(for which he is almost a perfect fit).  Thought outfield crop is very thin this year, so may be more like a trade choice.

• Cris E likes this

#4 USAFChief

USAFChief

Gomer

• Twins Mods
  • 7,903 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

Yup...not much to chose from among FA outfielders this winter.

Go Twins!

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Yea, depending on Sano, I would take a hard look at Plouffe in LF, or Rosario or Hicks.  I would go in-house in other words.

• jorgenswest likes this

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to sticking Pinto in Left, provided he hits enough.

• Cris E likes this

#7 freshinthehouse

freshinthehouse

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

I'd have no problem giving Torii Hunter a 1 year deal.

BYTO R.I.P.

#8 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Y'arrrgh matey!

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:39 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to sticking Pinto in Left, provided he hits enough.

Pinto would make Willingham look like a gold glove caliber CF. Not an option.

I think the Twins have enough options in house for corner OF guys.

#9 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Well that is Simple, if Rox decline his option for 2015 , Well MICHAEL CUDDYER !!!!!  <3 :-)

no but seriously a 2 year 18.0 MM pact would be nice throw in 500 K +  in incentives, we all know Cuddy will probably see 60% of the season actually on the field but it is OK.

• Twins Twerp likes this

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+) 2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. Chih-Wei-Hu (SP-A+)  8. Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Nick Burdi (RP-A) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+)   Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, P Jake Reed, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#10 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

But Seriously, if I'm the Twins i re-sign Dozier long term now, that he will be a little cheaper, i Trade Trevor May, A.B. Walker, and Jason Wheeler to the Padres for RHSP Andrew Cashner.

I'd try and make a play for LF 'er Starling Marte of the Pirates......(they have McCuthcen, Polanco, Snider among others)    Maybe somthing like     Brian Duensing, Josmil Pinto and Trevor May or Tyler Duffey could suffice.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+) 2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. Chih-Wei-Hu (SP-A+)  8. Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Nick Burdi (RP-A) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+)   Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, P Jake Reed, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#11 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

I think another interesting option would be trading for Andre Ethier.  He's having a down year (and maybe this will be his new norm) but he has been a good hitter in the recent past.  The Dodgers might kick in some cash to cover some of his salary.  I wouldn't be surprised if he could be gotten cheaply.  His offensive upside is interesting to me, if he came at a reasonable price and there was some money coming back the Twins way.

I also like the idea of looking for out field help from a team that is overflowing with talent and is looking to move some of it.

• birdwatcher likes this

#12 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

With Ethier there are about 74 million reasons and 4 yearsof  why not to trade for him.It would be a bad deal long term

• Cris E and Paul Pleiss like this

#13 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 776 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

There are a few large contracts with one year remaining,  Victorino, Upton, and Rios. Will Venable if San Diego thinks that 4 mill is a large contract. Minimal prospects might be all it would  possibly take in return for taking on the contract. Something like Pryor, Gilmartin or Adams for example might be enough.

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

But Seriously, if I'm the Twins i re-sign Dozier long term now, that he will be a little cheaper, i Trade Trevor May, A.B. Walker, and Jason Wheeler to the Padres for RHSP Andrew Cashner.

I'd try and make a play for LF 'er Starling Marte of the Pirates......(they have McCuthcen, Polanco, Snider among others)    Maybe somthing like     Brian Duensing, Josmil Pinto and Trevor May or Tyler Duffey could suffice.

Well yeah, I would assume that the Twins (or any other sane person) would do that deal in a second, but what is in it for the Padres?

• gunnarthor likes this

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

It's nice to see the Duensing rule alive and well in these offers.
  • birdwatcher, Cris E, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#16 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

If you can trade Trevor May in two separate deals, I'm in!!!

#17 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

Free Agents:

Melky Cabrera!

maybe Chris Denorfia?

no Jonny Gomes, no Delmon.

Trade:

Try to get Justin Upton by offering to take B.J. Upton too...

possibly affordable via trade:

Corey Dickerson from Colorado?

Christian Yelich from Miami?

not likely worth what we'd have to give up, or just too expensive:

Starling Marte from the Pirates?

Brett Gardner from the Yankees?

in a dreamworld, Michael Brantley

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#18 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Free Agents:

Melky Cabrera!

maybe Chris Denorfia?

no Jonny Gomes, no Delmon.

Trade:

Try to get Justin Upton by offering to take B.J. Upton too...

possibly affordable via trade:

Corey Dickerson from Colorado?

Christian Yelich from Miami?

not likely worth what we'd have to give up, or just too expensive:

Starling Marte from the Pirates?

Brett Gardner from the Yankees?

in a dreamworld, Michael Brantley

Michael Brantley is exactly the guy I wouldn't want.  He would cost way to much, and has only one year of track service at this pace.  This could just be a Brady Anderson year.

• Cris E likes this

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's nice to see the Duensing rule alive and well in these offers.

I was nervous when the first trade didn't include him, but nailed it in the second offer. And Walker too

And Trevor May is so good he can be traded to two teams. Who wouldn't jump at him after his performance so far.

• birdwatcher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#20 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Michael Brantley is exactly the guy I wouldn't want.  He would cost way to much, and has only one year of track service at this pace.  This could just be a Brady Anderson year.

Yes,he's in the too expensive category, also not worth what it would take to acquire.

But he'd be a significant upgrade over Parmelee/Nuñez/etc. in left.

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

In more seriousness, Marte starts with Meyer or Berrios, includes Rosario and probably one other piece (Thorpe or Polanco?).

• gunnarthor likes this
Papers...business papers.

#22 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Miguel Sano

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Melky Cabrera, Aaron Hicks at backup. Or maybe sign the Cuban, Thomas. I am baffled people are mentioning Cuddeyer, he cannot field, stay healthy, or hit.
  • Cris E likes this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

The only players listed here that are difference makers are not going to be moved for the players listed, Duffey, May, Duensing, etc.

I guess I am in favor of rolling with what we have instead of bringing in veterans that are a slight upgrade.  if we want to make a huge splash I would welcome that.

Ideally the last two years would have been about seeing what we have.....but we brought in too many veterans and have kept Meyer down.

#25 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Melky Cabrera, 3 years, $13M per with a clause that pays $1M if traded

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,162 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Getting Melky would be quite a haul. Outside of him, there aren't many interesting names out there.

#27 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Tomas baby

#28 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

If the Twins make an offer to Melky, I would be happy. He's really the only FA that should be a starting LF

Edit: or yes, sign Yasmani Tomas or be that mystery team that swoops in on Rusney Castillo.

Edited by Kirby_waved_at_me, 21 August 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#29 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I like trading Ricky Nolasco for Andre Ethier. The Dodgers are loaded in the outfield but their pitching staff will have holes. Ricky wants to be a Dodger anyway.

#30 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

I like trading Ricky Nolasco for Andre Ethier. The Dodgers are loaded in the outfield but their pitching staff will have holes. Ricky wants to be a Dodger anyway.

Well I like it too, but, the problems is, would the Dodgers like it? I know, they gave us something for Drew, but their generosity may have a limit..

• birdwatcher likes this