Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Royals, 8/17 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

rhinophant

• Members
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

At first I thought it was an inspired move to bat Arcia behind Vargas, in that Vargas would pick up the charisma and skill of Vargas and feel a little sheepish if he didn't crush the ball too. Doesn't seem to be working out, but maybe yet?

Did it just work? That may also have been the reason to put Vargas behind Mauer...

We want a little more of that sort of stuff to get back in the game.

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 14,958 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

It was time to trade the 'Hammer, but I'll miss him.

He put one in the third deck, but not one ounce of showboating.  He followed the flight of the ball briefly off the bat, realized immediately it was gone,  put his head down, and started a fast trot.  Not even a glance at where it landed.

Professional.  Respectful.  

• ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn, glunn and 3 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#43 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

I have my eye on you ...

• Twins Mods
  • 14,121 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

It was time to trade the 'Hammer, but I'll miss him.

He put one in the third deck, but not one ounce of showboating.  He followed the flight of the ball briefly off the bat, realized immediately it was gone,  put his head down, and started a fast trot.  Not even a glance at where it landed.

Professional.  Respectful.  

That's where 'veteran presence' can lead by example.  Then again, it likely has nothing to do with 'veteran,' just who the guy is.

• USAFChief, glunn and Circus Boy like this

#44 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 12,227 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

I never believed Mauer was experiencing lingering concussion effects, and I still don't. I think if anyone in the clubhouse saw any evidence of this, they'd immediately try to help/DL him. I think he just got into a slump and had some bad luck, and now he's recovering from it.

I don't believe concussions are necessarily that cut-and-dried.I'm sure you're right that he was no danger to himself, otherwise he would never be out there on the field.But a nanosecond lag in reaction time may be the difference between "average major leaguer" and "Joe Mauer" (or Ted Williams, or other players with legendary plate discipline), and I don't think it's silly to speculate that the synapses weren't yet firing at their previous high level.

I've never questioned Mauer's toughness or drive to excel, so I'm looking for a better explanation of what I believe I saw in his eyes that first game back, than either randomness on my part or newly re-found determination on Joe's part. 

But I don't rule out the randomness explanation either. :)

We'll never know, until Joe writes his book, and probably not even then.

I'm not sure of the timing, with the weather delay and all, but it appears that Joe hit his HR today after my post.So far, so good, as far as me jinxing him goes.Knocking on wood again.

• USAFChief and glunn like this

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased, shared memory corrupted, reboot.