Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Bizarre Twins Advertising

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

This morning, the Minnesota Twins account tweeted the following:

Minnesota Twins ‏@Twins· 2h 
Over 20,000 clients have trusted Hoglund Law with their social security disability case. Call today at 888-792-6009. http://atmlb.com/1mMps4Y

I'm in complete agreement with the following:

Retweeted by Seth Stohs

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector· 2h 
This is just embarrassing from an MLB team. You’re that desperate for a little extra cash?

I'm just flummoxed by this.  Are the Twins now raising cash based on tweeting advertising?  This isn't even the personal injury firm that advertises by doing the ridiculous reminders during the game about ownership of broadcast rights.

First, I'm ashamed of the Twins for "advertising" in their tweets regardless of the subject of the 3rd party advertising (and I'm about ready to unfollow the Twins).

Second, I despair at the depths to which advertising by law firms has now fallen.

P.S. I hope they were hacked but it really doesn't seem all that likely.

Edited by JB_Iowa, 14 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.

• Sconnie likes this

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Super sad, really. Super, super sad.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

I was commenting about that the other night..."look at all of the Fortune 500 names placing advertising plaques and billboards on the MinuteMaid outfield walls...the only one slightly embarrassing is Citgo,"

Meanwhile the Twins prominently feature in their commmercials the ambulance chasers, Meshbesher & Spence.  What next?  Bankruptcy lawyers, Jack Prescott and Sons?

Edited by jokin, 14 August 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• Craig Arko likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#4 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

I was disappointed to see that today too. I was hoping it was a hack and that the Twins hadn't sold out their Twitter account to ad execs...but it appears that EVERYTHING has a price.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Maybe they were just tweeting this out for the benefit of their top prospects, who will likely be eligible for some sort of disability benefits given their 2014 seasons? :)

• USAFChief, gil4 and Sconnie like this

#6 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 907 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm really starting to dislike social media like facebook and Twitter because of this very reason being forced to view unwanted and the phony advertising and commercials disguised as story content.

#7 S.

S.

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

When you're fielding a World Series caliber MLB team with as much high priced talent as the Twins, you gotta milk your fan base for every last dollar to keep signing those top tier free agents.

Oh wait...

seinfled.gif

Edited by S., 14 August 2014 - 10:11 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#8 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Looks like they deleted the tweet. Good move. That was about as shameless as it gets. The Twins (and probably other MLB teams) have a real problem being tone deaf and not understanding how bad money grabs like that look to fans. 

• Danchat likes this

#9 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

They had one on facebook as well, a lot of teams do use social media to advertise, however for a crappy law firm with tacky creative etc it just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I am fine when they tie it into a promotion (i.e. Pepsi Bat night or whatever)

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

This certainly doesn't help public perception about ownership and what they prize most.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, snepp and 2 others like this

#11 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I am fine when they tie it into a promotion (i.e. Pepsi Bat night or whatever)

I don't have a problem with that either.  They should promote what they are doing.  I didn't even have a problem with all the TF concert promotions, etc.

This just was so totally unrelated to their product.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#12 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Stacking checks. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

This certainly doesn't help public perception about ownership and what they prize most.

Perception? Reality.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#14 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

The new regime brings hope to Twins fans. (maybe)

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

This just looks so bad for the Twins. And I'm one who does not consider the Pohlads to be cheap or lacking in their desire for a World Series.

The promotions are fine, though the 'Summer's Eve Bobblehead Night' was awkward.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#15 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,414 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

They have a PR guy running the team not a baseball guy so what would expect?  

Super America on the backs of the ball persons I thought was over the top. Where next? I wouldn't be surprised to see baseball uniforms look like NASCAR driver suits before long.

• Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#16 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Nick Punto's Ghost

• Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

If someone wanted to pay me to tweet out links to their business, I would, almost without question.

If you don't have room on your timeline for an extra few Tweets from the Twins, unfollow them.That's what's great abou Twitter, if you don't like what someone is doing, you just unfollow them.

Sometimes I record a podcast and then asks pseudo-famous guests that were on the podcast to tweet out the link.

Are the Twins tweets any different than the "That's the ticket" series that Twins Daily does that's sponsored by Ticket King?

Get paid for content. Why not?

Edited by Paul Pleiss, 16 August 2014 - 12:53 PM.

• Beezer07 likes this

nick%2Bpunto%2Bshirtless.jpg

#17 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

If someone wanted to pay me to tweet out links to their business, I would, almost without question.

If you don't have room on your timeline for an extra few Tweets from the Twins, unfollow them.That's what's great abou Twitter, if you don't like what someone is doing, you just unfollow them.

Sometimes I record a podcast and then asks pseudo-famous guests that were on the podcast to tweet out the link.

Are the Twins tweets any different than the "That's the ticket" series that Twins Daily does that's sponsored by Ticket King?

Get paid for content. Why not?

The Twins are a half a billion dollar company that brings in hundreds of millions of dollar every year.I have to pay very good money to enjoy their product.On the flip side you are not a millionaire and I pay nothing for your podcast or for viewing Twins Daily.If you (or those at Twins Daily) choose to make a buck by advertising that is not unreasonable.You havea right to get paid for your time and effort.The Twins on the other hand are already getting paid for their time in other ways.They are just trying to double dip.

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

The Twins are a half a billion dollar company that brings in hundreds of millions of dollar every year.I have to pay very good money to enjoy their product.On the flip side you are not a millionaire and I pay nothing for your podcast or for viewing Twins Daily.If you (or those at Twins Daily) choose to make a buck by advertising that is not unreasonable.You havea right to get paid for your time and effort.The Twins on the other hand are already getting paid for their time in other ways.They are just trying to double dip.

I agree with you, but I don't have a problem with the Twins double dipping. I do however have higher expectations of the Twins than this. Yes this site does have sponsored content and banner ads, but at least the sponsored content ties in to what Twins Daily is. When Dairy Queen hat night occurs, it's absolutely double dipping, but at least baseball caps are a part of baseball, even if DQ isn't exactly Cracker Jack. Ambulance chasers in a Tweet is just plain lazy

#19 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

I think there's a big difference between the "That's the Ticket" series, since they contain write-ups of the upcoming series, and I often find them to be interesting content that's completely related the site. In other words, it's a tie-in that makes perfect sense.

The Twins just made their Twitter account available to the highest-bidding ambulance chaser. I'd say that's night and day.

#20 whitsbrain

whitsbrain

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

You want sad?  Have you seen we have a new WNBA team in town?  Yep, get to Target Center to cheer on your Minnesota Mayo Clinics!

Advertising has been creeping into all major sports for years.  It's only a matter of time until a NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB team starts wearing jerseys with ads.  Eventually, they will look like NASCAR drivers.  I've got nothing against making a buck but when that happens, I'm out.