Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/19): Stewart Pulled As a Precaution

kohl stewart engelb vielma mat batts brett lee levi michael
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

A good farm system as mentioned here does NOT translate automatically to a good MLB team in a few years, time for a lot of us to put aside the rose-colored glasses. And time to get realistic about exactly how management intends to cobble together a decent team in the years to come. Commenters in this forum are far too easy on Twins management both in the front office and on the field. And we are even easier on ownership who promised to spend more on the on-field product and have not even come remotely close to delivering on that promise.

We must not read the same comments. I haven't seen much evidence of commenters being "far too easy" on management.

I bet if you polled people here, 9 of 10 would want Gardy gone by next year, if not immediately. Probably 8 of 10 would predict a change. About half would probably express a desire for a change in GM and, even among those who wouldn't argue for a change, there's no shortage of comments critical of Terry Ryan's decisions. 

I would agree that there's more balance in comments concerning management than you'd see in Strib comment sections, for example, but I don't think that's bad.

Comments in the minor league section tend to be less critical of Ryan than those in the major league board, probably because Ryan has done a better job of restocking the minor league organization than he has of putting a competitive team together at Target Field.

The money thing and the Pohlads gets plenty of mention, I think, during the offseason when the roster is being assembled for the following year. Once the roster is set, however, the payroll issue is kind of moot. I also think it's natural for payroll to drop during a rebuild, especially a rebuild being overseen by Terry Ryan. It's quite possible that Jim Pohlad would be fine with spending more money to be competitive, but that's just not how Ryan builds a team.

EDIT: I would also add that the relative lack of organization bashing you see among comments at TD is in part due to the moderators having this pesky rule about keeping comments on topic and thus preventing every article/post from turning in to a "fire everyone" bashing.

Edited by SD Buhr, 20 August 2014 - 12:45 PM.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,273 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

EDIT: I would also add that the relative lack of organization bashing you see among comments at TD is in part due to the moderators having this pesky rule about keeping comments on topic and thus preventing every article/post from turning in to a "fire everyone" bashing.

Moderator's note: Yep.I'd add that bashing, as such, usually violates respectful dialog, so that might be why you don't see much. Disrespect and trolling/threadjacking are the two most important taboos highlighted in the TD Comment Policy.OTOH intelligent and constructive criticism of the team, even when highly pointed, has never been grounds for moderator action.

Any thread stands to be subjected to somebody wanting to look at things from a "higher level" or other forms of topic drift, and a certain amount of it makes for lively discussion.But a write-up of a day's minor league results doesn't need to become a referendum on the state of the Twins franchise, because that could be repeated every day.I think that point has been reached now; if someone wants to continue the high-level discussion of the Twins organization, please start a new thread.

Half of everything you know will be wrong in 10 years; but which half?

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

My point has always been that accumulating prospects is important because so few pan out as hoped.

In other words, let's say you've got 10 prospects that are really highly touted. That likely means that maybe 1 will become an All Star type. Hopefully two will become every day regulars. Hopefully 3 of them can become role players, and then you know 3-4 of them will fizzle before the big leagues... And that's before factoring in the injury factor which is pretty much completely unpredictable. 

I have never seen anything like this though.

A while back, I remember looking at every prospect that the Twins had ranked in the top 100 since Ryan became GM.  20% busted - guys like Joe Benson, Matt Moses, Adam Johnson, JD Durbin.  But most of them became useful everyday players - ie, solid starters - and about 20% became all stars - guys like Guzman, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddy, Hunter.  

The other interesting thing was that, of the busts, most of them were ranked high by reputation (like Johnson or Moses who were both high picks).  Only a few, like Benson, worked their way onto the list by putting up good numbers in the minors but couldn't make the move to the majors.  

And the last thing to remember is that, while some top prospects won't pan out, some non-prospects will emerge.  These guys were never top 100 prospects - Radke, Santana, Mays, Baker, Koskie, Dougie Baseball, AJ Pierzinski, Jacque Jones, Duensing, Dozier.  Maybe Danny Santana gets added to that list next year.

• jokin, SD Buhr and Sweetwater like this

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

A while back, I remember looking at every prospect that the Twins had ranked in the top 100 since Ryan became GM.  20% busted - guys like Joe Benson, Matt Moses, Adam Johnson, JD Durbin.  But most of them became useful everyday players - ie, solid starters - and about 20% became all stars - guys like Guzman, Mauer, Morneau, Cuddy, Hunter.  

The other interesting thing was that, of the busts, most of them were ranked high by reputation (like Johnson or Moses who were both high picks).  Only a few, like Benson, worked their way onto the list by putting up good numbers in the minors but couldn't make the move to the majors.  

And the last thing to remember is that, while some top prospects won't pan out, some non-prospects will emerge.  These guys were never top 100 prospects - Radke, Santana, Mays, Baker, Koskie, Dougie Baseball, AJ Pierzinski, Jacque Jones, Duensing, Dozier.  

Maybe Danny Santana gets added to that list next year.

It really becomes a game-changer if Santana proves to be more than just a flash in the pan and continues his hitting prowess, even at a more sustainable level in 2015, and just as importantly, proves acceptably competent at SS-  which is why I think it behooves the Twins to give him the bulk of the starts at the position in September and finally get some consistent big league reps. 

Edited by jokin, 20 August 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Levi Michael has really reemerged as a prospect. Obviously we have SSS in AA but he's not struggling there and his bb/k numbers have been great all year. He could turn into a decent on-base utility type guy for a MI. Nice to see.

Of course, most of that improvement so far was a BABIP spike in his 3rd season repeating high-A, at an above league average age too. Seems to be off to a good BABIP start at AA, though.

Could Michael be another Beresford?

Is he considered a legit defender at SS/2B?

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,590 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Of course, most of that improvement so far was a BABIP spike in his 3rd season repeating high-A, at an above league average age too. Seems to be off to a good BABIP start at AA, though.

Could Michael be another Beresford?

Is he considered a legit defender at SS/2B?

As a former #1 pick, I hope he can end up being a little more than Beresford.

Edited by jokin, 20 August 2014 - 06:30 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohl stewart, engelb vielma, mat batts, brett lee, levi michael