Game-time forecast:It's still Houston so it's still hot and humid.
Brian'll be up when he's up ... stay tuned ...
Yeah UP when you are UP... Life is that way.
Things to Think About:
1. Minute Maid Park -- There was a time when it was called Enron Field. That changed quickly after it was discovered that Enron cooked it's books and all of sudden people were short a little bit of cash that they thought they had. Minute Maid became the new corporate sponsor because Orange Juice has never ripped anyone off. Unless you think you are buying pulp free and you end up with stuff with Pulp. I'd rather brush my teeth and drink Pulp Free then drink OJ with Pulp. I find Minute Maid Park charming... I've never been there but it looks charming with it's quirks and I've always been a fan of stadiums with quirks. The Crawford Boxes... Tal's Hill with a flag pole that is in play. A train full of oranges on train tracks that runs across the LF Wall. I'd feel differently if I found out that the stadium came with Pulp.
2. Josh Willingham -- Late yesterday it was announced that the Twins have dealt Josh Willingham to the Royals for a young pitcher named Jason Adam. Good Luck to Josh... I wish you well. He was one of us... Almost 3 years in a Twins uniform. The Last 2 years were nowhere near as good as the 1st year. That 1st year was pretty damn good but health and consistent plate production became an issue in year 2 and 3. He has always possessed power and I don't think the Twins will be able to replace it in 2014. They will have to figure that out for 2015. The Twins roster is turning over right now and it'll be interesting to see what happens in the off season.
3. Colin McHugh -- I already did a thing on Colin McHugh. He's an 18th round draft pick of the NY Mets in 2008. This guy has come out of nowhere and pitched quite well for the Astros in 2014. How out of nowhere... The Mets traded him to the Rockies and the Rockies DFA'ed him and the Astros said... "Why Not"? and they signed him. That was a good move in hindsight and I kinda wish the Twins would have signed him but who knew. I don't think the Astros expected anything either. He was a warm arm and that arm heated up. His ERA is sitting at 3.18. That's pretty good.
4. Home Run Production -- With the trade of Josh Willingham... My Thoughts go to Home Run Production. Brian Dozier has 20 home runs. 2nd Place... That belongs to Trevor Plouffe and Oswaldo Arcia with 8. When you consider that the opening Twins lineup featured very little speed it becomes quite simple. This team was supposed to hit more homeruns. The Twins are 23rd in the Majors with 88 dingers total. I'm going to beg the Twins to take a different approach for 2015. I'm going to beg the Twins for balance... Speed and Power please. Putting all your eggs in one basket rarely works and it never works when that one basket is almost empty. Please... Please... Please... Front office... Find some power that has power and add a bunch of speed to that. Balance is important or you will topple over.
5. Softball -- My 20 year old son's softball team is short handed so he's bringing his soon to be 49 year old Dad with him to play softball tonight. Here's the thing... This is a team full of 20 year old's and a team full of players that I used to coach. A team full of players that heard me constantly telling them to MOVE THEIR FEET. I was unrelenting... It's easy as coach because my job isn't to move my feet... They have to move their feet. Yep... I gave it to them pretty good and now the old man is about to get payed back.