Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Pinto's Future

rochester catcher trade candidate pinto
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

I've seen the Twins do the "rotating backup catcher/part-time DH" role with Doumit for the last couple years and it seems to me that having a player in that kind of role is a considerable waste of assets and roster space.It's almost certainly going to make the manager want a third catcher, and frequently some other guys who should be DHing are not so that you can fit another square peg in the lineup.

One of Gardy's main points of criticism for Pinto is his pitch-calling, which I believe is something that can improve with experience as it's a mental tool rather than a physical one. 

I like Pinto a lot, but if his ceiling as a Twin is Ryan Doumit, then I really think he should be traded.I also firmly believe that another team would give Pinto a real shot to be a starting catcher.

#22 BMCACCAL

BMCACCAL

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

This is a tough one because he might actually be able to fill one of the Twins biggest needs - a strong right handed middle of the order bat who drives in runs.Is there any chance he can play in the outfield? Could he play first or third with the incumbent playing in the outfield?How about as a DH with Vargas at1B and Mauer in the outfield?

I suspect the answer to each of these scenarios is a "no", and perhaps even a "hell no.".  If that's right, time to trade him for that middle of the order bat that can play LF or 3B or at least the high end prospect with that potential.He's not going to get enough at bats as a catcher to maximize his value.

#23 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hard to tell Pinto's future at this point, if the Twins see him only as DH/backup catcher he should be packaged and traded, if he is to be given a shot at the regular catching job the Twins should keep him.We will see what they think this winter.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 12,227 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Apropos of nothing, but... Separated at birth?

8c292381_mlbam.jpgmqdefault.jpg

As for the question of what to do with Pinto, I am so far from being able to gauge a catcher's talents that I have to go with the team's brain trust's judgement. I believe his bat is good enough to let him be ML average in RF, say, but obviously he's more of a plus if he can stick at C.Trading him comes down to whether the brass can envision him being a starter on the next winning team.I'm inclined to guess "yes".

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased, shared memory corrupted, reboot.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,374 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

I don't think comparisons to Doumit are fair. Doumit was a veteran player when the Twins acquired him. He was a better than average hitter during his first year with the club, and received regular playing time. He was the primary DH and the primary backup to a perennial All-Star. In addition, Doumit had some positional flexibility in that he played 55 games in the outfield in the two years he was with the Twins.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Total System Failure

• Members
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

a closer analysis of how the pitchers are doing when compared to being caught by Pinto, might be enlightening.

Here.

Not that it does not mean much.Chicken or egg situation. Pinto used to be catching Deduno exclusively, thus the increase in walks compared to Fryer and Suzuki, which is the main difference among them.Not sure that it is significant either...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

A trade for a similarly down prospect might work, but the Twins really need a catcher long term with a bat. I hope they are willing to give him a start every series at catcher next year. It must be possible to match him up with pitchers with better command than Deduno.

I would give him Nolasco in September. Suzuki has caught every one of his pitches this year. How much worse can it be?

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,374 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I would give him Nolasco in September. Suzuki has caught every one of his pitches this year. How much worse can it be?

The problem is that far too many of Nolasco's pitches didn't get to Suzuki this year!
  • Tibs likes this

#29 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

Try him in a corner OF position. Maybe he can give you Josh Willingham defense in LF.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rochester, catcher, trade candidate, pinto