Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Royals, 8/17 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hey... Willingham and Escobar both just scored on a two run single... That's a good thing right?
  • ashburyjohn and Circus Boy like this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,991 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

This inning is not going well for Milone.

#23 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Spahn and Sain...
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#24 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 13,666 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Geez ... leave for a few minutes and it's 6-1!it's amazing how fast things change. 

#25 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Uncle.

#26 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

The first inning started so well...

#27 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 972 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

The first inning started so well...

Ah, we all remember that first inning so well. It was sweet.

Meantime, I've been thinking: Are the Twins a bad team? And my answer to myself is, no. They are an incomplete team. And we have too many days like today. But on the whole, I'm excited about this club and its potential. Man, if we can just get consistent starting pitching, that would be the difference in a dozen games and it would be us -- and not the KCRoyals -- in the hunt.

Sigh!!!!! (Mr. RB sez this is the preferred number of exclamations in the stylebook.)

• glunn and jokin like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#28 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Geez ... leave for a few minutes and it's 6-1!it's amazing how fast things change. 

I like your photo. Very cool.

#29 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

I like your photo. Very cool.

Heh, that's me ... age 3? 4?And while you can't really see it, that's a Twin's sweatshirt I'm wearing ... 1965 AL Champs.

• JB_Iowa, ScrapTheNickname and Circus Boy like this

#30 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Ah, we all remember that first inning so well. It was sweet.

Meantime, I've been thinking: Are the Twins a bad team? And my answer to myself is, no. They are an incomplete team. And we have too many days like today. But on the whole, I'm excited about this club and its potential. Man, if we can just get consistent starting pitching, that would be the difference in a dozen games and it would be us -- and not the KCRoyals -- in the hunt.

Sigh!!!!! (Mr. RB sez this is the preferred number of exclamations in the stylebook.)

Consistent with your post, Mauer has been looking good lately.

• Circus Boy likes this

#31 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Pour.

• Circus Boy likes this

Dressed in black, tossin' back a shot of rye.

#32 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Circus Boy likes this

Dressed in black, tossin' back a shot of rye.

#33 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 972 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say so much in so little space.

• snepp and GCTF like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,803 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Consistent with your post, Mauer has been looking good lately.

I haven't wanted to say anything, for fear of jinxing him, but I have to, now that it's been a few days and he's OPSing almost 1.000 (not counting the partial game today).I've only watched one plate appearance by him since he's been back, the one where he drove in the game winner the other day, but when watching him, he looked... different.I decided it was because there was no more of the winky-blinky stuff that I had grown accustomed to seeing from him.He just stood there at the plate and was looking at the pitcher, waiting for the pitch.He also made a really good play at first base to save an errant throw.I'm going way out on a limb here, but I've been saying up to now that he was still feeling symptoms from the concussion, and I'm saying he's now better. Knocking on wood, throwing salt over the shoulder, and all that, but I'm saying it.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

If you didn't get caught, did you really do it?

#35 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

I haven't wanted to say anything, for fear of jinxing him, but I have to, now that it's been a few days and he's OPSing almost 1.000 (not counting the partial game today).I've only watched one plate appearance by him since he's been back, the one where he drove in the game winner the other day, but when watching him, he looked... different.I decided it was because there was no more of the winky-blinky stuff that I had grown accustomed to seeing from him.He just stood there at the plate and was looking at the pitcher, waiting for the pitch.He also made a really good play at first base to save an errant throw.I'm going way out on a limb here, but I've been saying up to now that he was still feeling symptoms from the concussion, and I'm saying he's now better. Knocking on wood, throwing salt over the shoulder, and all that, but I'm saying it.

I had that same thought. That whatever was 'plaguing' his mind was now clear. As you said, he looks ... different. Concussion? Uncertainty of a new position? Best bud gone? Don't know what, or maybe a combination of everything, but he looks ... MUCH better.

#36 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Apparently the rain delay didn't help the Twins pitching.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#37 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

I had that same thought. That whatever was 'plaguing' his mind was now clear. As you said, he looks ... different. Concussion? Uncertainty of a new position? Best bud gone? Don't know what, or maybe a combination of everything, but he looks ... MUCH better.

I don't want to jinx him either but whatever happened, God Bless Him.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 14,481 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm incredibly encouraged by Vargas.  I know it's early, but to me he looks like the best hitter the Twins have brought up in quite some time.  I like him better than Arcia, for sure.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, snepp, Willihammer and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#39 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'm incredibly encouraged by Vargas.  I know it's early, but to me he looks like the best hitter the Twins have brought up in quite some time.  I like him better than Arcia, for sure.

At first I thought it was an inspired move to bat Arcia behind Vargas, in that Vargas would pick up the charisma and skill of Vargas and feel a little sheepish if he didn't crush the ball too. Doesn't seem to be working out, but maybe yet?

#40 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

I never believed Mauer was experiencing lingering concussion effects, and I still don't. I think if anyone in the clubhouse saw any evidence of this, they'd immediately try to help/DL him. I think he just got into a slump and had some bad luck, and now he's recovering from it.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this