Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Cedar Rapids Staff

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 THE DFC

THE DFC

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Wow. Can we just keep this group together as a unit lurking toward the majors like the Death Star?

Name - Age - ERA - K/9 - WHIP

Kohl Stewart - 19 - 2.42 - 6.5 - 1.109
Chih-Wei Hu - 20 - 2.54 - 7.8 - 0.974
Stephen Gonsalves - 20 - 1.57 - 8.2 - 0.953
Lewis Thorpe - 18 - 3.34 - 11.0 - 1.13 (removing his first 2 starts)

Throw in Fernando Romero, who looked good before hitting the DL, and that's ridiculous.

I know they're young and everyone outside of Stewart hasn't done more than a half season at A- ball, but considering how prospects like Ryan Eades have performed and that all 4 are essentially performing equal or better than Berrios did last year, I'd love to see all of these guys get a shot to start in A+ ball next year and round out that rotation.

I haven't seen any of these guys in person, but it's my understanding that all 4 have major league rotation stuff, correct?

#2 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:33 PM

It's great to see! The Twins depth of pitching is growing to the point where this time next year we might be know as a pitching heavy system. The problem with focusing on pitching for the past 3 drafts is you start running out of starting spots. Even if AA down went with 6 man pitching rotations there are still going to be a lack of starting spots available, Cedar Rapids in particular is going to have have a number of guys deserving of a sport coming up from rookie ball and a high number of guys returning from injury.  I'd guess Thrope returns to the midwest league and only Stewart is a given to move up to high A next year, leaving Gonsalves and Hu to prove there ready for the promotion during instructional and spring training.