Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Olney Blog: Sean Doolittle on Oakland & Sabermetrics (Tongue in Cheek)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let The Winning Begin!

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

When I first went to read this, I thought perhaps Doolittle was going to give us a little insight into Oakland's use of sabermetrics,

But I enjoyed his humorous look much more.  And i've no doubt that Oakland gets pretty specific in what they evaluate!

http://insider.espn....erseandoolittle

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,889 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Entertaining read for sure

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Zoilo's Magic Glasses

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

Good stuff.

What type of stats would the Twins use?

LAR - Legs above replacement. If you have bi-lateral leg weakness, that's an automatic -2.0 on the LAR scale.

HAH+ Heart and Hustle plus, adjusted to 100 for league average, above is better, below is worse. Gardy uses this stat to make his lineup. No heart, no hustle, no playing time.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

Email the show: talktocontact@gmail.com

Still waiting for Joe Benson to blossom...

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

This was great! Doolittle first provides some background on sabermetrics to establish that he knows what he's talking about, then he gets into the fun stuff. I take one exception however. Towards the end, Doolittle says:

"...And as the game evolves, so will the metrics. Hmm, maybe someday there'll be a metric to quantify clubhouse chemistry (the JON/nY GoM.E.S. phenomenon?)..."

No dice, my friend. That's not it, and the Twins keep it a closely guarded secret.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Good stuff.

What type of stats would the Twins use?

LAR - Legs above replacement. If you have bi-lateral leg weakness, that's an automatic -2.0 on the LAR scale.

HAH+ Heart and Hustle plus, adjusted to 100 for league average, above is better, below is worse. Gardy uses this stat to make his lineup. No heart, no hustle, no playing time.

According to the article, the Twins are second only to Oakland in WPA/3+C :)
  • Paul Pleiss likes this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge