Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Say Hello To Vikings Journal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

On a day-to-day basis, Twins Daily talks Twins, but what fuels Twins Daily is Community. That’s what I (and most of us) find even more rewarding than our baseball obsession.

That’s true of other sports, too. I don’t know how many times The Voice of Reason™ and I have gone out to watch a sporting event just because we wanted to be in a crowd. These are the memories that stay with me, good or bad. Downtown in ’91. Joe Carter’s heart-breaking blast in a South Street bar. The Vikings taking a knee with friends in our basement. The North Stars grinding their way to the Stanley Cup Finals as I worked at William’s Pub. Sam Cassel getting hurt in 2004 as my friends and I shook our heads.The moment makes them memorable, but so does the shared sense of community. THAT is what I really value about sports. That is why “we cheer for laundry,” as the cynics say, but they miss the point. It isn’t the laundry that is important. It’s the “we.”

That’s why we’re launching VikingsJournal.com today. We believe in sports. We believe in community. We believe in we. And I think you’re going to find the same excellence, love, passion, intelligence, independence and civility that define Twins Daily, only we’re going to bring it to the most popular sport and the most popular team in the state, the Vikings.

So please stop by today and check out our excellent writers and comment on our forums and encourage the football bloggers and try and win yourself one of a couple dozen free pizzas. In the new reality, communities don’t hoard their members. They share their passion. If football is a passion of yours – or if community is passion of yours – stop by. We’ll welcome you all over again.

Sincerely,
John, Brock, Seth, Nick, Parker, Bo, AJ, Arif and Joe

---
Speaking of pizza, the Twins won yesterday so Friday you can get a 1/2 price large or extra-large pizza at PapaJohn.com using the promo code 'twinswin'.

Click here to view the article

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

It's always interesting to me at least... It seems I've become really TwinsCentric. It's what I write about 4-5 times each week. It's what I follow daily in season and in the offseason. 

But on Sunday's throughout the football season, I don't miss a Vikings game, and I enjoy listening to the postgame reaction from fans on the radio, especially when things are going poorly.  I may not follow it as closely as I do baseball, but I've been a huge Vikings fan as long as I remember... I remember the pass in the flat to Darrin Nelson that wasn't quite caught. I remember sitting at home, writing out play-by-play in a notebook and constantly keeping up with the game stats. 

Add in the fantasy football aspect of a Sunday afternoon, and I'm hooked for that day. 

I'm really looking forward to reading more about the Vikings through the eyes of these incredibly talented, passionate writers (Bo Mitchell, AJ Mansour, Arif Hasan and Joe Oberle). I think it'll take my Sunday enjoyment to a different level. It'll also keep me engaged all week. 

I know that most sports fans in Minnesota have a favorite team but it does seem like most follow to some degree all of the local teams. Vikings fans are Twins fans and vice versa...

#3 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Any plans to add a Wild/Gophers centric site?

#4 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

Twins Daily is sooooooo good, I expect the same from Vikings Journal ;) (I would have named it Vikings Daily).

Be checking it out and all the best to it's future!!!

#5 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Drew Butera's Fastball

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Why is there a post about the Vikings in the Minnesota Twins forum? Shouldn't this be in another forum?

Get the moderators on this. Can't have this purple and gold BS infringing on Twins Territory.

• The Greatest Poster Alive likes this

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Mike Pelfrey is a Sasquatch

#6 Sweetwater

Sweetwater

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Will be frequenting Vikings Journal from now on. I've had just about all I can take of the "alternatives" for football.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,351 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Why is there a post about the Vikings in the Minnesota Twins forum? Shouldn't this be in another forum?

Get the moderators on this. Can't have this purple and gold BS infringing on Twins Territory.

I could imagine moderators giving scrutiny to posts in this thread, yes. :)

"Hello," he lied.

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Sadly, I don't think I'll be partaking, and I'm sad to see that portion of this community leave.  I'm not attempting to be a negative Nelly, but I'm really not a Vikings fan, but I enjoy talking football, and the Vikings board is where that was happening.  I hope football conversation happens on the "The Sports Bar" board without issue for those who choose to talk football more than talk Vikings specifically.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#9 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Drew Butera's Fastball

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

Dear moderators, there's still a Vikings related thread on the Twins forum. It's this tread. This one. Make it go away, it's clogging my red, white and blue bloodstream with purple and gold. I'm dying. Save me.

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Mike Pelfrey is a Sasquatch