Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Would you trade Twins Target field for better team in Oakland A's or Tampa Bay Rays?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

• Members
  • 5,206 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Off topic, but as a parent now, I'm not sure I get the Target Field love as much.  The speakers above the upper deck are way too loud, I almost feel like I have to cover my toddler's ears between innings.  Sneaking down to better seats is almost a necessity just to escape speaker noise.

And while I prefer to focus on baseball, it's nice to have some kid-friendly distractions available somewhere for these 3+ hour games, at the very least so parents can trade off with the kid while with a larger group of friends or family.  And Target Field seems pretty devoid of kid-friendly features in the ballpark.  The thing my kid remembers most is the light rail trains outside the park.

Kaufman Stadium in KC was pretty sweet in this regard, there's a free museum and a whole freakin' playground out behind the outfield.  Midway Stadium for the Saints is obviously awesome too, with real trains going by and the ushers and mid-inning entertainment.

• Paul Pleiss likes this

#22 Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 4,504 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I agree with the speaker noise. In 2010 I made the mistake of sitting up high in section 329 and was just blasted by a speaker the whole game.

Even worse is Target Center. Crazy loud racket, nonstop. And there's no place to really escape it.

#23 Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

I definitely miss the cost of tickets at a dumpy old stadium.

But I generally am able to get a good deal on Ticket King or the other guys' resale site (to remain nameless).

I think it is not unreasonable to have both a good team and an awesome venue to soak in the wins.

2010 was just a fantastic year to be a Twins fan, can't wait to feel those feels again.

#24 Shack L Ford

Shack L Ford

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

Of course not! I love my Twins just the way they are. Winning is overrated anyways.
  • Paul Pleiss likes this

#25 ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

I never minded much about the dome, honestly, except for the seats not quite pointing straight out onto the baseball field because they were aligned to sort of point at midfield for the football setup.Not living in the cities it was really nice knowing that if I made plans to go to the game I would get to go to the game.Target Field is beautiful, though, ignoring cost I do prefer watching games there to the Dome.Unless you could guarantee me the Twins would be a playoff team permanently I certainly wouldn't trade back for the Dome.We'll get out of this skid eventually.

#26 diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've watched 3 Twins games at the cell. I don't mind it. The real problem with that stadium is the location and WhiteSox fans.

#27 iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Target Field's great seats, nice ammenities and overall quality will outlast the current competitive streaks that the Rays and A's are on. Even the best run teams have down years. There's no harm (only frustration) in waiting for the Twins to be competitive AT Target Field. It's coming. I'll enjoy our nice park while I wait.

In short: no deal.

Edited by iTwins, 22 August 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#28 laloesch

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

My brother used to live in Chicago, and told me about reports of bullet holes in the seats while it was being built, coming from across the freeway.

That said, I loved loved LOVED old Comiskey. Went to a few games there.

One time we waded our way through the 5,000 fans or so and watched Carlton Fisk hit a mammoth 3 run homer to win the game in the bottom of the 9th, right in the front row. If you never went there, the first row or 2 at Comiskey were actually below field level, so your head has at ground level. 

That is perhaps my most magnificent baseball memory ever, giant future HOFer hits game winning homer and it filled my entire field of vision.

I have not seen Target Field yet.My extended family still lives in the Twin Cities and I hope to make it up their next year.That said,I spent a great deal of my youth in Chicago (8 years) and sat in Old Comiskey as well as Cellular One.Comiskey had character but it was an absolute dump.Literally falling apart, kinda like Wrigley was.Plus the south side is downright scary.Still is in fact.Why ownership decided to build their again just baffles me.  

Cellular One was built cheap too.Not only is the construction quality questionable, the final product was bare bones, sterile, bland in character.   It's very utilitarian if you ask me.Not a horrible place to see a game just boring.

The last 10 years though I've lived in Washington DC, Nashville, Buffalo and Charlotte.My folks live in Cincinnati, Ohio.I've had the opportunity to see Great America Ball Park, Jacobs Field, Camden Yards, Nationals Stadium, and JFK Stadium (where the Nats used to play). 

Of all those venues I like Great America Ball Park is the best.Camden yards is a very close second, though.Great America Ball Park has a fantastic view of the Ohio River and it is surrounded by bars, restaurants, new condos, etc.Very very nice.Camden Yards is a close second, as it is the model HOK stadium that everyone is copying nowdays.That said, I'm not crazy about the surrounding neighborhoods (which are bad) and Baltimore in general. 

Nationals Stadium is a much nicer version of Cellular one.Only problem, the designers messed up and have the stadium turned the wrong direction away from the Potomac so you look at the Navy Yard.  Area around it though is going through intense redevelopment (used to be very bad neighborhood).

Jacobs Field is okay, but not one of my favorites.  

#29 SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

When they put target center in the warehouse district, the bars were already on the north east side, and there was warehouses and the garbage incinerator on the west side. When they built TF they tore down the warehouses to make room for TF, but the garbage incinerator is still there. At least TF and TC were built adjacent to existing good neighborhoods.

Just so you know it's actually a power plant, most technically a solid waste power plant.

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 22 August 2014 - 11:30 AM.