Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Buxton Injured in AA Debut

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

I hope he's able to play with his baby boy soon. That will be the best therapy money can't buy.
  • Seth Stohs, Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

If its a concussion I think you shut him down for the rest of the year and start him in High-A next year. Just pretend like this year never happened.

#23 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

• snepp and crapforks like this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#24 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 452b or bust

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

@AmoreCourant: Mike Kvasnicka, also in the collision, has sore hip. Terry Ryan says Buxton has only concussion, no other injuries. Out at least 7 days.

We can breathe again.

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

Only concussion? That is not a good thing. You do know that is the brain, right? I wonder when this team will get good news on a top prospect.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hopefully he will not have had any concussion history and these symptoms will clear up quickly, for his sake and his family's, and then more selfishly for Twins fans out there.

Maybe once he and Mauer are on the same field, their respective bad medical karma will cancel each other out, and time spent on the DL will be strictly in the past tense.

#27 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

Only concussion? That is not a good thing. You do know that is the brain, right? I wonder when this team will get good news on a top prospect.

I don't think he meant it like that, obviously concussions are serious and with span/Mauer/morneau/Koskie you hope we are due for a quick bounce back for once from one.

I think he meant "only concussion" in the fact it wasn't a much more serious neck type injury, which not only could instantly end a career, it could effect a man for the rest of his life.
  • Halsey Hall, Tibs and WLFINN like this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

I don't think he meant it like that, obviously concussions are serious and with span/Mauer/morneau/Koskie you hope we are due for a quick bounce back for once from one.

I think he meant "only concussion" in the fact it wasn't a much more serious neck type injury, which not only could instantly end a career, it could effect a man for the rest of his life.

Yes. When someone is out cold 10 minutes I think a concussion is the best case scenario.
Papers...business papers.

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 14,515 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ah, that makes sense. I hope the young man recovers, for his sake, not ours.
  • ScottyB, adjacent, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Oh my goodness. Best wishes to the young man. Maybe it is best for Buxton to call it a season and come into spring training fresh ad healthy.

#31 Wookiee of the Year

Wookiee of the Year

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Damn.

I don't even know what to think. As others have said, I'm relieved to hear it's not worse, while also recognizing a concussion is not to be taken lightly.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

#32 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

Sounds crazy but I'm glad it was only a concussion as well.Could have been so much worse considering how fast he was probably running and not wearing protective gear for such a collision.I understand that many a player lately has been ruined by concussions, but there are also not many players who have played high school football who haven't had a concussion before.Most of them have probably gone on to have symptom free lives. I'm sure he will be fine. 

The question no one is asking is - how is Mike Krisnicka?I hope his injury isn't serious.He was starting to play well lately.Is there any word on the other guy?  

Prayers are out for both players. 

Edited by lightfoot789, 13 August 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#33 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

It looked bad, and there's a good chance he'll be shut down for the year, but as long as he's responsive and has full mobility, I feel better.

25 under 30 ™

#34 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

A concussion isn't the end of the world. Sure, some players have trouble coming back. Some are fine a few days after. I'm not going to get too wound up about it. 

Do or do not. There is no try.

#35 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:05 PM

Just ****.

• ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

#36 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

Glad he's 'OK' considering. It really does feel like the Twins are snake-bitten. However, you have to wonder if some of this is him just being a fearless/reckless type player on defense. Hopefully he can learn where the line is between playing all out and being foolish.

#37 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

I'm guessing part of this is playing with new people. Buxton and Kvasnicka are playing together for the first time. They have to learn each others tendecies and each others range.

It sounds like Kvasnicka just had a bruise contusion on his hip. He should be playing within a few days.

Edit: Kvasnicka's name is really weird and hard to figure out to spell.

Edited by teekz, 14 August 2014 - 06:45 AM.

I got nothing!

#38 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

I agree, that was truly frightening- if he "only" has a concussion he is lucky relatively speaking. 

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

Now this is bad luck.  Buxton needs to avoid black cats, wow.

I'm laying the blame for this one at your feet, Levi. This is what happens when you say the Twins aren't unlucky. :D

• ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

#40 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

The video of the incident:

http://www.milb.com/...ent_id=35349193

The amazing thing: the catch was made.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!