Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Buxton Injured in AA Debut

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Sweetwater

Sweetwater

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

2014 has not been kind to the cream of our crops.

This sucks. I hope both he and Sano will go back to crushing it next year.

#42 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,010 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

I wish that the Twins would lecture their minor league players to simply let the ball drop rather than risk a collision that might end a career.  Maybe that would do no good, but these are minor league games that mean nothing, and I would rather let a few balls drop than ever see this again.

Who knows how good Kubel would have been if not for the collision that destroyed his knee, and now we have a situation where it seems possible that Buxton may never fully recover from the concussion.

I also wonder why it would not be possible to provide Buxton with a padded hat to wear in the field for the rest of his career, that might give him some protection against another concussion.  Obviously this applies to all teams and all prospects.  In an era where new materials are being invented all the time, it seems to me that professional sports teams in general should be a lot more proactive in developing innovations to protect their players.

#43 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

I wish that the Twins would lecture their minor league players to simply let the ball drop rather than risk a collision that might end a career.  Maybe that would do no good, but these are minor league games that mean nothing, and I would rather let a few balls drop than ever see this again.

Who knows how good Kubel would have been if not for the collision that destroyed his knee, and now we have a situation where it seems possible that Buxton may never fully recover from the concussion.

I also wonder why it would not be possible to provide Buxton with a padded hat to wear in the field for the rest of his career, that might give him some protection against another concussion.  Obviously this applies to all teams and all prospects.  In an era where new materials are being invented all the time, it seems to me that professional sports teams in general should be a lot more proactive in developing innovations to protect their players.

Maybe they could have them jog and take half swings too. Could prevent leg and oblique injuries.

• Twins Twerp and WLFINN like this
Papers...business papers.

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Let a ball drop??

Glunn, it is unfortunate when these incidents occur, but it is a hazard of the job. This may not be the big leagues, but it is still professional baseball. 

Let a ball drop because of the maybe 1/1000th of 1% risk of a freak thing like this happening? Wow, my mind is now officially blown. 

#45 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Unlucky injuries happen, you can't wrap him bubble wrap. Things happen, if he is meant to be a star he will be a star. Nobody said these sort of things when Griffey got hurt.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#46 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

*him in bubble wrap

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#47 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,010 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

Let a ball drop??

Glunn, it is unfortunate when these incidents occur, but it is a hazard of the job. This may not be the big leagues, but it is still professional baseball. 

Let a ball drop because of the maybe 1/1000th of 1% risk of a freak thing like this happening? Wow, my mind is now officially blown. 

I was talking about letting the ball drop instead of running at top speed into a probable collision with a teammate  In that situation, I believe that the probability of a significant injury is higher than .0001%.  I also believe that near collisions are not that common and that even if players were more conservative, the number of balls allowed to drop would be fairly small.

In my mind, a minor league game is essentially a training exercise akin to an exhibition game.  I don't like seeing prospects diving into the dugout to try to make a catch and taking similar risks in an exhibition game.  Yes, this shows heart and we all love the effort.  But now it's possible that Buxton may never fully recover and that makes me question what happened.

I appreciate the value of players always giving 110% and being willing to sacrifice their bodies to make a play.  But I am not the only person who feels that players like Puig on the Dodgers need to dial it down a little to reduce the risk of a major injury.  Now that Buxton has suffered what seems like a significant concussion, I wish that he would be a little more careful in what I see as essentially exhibition games.

I also understand that the centerfielder should yell to the corner outfielder to make it clear who should make the catch.  I don't know whether Buxton called for the ball or not.  I just wish that one of the two players had veered out of the way and we did not have to worry about whether Buxton will never be the same.  Also, I wish that someone would design comfortable headgear for outfielders that gives them at least some protection.  In my mind, even some protection would be better than none.

• Sweetwater likes this

#48 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Something tells me that Buxton is done for the season. Out cold for 10 minutes tells me this was not your run of the mill concussion.

#49 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I think expecting any young player to give less than 100% in a game situation is unrealistic, at best.

90% of these guys are wishing on a wing and a prayer to make the big leagues. You think any of them will dial it back when their best (if not only) shot at the Show is to prove to their organization how hard they're willing to work and play?

You're also not going to have "non-prospects" going all out and "prospects" taking it easy.

Finally, I don't believe you can expect a kid to spend 3-5 years playing at 95% effort and then, when they get to the big leagues, see them dial it back up to a level they haven't been producing at in the minors.

In sports, accidents happen, unfortunately. You can't take extreme measures to mitigate risk without significantly changing the result on the field.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, SydneyTwinsFan and 3 others like this

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#50 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Now that Buxton has suffered what seems like a significant concussion, I wish that he would be a little more careful in what I see as essentially exhibition games.

You may view them as "exhibition games", but I can guarantee you that not a single person on the field does, and I also can almost guarantee you that if any of them did view it as such, they would immediately have zero respect from any of their teammates, opponents, or fans in the stands. 

• WLFINN likes this

#51 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

here is some interesting info:

Sounds like the ball was to the right fielder (who caught it) Not sure whether he yelled for it or not.And Buxton was overzealous and kinda caused this himself...

I think Buxton is feeling the pressure of being the number one prospect in baseball, trying a little too hard to live up to that billing. If hes going to live up to his billing he'll need to learn to play smarter and not harder, learn that hes not superman and can't run thru walls and run down every ball.

Bud Grant had a saying about the same players are always hurt, wish I could find it.

#52 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Nobody knows how bad this concussion is. Knocked out or not, the severity of each is different. He is young and has a greater ability to heal. After all symptoms are gone let him dh for a little while. You can't bubble wrap him and expect him to be ready for the mlb, but you can try and avoid another concussion for the remainder of the season while getting him competitive at bats.
Do or do not. There is no try.