Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

MLB Draft Discussion: Day 2

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#141 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

.952 OPS 16/21 SB/SBA. Solid pick.

#142 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Wow, Lee Mazilli's son is on the board! He was a projected 4th-5th rounder. There's your future 2nd baseman, Todd Walker with a little more moxie.

Yep! And here's what MLB.com says....

The son of former player and manager Lee Mazzilli, L.J. swung a hot bat for UConn all season. Mazzilli makes hard, consistent contact and is able to use the whole field. He has a short, compact swing and should be able to hit for a good average at the next level. He has shown good power this spring but many believe that at best, it will be average. He has the ability to steal some bases and has shown it throughout his college career, but it will not be his best asset. Mazzilli is not the greatest defender at second but scouts believe that with some instruction he could be an average defender. Mazzilli's bat will most likely be too much for teams to pass on in the top five rounds of the Draft.

We're actually getting some value in these middle rounds....

#143 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Clearly the description of the guy the Twins just picked means that he slid: "Mazzilli's bat will most likely be too much for teams to pass on in the top five rounds of the Draft." It is the 9th round of the draft.

Maybe I'm a little too conventional in my thinking, but I wouldn't mind seeing more subsequent picks looking like these last two, with an additional eye to Puerto Rico to gather a few more signable HSers.

#144 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Nick Wittgren goes to Ozzie. Yuck.

#145 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yep! And here's what MLB.com says....

The son of former player and manager Lee Mazzilli, L.J. swung a hot bat for UConn all season. Mazzilli makes hard, consistent contact and is able to use the whole field. He has a short, compact swing and should be able to hit for a good average at the next level. He has shown good power this spring but many believe that at best, it will be average. He has the ability to steal some bases and has shown it throughout his college career, but it will not be his best asset. Mazzilli is not the greatest defender at second but scouts believe that with some instruction he could be an average defender. Mazzilli's bat will most likely be too much for teams to pass on in the top five rounds of the Draft.

We're actually getting some value in these middle rounds....

Stop it SirLoin, too much optimism! Just when I had become more comfortable feeling jaded than optimistic about this draft (after Buxton).

#146 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

i think that this is where the Twins start going for MN players, because I have heard indications that they really liked some of the guys coming out of here and they haven't chosen many, if any, yet.

#147 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

So after the 1st 10 rounds, when we're out of the CBA's "bonus" rules, can teams pay someone anything? So a team could go back and revisit someone who was thought to be unsignable? Are any such players really available?

#148 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

i think that this is where the Twins start going for MN players, because I have heard indications that they really liked some of the guys coming out of here and they haven't chosen many, if any, yet.

Speaking of good pedigrees, will TJ Oakes still be there in the 10th round? If they liked DeVries and Thielbar, they've got to love Oakes.

Edited by jokin, 05 June 2012 - 03:26 PM.

#149 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Yay, the Sox just made a foolish pick. Even before the injury this year, Micah Johnson was falling in value since his freshman year.

#150 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,297 posts

you can only pay $100,000 after round 10.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#151 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

So after the 1st 10 rounds, when we're out of the CBA's "bonus" rules, can teams pay someone anything? So a team could go back and revisit someone who was thought to be unsignable? Are any such players really available?

Isn't the cap at $100,000 per?

#152 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

So $3 million tops if EVERYONE signed. If the Twins have the money now, they could pay $100,000 to everyone they actually want to sign. I am not sure how many teams are going to pay the full amount to many of these guys.

#153 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Isn't the cap at $100,000 per?

OK, cool. Thanks for letting me know.

#154 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Ha, probably because they have some pretty decent BP talent in the minors

The Twins already have sufficient Batting Practice talent in the majors, Blackburn and Pavano and so forth, thankyouverymuch.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 05 June 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#155 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

When should we expect draftees to start signing?

#156 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

OK, cool. Thanks for letting me know.

I just found that out from Callis this morning . . . .

#157 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

[quote name='ashburyjohn'][quote name='nicksaviking']Ha, probably because they have some pretty decent BP talent in the minors /QUOTE]

The Twins already have sufficient Batting Practice talent in the majors, Blackburn and Pavano and so forth, thankyouverymuch.[/QUOTE]

Ouch! That'll leave a mark. Look on the bright side, Pavano is gone this year and Blackie not later than next.

#158 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

DJ Baxendale from Arkansas. Apparently another starter that can throw in the low 90s. Yes.

#159 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,536 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I just checked Baxendale's bio at Arkansas. BA had him rated #85. Yes, again.

#160 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I just checked Baxendale's bio at Arkansas. BA had him rated #85. Yes, again.

Is BA baseballamerica? I just checked there and they have him at 319