Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Promote Josmil Pinto?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

In case people haven't noticed, Josmil Pinto has been raking in AAA.  In 43 games, he's hitting .300/.405/.525 (.930 OPS).  More importantly, after displaying impressive excellent plate discipline to go along with solid pop in AA a year ago, Pinto has improved in both of those areas despite playing against tougher competition: his BB% has ticked up from 14.1% to 14.2%, while his strikeout rate has dropped from 15.7% to 13.7% (causing his BB:K ratio to increase from .90 to 1.04) and his ISO has increased dramatically from .174 to .225. 

Not only is this solid improvement, but he's been flat-out spectacular in AAA.  Consider this: in 47 games in AAA, Pinto has more walks (27) and almost as many extra-base hits (23) as he does strikeouts (26).  I don't know what to say about that other than it's really impressive.  Combine this with the fact that Pinto was solid offensively in his time with the Twins (107 wRC+ despite a .245 BABIP) and I don't think it can be denied that Pinto is more than ready offensively for the major leagues.  

The question of course, then comes down to whether or not he is ready to play catcher every day.  His defensive struggles were a major reason why he was sent down to AAA (maybe the main reason) and so he will have to prove that he can handle the position before he is promoted.  Let's hope he's nearly there.

Edited by Boone, 19 August 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

September 1 or very soon after we will gather a little more evidence.

• birdwatcher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#3 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

The question of course, then comes down to whether or not he is ready to play catcher every day.  His defensive struggles were a major reason why he was sent down to AAA (maybe the main reason) and so he will have to prove that he can handle the position before he is promoted.  Let's hope he's nearly there.

Imwould say the only reason. He raked up in the show as well. But defense was not even passable.

#4 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

After seing unimpressive plays by Fryer las night, and considering that Suzuki calls a good game but is less than great throwing runners, when you put everything in the balance, why not Pinto?

• gil4, ericchri, Danchat and 3 others like this

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Believe the Twins leave Pinto in Rochester until the end of the season, then he will be up here and us fans will get a better idea of what the Twins think of him. Do not see where he would play as Vargas will get the majority of the DH ABs and you would have to catch him 3 times a week to have him play 4 times a week.

#6 Craig in MN

Craig in MN

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I want to see him up to, but I think the Twins are basically done with him at catcher.He will get called up in September, and they will give him every chance to show them some reason for hope.But he'll be 26 by opening day year next year.If a guy isn't a passable catcher by 26, I don't like his odds of becoming one.Even if he does become passable in a year or two years, he will do so in a backup role, and then he'll probably start to break down soon, and his defense is likely to start to suffer again.His bat looks like it will be good enough to play somewhere every day soon.It just doesn't seem like "Pinto at Catcher for the Twins" is a fit.

If Pinto doesn't show some defensive improvement fast, I wonder if the Twins should try to see if he could make the move to the outfield.There most obvious hole for the Twins next year is a corner OF.It might be a stretch for him out there too, but the Twins have played plenty of poor outfielders in the past few years. 

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Should never have been sent down, imo.
  • jorgenswest, Thrylos, ericchri and 4 others like this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#8 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

His offensive skills are not the reason he was sent down. It was his defensive skills. He needs to not be a liability behind the plate. While neither Pinto nor Suzuki were gunning down runners early in the season, at least Suzuki wasn't consistantly throwing the ball away allowing runners to advance an extra base. It was more pronounced considering he was only behind the plate once a week.

The DH posittion is currently filled, so unless he is going to play a corner outfield position, he will be sitting on the bench a lot at the major league level.

#9 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'd say he's up with the rest of the September promotions, and he may see a good bit of time behind the plate during that last month. I certainly wouldn't take plate appearances away from Vargas just to get Pinto in the lineup (So, no DH, unless the Twins want to rest Mauer frequently towards the end of the year).

His bat was never really the question, but it's still nice to see that he's still an offensive threat while in AAA. If he can round out his defense, he's got a role on this club. As a pure DH? I'm not so sure.

• birdwatcher likes this

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'm guessing Sept 1.. but like others said, his offense wasn't the reason he was sent down. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#11 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm guessing Sept 1..

... and if Rochester is in the playoffs, it will be even later.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,798 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

he's got a role on this club. As a pure DH? I'm not so sure.

What role then? Backup C? RH bench bat?

• Cast of Thousands likes this

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,105 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

... and if Rochester is in the playoffs, it will be even later.

totally makes sense that the minor league playoffs are more important than seeing what he can do at the MLB level.....

• jokin and Sconnie like this

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

totally makes sense that the minor league playoffs are more important than seeing what he can do at the MLB level.....

Affiliates!

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

At the risk of being wrong, I don't think the Twins will keep Pinto down past August 31. They will call up a third catcher (like every team does) and it makes sense to actually call up a guy who they want to see play. They will call up another arm and probably Hicks as well.

The other depth guys - Colabello, Herrmann, another arm or two, will wait until after the season is over.

I also think better than 50/50 that Meyer comes up to pitch in the pen.

Papers...business papers.

#16 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I like him more as a hitter than Vargas, at least for now and probably next year. Offense is hard to come by these days, which should give Pinto value even if he isn't the everyday catcher. I'm sure there are teams that would be happy to take him off the Twins hands, if they have no use for him.

#17 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

26 or 27 was about when Willingham moved from catcher to LF.If they don't like him as a catcher, I would have him try the OF in winter ball this year.I can't imagine that he could be much worse defensively than the Hammer was.If nothing else, the versitility would increase his value as trade bait - I'd even play him at 1B as well.

• gil4 and Tibs like this

#18 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

If he can play ok defense at catcher, he is much more valuable. It is worth nesting next season towards continued development of his catching. I advocate for this role.

-One start a series at catcher.
-One start a week at DH against a lefty (sit Joe).

It would require a manager with the following attributes.

-Willingness to play him at DH once a week while carrying two catchers
-Understanding that he needs to be paired with a pitcher that has better command than Deduno.

He will determine the rest by his play. If he hits well, he earns more DH time. If his defense improves, he gets more time behind the plate.

The 2014 time in AAA only pays off if he plays catcher. He didn't go there to improve his bat. Following 2015, his play at catcher will determine his future role in the majors. Catchers are so difficult to find. They need to give him every opportunity to find success there.

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,114 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

Pinto did OK hitting for the Twins this spring. However, his OPS for April was .902, May only .600 and (SSS) June only .412.So, after April he wasn't very good.The sporadic use of him as a catcher made things even worse, because he struggled defensively.I thought it was time for him to be optioned when it happened and still think that was the right call.Suzuki has had a banner year and deserves to be the regular catcher.The return to health of Arcia and Willingham and the addition of Kendrys and then Kennys made it all but impossible for Pinto to get at-bats when not catching. 

He's the best hitter at Rochester and his approach to hitting should make him a fine major league hitter, but he has to be a better receiver than he showed this spring. 

I have been in Pinto's camp since he was in Double A.I think the problems with his catching are fixable.I wonder if a recall could be a showcasing effort to perhaps net something for him, if the Twins don't feel like he is a fit with their organization any more.

• birdwatcher likes this

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

He wasn't known to be such an abomination behind the plate in the minors. Not good, but certainly passable. The Twins can rotate Mauer, Vargas, and Pinto a little bit to give Pinto DH time and he can start behind the play some too.

Suzuki is a question mark next year as well.