Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Thome's 600th home run

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Three years ago today, Jim Thome hit his 600th career home run. If I remember correctly, he also hit his 599th earlier in the game? If I also recall, he crushed them to the bullpen in left centerfield, right? Anyway, THIS PICTURE from twitter is great. (Cuddyer, Morneau, Mauer and Revere included)

I think I appreciated what the Twins had in Thome when he was here, but probably not enough. What a great power hitter, one of the best all time!

• Monkeypaws and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Nice pic.It might be a classic if not for Danny Valencia lurking behind Cuddyer.

25 under 30 ™

#3 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

I believe this Sunday marks the fourth anniversary of Jim Thome's two run, walk off homer vs the White Sox. Can't seem to find Hawk Harrelson's "call" of the AB anywhere.

Dressed in black, tossin' back a shot of rye.

#4 IowaTwin

IowaTwin

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

It's not Hawk, but it is still fun to watch.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v11087783/must-c-clutch-thome-blasts-first-walkoff-at-target

Have a big picture of the home plate celebration hanging in my basement.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

I appreciated Thome too, but I would have appreciated him a lot more if the Twins had signed him back in 2003.  Imagine a 150 OPS+, 40+ HR bat added to the Twins lineup from 2003-2008...

Or even if we had swung a deal for him before 2006 -- the White Sox basically got him for 4/32 at that point, with the cash that Philly included in the deal.  We would have had to give up some talent too, but we'd have been getting back a formidable player (not like the talent we gave up 2 years later to get Delmon Young... arg).

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

I appreciated Thome too, but I would have appreciated him a lot more if the Twins had signed him back in 2003.  Imagine a 150 OPS+, 40+ HR bat added to the Twins lineup from 2003-2008...

Or even if we had swung a deal for him before 2006 -- the White Sox basically got him for 4/32 at that point, with the cash that Philly included in the deal.  We would have had to give up some talent too, but we'd have been getting back a formidable player (not like the talent we gave up 2 years later to get Delmon Young... arg).

Yeah, I think it was pretty universal that every Twins fan wanted Jim Thome basically every chance he was available.Hell, even when he wasn't available.

Fun fact:Jim Thome's second best single season OPS+ was a whopping 182.He produced that season in 2010 at the age of 39 for the Minnesota Twins.

25 under 30 ™

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

If there was ever a player that just seemed a fit for a team..............

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Total System Failure

• Members
  • 6,495 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

THIS

For me the Twins' getting Thome was like the Vikings getting Favre.Career .314/.415/.635 with 61 HRs against the Twins (including the one that cost them a post-season) does not really endear him to me...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98